ANy nursing students or medical professionals?

Options
I am going through nursing school right now and gained 20lbs due to the stress and the increase in alcohol consumption. I really want to get healthy again. I love to exercise and be active but all the studying that I have to do and all the hours in class really put a damper on my weight loss goals. I would love to meet some people on here with similar struggles or someone who has been through it. Always willing to meet someone new!

Replies

• kirstiesharpe2209
    Options
    I've just qualified and I too gained 30lbs in 3 years, feel free to add :) and go you, nursing school is tough!
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am a Healthcare worker. While not necessarily, school, Its a bit similar.
    I find it a bit hard to stick to a workout plan due to the crazy hours I work, but I make due.
    Feel Free to add
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my ADN classes in 24 days.

I've been concerned about being able to stick to my workout plan and calorie goal once classes begin, this does not help ease my concerns. Lol.
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    nursing student here...feel free to add me. just getting ready to start clinicals this fall, and i'd be lying if i said i wasn't nervous about what the next 4 semesters has in store for me. i don't really know where i'm going to fit my workouts into my schedule. all of my classes are at the same time as my gym's childcare center business hours. hoping to set up a small workout space in my basement, but i really hate working out at home.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse, and when i was training EVERY.SINGLE.ONE of my classmates picked up loads! Good luck in losing it.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I've been a nurse for 5 years... just got off of night shift! I have my ADN and right now I'm pursing my BSN. Feel free to add me :happy:
  • Stargirlsmiles88
    Stargirlsmiles88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my B.S. in speech pathology/audiology this year and applying to graduate school to earn my doctorate (in audiology). I know what you mean about studying! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    RHIT in the making!!! Do I count? I've gained a pound and I'm only 4 weeks into my Pathophysiology class. Ugh.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I graduated last year with my nursing degree (BSN baby!). I hear ya on gaining weight. It took my six years to get a four year degree! I gained a bunch of weight and lost sixty five pounds my last semester. But now that I am working (nights) I am having a hard time with weight again. I have gained about 20ish pounds back and my routine is really off. I will get it back...eventually. Anyway, feel free to add me. Hold your head up high and keep at it. It's tough but you can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start my prereqs to get my BSN on top of my (not so useful) BA in Creative Writing. Feel free to add me, anyone. :)
  • hannahw4949
    Options
    I put on about 1/2 stone during my nurse training, then lost it. Last year I started working in theatre and again started to gain weight. With zumba twice a week and a strict diet I`ve managed to loose 2stone, I understand it`s difficult though. Good luck. Hannah
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I did the opposite. I lost weight as I went through nursing school.. coffee..cigarettes and more coffee.. lol
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    Options
    Vodkoffee is one of the best usernames.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am a Patient Home Care Supervisor....237 client base 80 percent of who are diabetics. Lets talk stress. When I was studying I found that my mind could not take in more than my seat was willing to endure. There fore I would remedy the situation with a 15 minute break to ease the tension. Can you get away from the books for 15 minutes to take a short but intense walk. Might lessen the stress and help with weight gain. You have to take care of you or who will take care of your patients!!!?
    You will prevail.
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i start nursing school in a couple months but gaining weight has never really concerned me because my mom went through same college and same nursing school, they have a gym there. just gonna make it a habit to go to the gym everyday before class like my mom did, and count calories. i hope to be at my goal weight by then so ill be working to tone and maintain
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am a combat medic in the Army and I work at Ranger School. The hours are ridiculous. On a normal day i get up and work out at 0300 (am) before doing unit pt at 0630. Most days are not normal and i do what i can when i can
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've been a nurse for a year now. I gained 35 lbs while in school, then was able to hold steady in the last year. Just stay strong during school, take snacks and get plenty of rest. i know the work load is hard, but it will be worth it in the end even if your weigh may change during the time.
  • TayPat24
    TayPat24 Posts: 131
    Options
    Last year I did a 1 year certificate course in Pre-Health Studies, and am going into Nursing this year! I gained 50 pounds last year!!!!!
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    I was in Nursing School last year, but had to drop out due to surgical complications and long recovery.

Working on getting back in! Then, after that, it is the big MD for me.
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    Options
    Good Luck on the MD!