Showing why an HRM may be good to have

Options
Not saying people should get an HRM if they know how to take theirs manually, but today I did a comparison between calories burned using MFP , an HRM and my iphone app. I walked for 70 minutes at apx 3.0 mph. MFP calories are 380, my iphone (which takes into acct my weight) was 532 and my HRM is 660. If the numbers seem high, keep in mind I'm a big girl. Hoping someone finds this useful.

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're getting a more accurate reading. Calorie calculators can't take relative conditioning (heart rate) into account and, therefore, often times inaccurately estimate calories burned.

As you become increasingly more fit and lose weight, that 660 will start to come down, but everything is relative: you won't need as many calories each day either.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine was an eye opener for me too, lol. I had been going by MFP's numbers and it turns MFP was overestimating my caloric burns. Oops. :grumble:
  • AquaDITN
    AquaDITN Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not saying people should get an HRM if they know how to take theirs manually, but today I did a comparison between calories burned using MFP , an HRM and my iphone app. I walked for 70 minutes at apx 3.0 mph. MFP calories are 380, my iphone (which takes into acct my weight) was 532 and my HRM is 660. If the numbers seem high, keep in mind I'm a big girl. Hoping someone finds this useful.

Hi, I'm wanting to get a hrm(first one) and was wondering if you would mind telling me what you use? Also, which app are you using? There are so many choices. I want one that burns cals but is relatively easy to use. Thanks!
  • wxchaser
    wxchaser Posts: 178
    Options
    I know what you mean. I had that same problem. So glad I got the HRM. Today's run was a good example. Treadmill showed 200 calories, HRM 303. BIG difference.
  • Bethyvm
    Bethyvm Posts: 8
    Options
    I got my heart rate monitor about 2 weeks ago and love it. I love that it is set specifically to me, and I know that I am getting an accurate heart rate, without having to stop what I am doing and check, and an accurate calorie burn.

I have the Polar FT4 and I love it. I bought it off the Polar website and it was $62.00 with free shipping. :smile:
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have you also tested also when your at rest so you can see the true calorie burn? I got one (made by New Balance) and it would only register 20 calories different from an hour of rest vs an hour of walking. I returned it - suffice to say I would not recommend this brand.
  • Licacorona
    Licacorona Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started off with an HRM last year and found it wasn't workng for me so I bought the BodyMedia core and that's worked wonderfully for me for the past 3 weeks. I have struggled with weight loss since I had my baby almost 3 years ago so I just looked for what worked best to motivate me to getting those pounds off. It's not for everyone though and the downside is you have to wear it all day and it's noticeable when wearing short sleeves. People DO stare :tongue: Aside from that, I've found it to be accurate with the amount of weight I'm losing since it calculates how many calories I've burned throughout the day.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    MFP underestimated my Cals burned as well. Some by 50 whole others were 200 calories less. Makes a big difference. Maybe this is to be blamed for my weight loss stall :)
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options

Hi, I'm wanting to get a hrm(first one) and was wondering if you would mind telling me what you use? Also, which app are you using? There are so many choices. I want one that burns cals but is relatively easy to use. Thanks!

I just started using the Polar Ft4....easy to setup and use and the strap that goes around your chest is comfortable. The walking app I use is called Walkmeter which you can use to show distance walked/calories/pace, etc. You can also use it for training. Best thing is..it was free!
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am also in love with my HRM. I got a Garmin Forerunner 110 because I also wanted the GPS feature for my outdoor activities. I've found that MFP and the machines at the gym have been, for the most part, overestimating my calorie burn. The Zumba calculator website was also off. Amazingly, I've been doing ok with the wrong information, but now I can be sure I'm recording everything correctly!
  • chloebarge
    chloebarge Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I ran for 40mins today and mfp says i burned 330 but my heart rate monitor was about 450!
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Have you also tested also when your at rest so you can see the true calorie burn? I got one (made by New Balance) and it would only register 20 calories different from an hour of rest vs an hour of walking. I returned it - suffice to say I would not recommend this brand.

I guess my only test would be that I wore it around the house and sitting, seeing my hr was from about 111 to 120. Walking it averaged 160 with a max at 180 (I tried jogging a bit).
  • jojobeanm
    jojobeanm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys! I've always wondered how accurate the numbers were because the eliptical and the MFP are so different from each other.
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    MFP was also quite under with my calories burned, by over 100 sometimes. Love my Polar FT4!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I also found my HRM shows higher calories burned than the MFP database.
  • Sarahsbattle
    Sarahsbattle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a Mio HRM, and I love it. It's personalized by your age, gender, height, weight, and resting heart rate. You can change your weight, age, and resting heart rate, and it adapts to that. It seems to be pretty accurate, and it's a huge motivator in being able to see what you really burn. It's also just like a watch; so it's comfortable. I compared it to my friend's HRM with a chest strap, and it was almost exactly the same reading.
  • AquaDITN
    AquaDITN Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I just started using the Polar Ft4....easy to setup and use and the strap that goes around your chest is comfortable. The walking app I use is called Walkmeter which you can use to show distance walked/calories/pace, etc. You can also use it for training. Best thing is..it was free!

Thanks for your reply. I've heard a lot of good things about the Polar FT4 & FT7. That's where I'm leaning...just wanted to be sure before I shelled out $$. I'll have to try Walkmeter app. I've been using MapMyWalk.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM! :heart:

I have a Polar FT7 ..
  • iancranerocks
    iancranerocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Polar RS 100 and it's been a real eye opener for me. Not only are calorie counts for things like MFP and XBox sports / Dance Central, but I was training too hard before and not getting the most benefit for my effort. The polar calibrates each time you start exercising to determine the perfect zone to keep your heart rate at. And it starts beeping each time your heart beats when you're outside of the range. It's been a fantastic tool for me. I got it for $68 at Amazon.com with free overnight shipping via Discover card. I'm SO glad I got it!
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yeah mine was an eye opener for me too, lol. I had been going by MFP's numbers and it turns MFP was overestimating my caloric burns. Oops. :grumble:

thats exactly why I got mine! I feel much more confident with my exercise activity and numbers