BRO Science...

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
People believe that you can lose weight and get ripped while eating any garbage you feel like, as long as you follow a specific calorie macro.

Though I do not disagree with this way of thinking, I would love to see someone win a marathon while sticking to such a diet.

Any takers for this challenge?

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    What does running a marathon have to do with getting ripped or losing weight? :tongue:

I'm a long ways off, but maybe I'll take you up on that when I've dropped another 80 pounds or so.
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

I've done half marathons and ate basically whatever I wanted. Let's just say, my stomach wasn't toned and My legs looked nice. :P
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    My point was basically this:

You can get ripped and build big muscles, and lose fat. However, your efficiency will be down because your body will not be digesting the food as well, and you won't be getting all the nutrients you need if you didn't eat foods that were packed with the good stuff.

I'd like to see someone prove that wrong.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'll give that one a big "who cares?" What I'm doing is working for me at the moment, so I'm happy.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I fit into the 'prove you right' category..... :(

Ran a marathon last year -- started out my training eating clean and feeling great, then slowly fooled myself into thinking that because I lacked energy I needed to eat more and more and more and..... well, anything. (Pizza is okay because I'm doing my long run tomorrow.....)

Gained 12 lbs and lost a minute off my pace in the last 6 weeks of training.

But I ran that race, dammit. And I'm still proud, and I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.
  • Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This is essentially true, however, for those of us who are really just looking to look and feel a little better in our clothes, having THE most efficient body ever isn't a higher priority than actually enjoying the food (and social situations which involve food) that we enjoyed before. For myself, I have been on and off of this site for years, because each time previously, I would change my diet so drastically that I felt deprived and would fall off the wagon. For me, it is imperative to my continuation with this weight-loss journey that I am able to eat with friends and family, and am able to have my favorite foods, so that I can continue to enjoy my life while working on my body. (This is not implying that there are not healthy AND delicious foods, but then I have to always be the one cooking to make sure I get them, which isn't realistic for my life)

I agree that those who need their body to work like a well-oiled machine must eat in a different, cleaner way, but for the many of us that are starting from a very unhealthy place, smaller steps are better steps. I will most likely implement eating plan changes once I get a few months into this, but even then, if my family has a cookout I am darned sure going to eat some!
  • kjanoudi
    kjanoudi Posts: 18
    Options
    if you are a guy, why would you want to look like a marathon runner? rather be "ripped" and "fit" than look like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Nkp57fg12V8/T6BZ2twVYZI/AAAAAAAAAAg/yFoMBG1eisY/s1600/skinny-runner-aerobics1.jpg
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I just saw an ad on TV where LeBron was wagering with anothe player on a one on one. The wager: loser pays for a BIG MAC and FRIES! lol. Yeah, because pro ballers get that way by slammin down Big Macs.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    People believe that you can lose weight and get ripped while eating any garbage you feel like, as long as you follow a specific calorie macro.

Though I do not disagree with this way of thinking, I would love to see someone win a marathon while sticking to such a diet.

I don't think you need any takers, you could probably find some athletes who have done marathons fuelled by junk food diet. Just look at Michael Phelps..etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options

I don't think you need any takers, you could probably find some athletes who have done marathons fuelled by junk food diet. Just look at Michael Phelps..etc.

I'd bet my left arm that no Olympic athlete has been eating junk food to get where they are.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    However, your efficiency will be down because your body will not be digesting the food as well

THIS sounds like bro science to me! I don't see why junk food would be any harder to digest. Or if it was, why that would be a bad thing. Foods like beans and broccoli are tough to digest but they're quite healthy.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

I'd bet my left arm that no Olympic athlete has been eating junk food to get where they are.

I saw somewhere what he eats in a day, I can guarantee, some people here would consider some of the stuff he eats junk.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'll give that one a big "who cares?" What I'm doing is working for me at the moment, so I'm happy.

^^ Yes, this the voice of reason.

Yes you can't eat junk every day but you know what....if I cut it out all together, then I would never make it to my goal weight.
  • cheercoach80
    Options
    This is essentially true, however, for those of us who are really just looking to look and feel a little better in our clothes, having THE most efficient body ever isn't a higher priority than actually enjoying the food (and social situations which involve food) that we enjoyed before. For myself, I have been on and off of this site for years, because each time previously, I would change my diet so drastically that I felt deprived and would fall off the wagon. For me, it is imperative to my continuation with this weight-loss journey that I am able to eat with friends and family, and am able to have my favorite foods, so that I can continue to enjoy my life while working on my body. (This is not implying that there are not healthy AND delicious foods, but then I have to always be the one cooking to make sure I get them, which isn't realistic for my life)

I agree that those who need their body to work like a well-oiled machine must eat in a different, cleaner way, but for the many of us that are starting from a very unhealthy place, smaller steps are better steps. I will most likely implement eating plan changes once I get a few months into this, but even then, if my family has a cookout I am darned sure going to eat some!

I think for most of us this applies.... We are just trying to lose the excess and still enjoy life at the same time :) Personally when I run though, I find the cleaner I eat the better I run & feel and if I eat junk I pay for it dearly because my body isn't used to it!
  • mtasker01
    mtasker01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can you prove those who use flexible dieting wrong with studies.....Micheal Phelps is a pretty good example of using flexible dieting to hit a caloric goal? Flexible dieting or IIFYM is really good for those who like the have some variety in their diet. Fitting in cakes, cookies, sweets, etc is all part of a balanced diet. It also helps curb the cravings and keep you focused on hitting your caloric/macronutrient goals for the day.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options

He is going to have to make some big adjustments when he quits swimming or he will become the worlds fattest man in record time.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps is a good example. Another is Dean Karnazes, and ultramarathoner who will actually eat an entire large pizza WHILE running. "Junk" food fuels your body too, and yes, elite athletes DO eat it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If i did cardio id be like "Challenge accepted!"

But **** cardio!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm going to preface my post with this is soooooo ridiculous--no point to this thread.

read this:
    http://running.competitor.com/2011/03/nutrition/should-all-runners-now-eat-mcdonald’s-all-the-time_23379