Single best crunch for abs?

If you had to choose just one type of abdominal crunch, which would you pick? I have lots of mild cardio built into my daily routine, including walking around with a heavy backpack, but I can't stand gyms and I've never stuck with a formal strength-training regimen. It's been years since I did any strength training. Now I want to try adding a very basic daily set of bodyweight exercises: just squats, pushups, and crunches. I know how to do the first two, but I've seen a million variations on crunches and I don't know which one to pick (and I'm only going to pick one, sorry).

Replies

• ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    I would say if you are only going to do one, then do bicycle crunches.
  • Like this, you mean?

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/Bicycle_Crunch.htm

That seems doable. I'm not ruling out adding more exercises, as well as some weight for the squats (my thighs are strong for someone who hasn't been formally working out), but I'm just trying to start small with something I can definitely stick to.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Yup, thats what I was refering to. Just make sure that you do them in a slow and controlled manner.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Plank.
    Technically not a crunch, but i think it works rhe core so much more than crunches.
  • What ZyLahe said; the plank. Im a certified personal trainer. Crunches arent very effective at building a nice abdominal core. Things that involve the deep inner core"Transverses abdominal) muscle are.

These things include planks and stomach vacuums. Also things like ab wheels, and putting your hands on a upside down boso ball and doing knee tucks work also.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Side planks.
  • Planks, like in yoga class? I can do those. Should I hold it as long as possible and work my way up, or do several of them alternating with something else, or...?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Amateurs. Front lever raises is where it's at. :laugh:

http://youtu.be/EpL3fCb1jS0
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Planks, like in yoga class? I can do those. Should I hold it as long as possible and work my way up, or do several of them alternating with something else, or...?

Try all sorts of things. Regularly. It all challenges the core and builds strength. :-)

Add variations to the plank such as having the hands further forward than for a normal plank or walking the hands towards the feet and back to the start. Look up hindu push ups, mountain climbers, bear crawling...
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Another vote for the bicycle crunches. I knock out a hundred of them after every workout, but I think regular squatting and deadlifting give your core a tremendous amount of work.
  • Unfortunately, you have picked the wrong body part to only do one exercise.

Your core, twists about 280 degrees, goes backwards and forwards (crunches only go forwards) moves side to side, goes forwards twists and moves side to side, has to protect you from sudden impacts (bracing), adjusts your centre of gravity and so on and so forth.

With your rucksack, and assuming you know how to engage your core.

woodchoppers - 15 each side
    gravediggers - 15 each side
    oblique side raises - 25 each side nice and slow
    get two rucksacks, raise your arms to shoulder height, engage your rotator cuff moving shoulders backwards, turn to the left, back to centre, turn to the right - slow rep counts and 15 each side and try to increase range of twist each time.
    single stiff leg deadlift - rucksack as the counterbalance and forces you to balance and use the core
    crunches - holding rucksack at your chest or behind head for high intensity
    plank - wear the rucksack if you want
    superman - to reverse all the forward movements
    cobra - to reverse all the forward movements

Cheers
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Actually most exercises already work your core. While the above workout is excellent and the post know their stuff the one thing I would focus on is your diet and lowering your bf%. You're abs will show when you get that down low enough.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Squats and deadlifts.

OK how about hanging leg raises (hold pullup bar, keeping legs straight move ankles to hands)

I personally have yet to do any direct ab work of note. I will do a little when I switch to bulking.
  • Thanks, laddyboy. I'm not so much looking to rip my abs as just trying to add muscle and burn fat more generally. I understand the abs aren't critical for that, which is why I'm focusing less on them, but I appreciate the advice.
  • For bodyweight training, you might want to check out the book Convict Conditioning. I started doing it and I really like it. In the book they have you do leg raises. For beginners you start off doing leg raises from the edge of a chair or table.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Unfortunately, you have picked the wrong body part to only do one exercise.

Your core, twists about 280 degrees, goes backwards and forwards (crunches only go forwards) moves side to side, goes forwards twists and moves side to side, has to protect you from sudden impacts (bracing), adjusts your centre of gravity and so on and so forth.

With your rucksack, and assuming you know how to engage your core.

woodchoppers - 15 each side
    gravediggers - 15 each side
    oblique side raises - 25 each side nice and slow
    get two rucksacks, raise your arms to shoulder height, engage your rotator cuff moving shoulders backwards, turn to the left, back to centre, turn to the right - slow rep counts and 15 each side and try to increase range of twist each time.
    single stiff leg deadlift - rucksack as the counterbalance and forces you to balance and use the core
    crunches - holding rucksack at your chest or behind head for high intensity
    plank - wear the rucksack if you want
    superman - to reverse all the forward movements
    cobra - to reverse all the forward movements

Cheers

THIS!!
  • desilu69
    desilu69 Posts: 79
    Plank.
    Technically not a crunch, but i think it works rhe core so much more than crunches.

You have this one right.. My abs scream at me after planks. I feel I have done a better ab workout with planks then if I do crunches
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    I agree bicycle crunches or planks.

But I also agree that you're going to get the best results by reducing fat. The strength training is important too, though.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    I prefer the big crunch. It works your abs from the inside out. ***please use with caution, this is an advanced training technique.
    9afefd55.jpg
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Thanks above poster, that exact thing has led to my current 'abs':grumble:

:laugh:

When I went to a personal trainer, I was amazed that the best core work besides the plank and push ups, was not holding on while doing your cardio

I feel sad when I see someone on 10 incline, going 10mph and holding on for dear life:tongue: She would pull my hands from the arm bars on the Ellip and made me learn to do it hands free.

Oh and I felt BAD *kitten* doing it:laugh: (this from the girl who strarted out with 2 minutes and a tank of oxygen:embarassed: )