Switching from cycling to running

Options
So I'm a bit of a cardio freak. I love it. I try and get in 5 hours of vigorous cycling a week . However, recently I've been feeling an itch to start running. Why, I have no clue as I've never been into it before, but I have a few questions regarding this.
One: Will starting to run be easier for me as I exercise quite often already?
Two: How do I start running? Do I hit the treadmill and just go for an hour, or should I build it up?
Three: Is there a 'right' way to run, efficiency wise?
Four: Calorie wise, I have been told I burn around 500 calories an hour for the effort of cycling I do (my machine says 800 but I'm slim and distrust figures pulled out of air), does that differ for running?

These may seem naive questions but it's just so I can get a general idea of the basics, if anyone wants to give me a bit of a 'how to' guide feel free! Thank you!

Replies

• tokens101
    tokens101 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    shamelessly bumping my own post
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One: Will starting to run be easier for me as I exercise quite often already?
    Cardio wise you are way ahead.  However, there is a danger in this because while your breathing will probably not be a big problem your leg muscles, tendons, and bones need time to strengthen against the higher impact of running vs. cycling.  So start conservatively and build slowly to prevent injury.  I would recommend starting with something like 3 miles 3 times a week and if everything feels good increase mileage and frequency from there as desired.
    Two: How do I start running? Do I hit the treadmill and just go for an hour, or should I build it up?
    I would start with 30 to 40 minutes at most the first week and if nothing hurts add a little the next week, and so on.  Also, it takes the body 3 to 6 weeks to adapt to a new workload so there is nothing wrong with only increasing the mileage or frequency every 3 to 4 weeks.  In fact, that's probably smarter than continually increasing week to week.  The key is being attuned to your body.  If something starts to hurt (as in injury hurt) then back off.  If everything feels good then drive on.
    Three: Is there a 'right' way to run, efficiency wise?
    Yes,  Google "Good Form Running" for instructions, diagrams, and videos.  Also, over time as you run more and introduce some pretty strenuous speedwork, your efficiency will increase.
    Four: Calorie wise, I have been told I burn around 500 calories an hour for the effort of cycling I do (my machine says 800 but I'm slim and distrust figures pulled out of air), does that differ for running?
    You should burn between 100 and 130 calories per mile running.  I have found the MFP database for running calories to be pretty accurate as long as you recorded weight is correct.
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'll try to answer a couple of your questions -

"One: Will starting to run be easier for me as I exercise quite often already?"
    Yes, you should be able to start running easily.

"Two: How do I start running? Do I hit the treadmill and just go for an hour, or should I build it up?"
    I suggest you build up. If you have access to a treadmill, you can start with walking (typical speed is 3.5 to 4.0), then increase to a comfortable jog (for me, that's 5.5, but the fast runners start at 6 and go up). Try to jog for 3 to 5 minutes (since you are already in good condition - otherwise, you do shorter increments). Then slow back down to a walk. Repeat for as long as you can go. Stretch afterwards. Over time, you should try to increase the incline of the treadmill - makes it closer to running on a street. Over time, you will decrease the length that you walk until you are running the entire workout.

"Three: Is there a 'right' way to run, efficiency wise?"
    I don't think I have anything to offer. There are articles that discuss foot strike and position, but I'm not familiar with the pros and cons. I do recommend you consider getting a good pair of shoes. If you think you are going to stick with running, you can go to a good running store and get your stride and foot strike analyzed and they will recommend a shoe for you.

"Four: Calorie wise, I have been told I burn around 500 calories an hour for the effort of cycling I do (my machine says 800 but I'm slim and distrust figures pulled out of air), does that differ for running? "
    This is an complicated question - the simple answer is that its the intensity that you run or cycle that will dictate your calorie output. I run and cycle and I typically burn over 10 calories a minute. For example, my last Spin class I was on the bike for 80 minutes and the bike indicated I burned 850 calories. Thats 10.625 calories per minute. My last treadmill run was 34 minutes and I burned 360 calories. That's 10.58 calories per minute. As you already observed, the machines usually indicate a higher calorie burn, especially for a smaller female, so I do NOT eat back that many calories. I just like to record the number cause it makes me feel like I accomplished something!

Just another comment for consideration: IMO, I get more benefit from cycling because I do it for longer and at a lower intensity compared to running. Clarification - I mean riding my bike on the road, not in Spin class. For example, today I did a jog that lasted 47 minutes. Tomorrow, I plan to go cycling with my husband, and I expect we will be on our bikes for at least 2 hours, usually 30 to 45 miles (average 16 mph). So, I'll be working for over twice as long in a working heart rate zone when I cycle compared to my jog, where I'm often over my working heart rate zone.

You might consider doing both the cycling and running - alternate days.

Good luck and hope you get some helpful feedback with your questions!