Building Muscle and Burning Fat

Options
13»

Replies

• ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    belly fat is the hardest for guys to lose especially once you hit 30. for guys, fat is first stored around the midsection. the fat will come and go depending on the amount of carbs / bad fats he eats and how cardio is done. remember cals in vs. cals out.

if he wants to build muscle and stay lean he will need a diet with cetarin macros (pro/carbs/fats) he should eat a higher protien diet. his daily protien in take should be 1g to 1.5g x his body wieght. for example if your husband is 180lbs his protien in take shoul be between 180g-270g. to give you an idea of a meal plan to follow he should try 50%pro 30%carbs 20%dietary fat. if he has a 200 cal per day meal plan 50% of his cals should come from protien (1000cals or 250g) 30% form good complex cabs maninly veggies of the non starch variety (600 cals or 150g) 20% from dietary fat (google dietary fat) (400 cals or 45g).

1g of pro = 4 cals
    1g of carbs = 4 cals
    1g of fat = 9 cals

Very helpful information!
  • SOJohnston
    Options
    How can you say "You cannot though, build muscle and burn fat at the same time" - the more muscle you build the more calories 9and fat) your body burns! This type of comment is what makes people avoid strength training. THe gol should be a healthy, strong, lean body and you do that by incorpoating strength trainin.
    Women, don't confuse strength training with body building - totally different.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    How can you say "You cannot though, build muscle and burn fat at the same time" - the more muscle you build the more calories 9and fat) your body burns! This type of comment is what makes people avoid strength training. THe gol should be a healthy, strong, lean body and you do that by incorpoating strength trainin.

Most of what you say here is correct but you are not talking about building muscle, as in growing new muscle fibers. You are talking about neuromuscular adaptation, which makes your existing muscle tissue a little bigger, a lot stronger and leaner and better looking. Either way, it's incredible beneficial. See Davpul and my posts on the previous page. It looks like you may have skipped that based on your post.

PS: I 'm glad you are encouraging women to strength train!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    How can you say "You cannot though, build muscle and burn fat at the same time" - the more muscle you build the more calories 9and fat) your body burns! This type of comment is what makes people avoid strength training.

:noway: How can he say that? Because you cannot build muscle and burn fat at the same time. The reasons have been thoroughly laid out in this very thread.
  • Reneefit135
    Options

Most of what you say here is correct but you are not talking about building muscle, as in growing new muscle fibers. You are talking about neuromuscular adaptation, which makes your existing muscle tissue a little bigger, a lot stronger and leaner and better looking. Either way, it's incredible beneficial. See Davpul and my posts on the previous page. It looks like you may have skipped that based on your post.

You guys that posted so much of this info were right I can see changes already. I dont know how to ad a link here but if you can find my post about "Before Pic - Advice on bloated belly" take a look at that, i am developing some muscle and believe it or not losing fat. The advice i got here was just what i needed. I dont feel confused about it anymore.
  • mmapags
    Options
    You guys that posted so much of this info were right I can see changes already. I dont know how to ad a link here but if you can find my post about "Before Pic - Advice on bloated belly" take a look at that, i am developing some muscle and believe it or not losing fat. The advice i got here was just what i needed. I dont feel confused about it anymore.

That is just awesome girl!! Good for you!!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

The number of muscle fibres a person has is genetic. They don't change. You can increase the size of them, of decrease the size. but you can't increase the count of them.

It's true when you first start strength training there is a size increase, thats mostly blood and water retention however. and there will be a small noobs gains phase too.
  • mmapags
    Options

The number of muscle fibres a person has is genetic. They don't change. You can increase the size of them, of decrease the size. but you can't increase the count of them.

It's true when you first start strength training there is a size increase, thats mostly blood and water retention however. and there will be a small noobs gains phase too.

Thank you for that correction. So, help me to understand better. When a person builds muscle in a surplus, what is happening. Are they growing new muscle cells? Or just making the size of the cells larger? Eg Hypertrophy?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that you can't burn fat and build muscle at the same time. In order to get a nice muscular physique, you need to eat at a surplus while strength training to gain both muscle and fat, and then eat at a calorie deficit while continuing with the strength training to burn the fat and maintain most of your muscle. So depending on what your husband wants to do, bulk or cut, go from there. Although IMO he needs to figure this stuff out on his own, unless you are keeping a food diary for him and keep track of everything he puts in his mouth.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Fantastic! Great job getting thru the BS and just getting it done! If you have more questions just holler. Best wishes.
  • ChaoticVirus
    Options
    For the past year and a half, every week or two, I would check my body fat percentage, muscle mass in each part of my body through my clinic, and change the amounts of carbs, protein, fats, calories, etc to get in tune with my body and get ripped. I completely understand that most people would need to be at a calorie surplus and need more protein sometimes rather than carbs to gain muscle and lose fat, but for some people like me, I would need about 2600 calories and 300g of carbs with my weight lifting and low intensity cardio (2 hours daily) (I weigh about 184lbs btw). IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR BODY TYPE AND AMOUNT OF CARDIO. As an endomorph, I'm trying to get ripped while gaining muscle on the side. Here are a few priceless pointer's I've learned and hopefully it will help everyone to lose the fat and build muscle:

1) You're carbs are SOOOO important. I lost a little bit of muscle when I played around with the amount of daily carbs to get to a ketonic state to lose the stubborn belly fat. INTERMITTENT FASTING actually works because over time while you're fasting when you're body doesn't have any energy from food, it starts burning off some of the fat that the body was never able to go through (through low intensity exercises) because the food and other fats in the body have always been at use for energy (and never the love handles' fat). Believe it or not, the lowest I am able to go without losing muscle is about 250ish grams of carbs. That's just the way my body works. Protein has always been the same at around 200gs. Daily fats have always been at around 22-25%.

2) You can not, and I repeat, you CAN NOT build muscle if you are not completely hydrated. I'm talking at least a gallon (for me) a day because lean muscle tissue contains about 80% water. That's why creatine works so well because because it puts more water in your muscles.

3) Cardio is very important for recovery and faster results. Basically, more blood flow, the better. I always go for low-intensity cardio because my high intensity time is at the gym, and I would have to add sooo many more carbs if I did some HIT (works well, but I don't feel like having to compensate my macros all of the time. I still do it every now and then)

4) As an endomorphs, portion control is important as well because that can make or break your goals. I get bloated so easily because my body doesn't produce enough lactase enzymes and other digestives enzymes (maybe). I use Beano, or lactase enzyme supplements (both from wal-mart). They work okay.

That should help, and if there's anything I might have totally overlooked, just let me know