Evening Snacks Sabotaging Great Efforts...

Options
I have problems with evening eating. I make great choices all day long, but come night time I can't seem to control myself. I seem to use food to "self medicate" myself in order to go to bed. Not eating after 8 pm seems impossible. Any suggestions?

Replies

• dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I often have that issue, since I recently started traveling for my job. I am often not able to keep a good eating schedule. I try to think ahead and plant healthy easy to grab snacks in my fridge. Precut carrots and fruit that is already preped to eat. Have yougert or lite cheese handy. If you cant curb the need to snack, try changing what your snacking on. Good luck :smile:
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great Advice! Thank you!
  • GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always snack in the evening since I get heartburn if I don't but my OMG favourite snack now is ...
    1 Sargento string cheese (50 calories)
    10 Green Grapes
    10 Red Grapes
    1/3 of a raw cucumber with the peel
    2 tbsp of Bolt house classic ranch dressing (45 calories)

It is such a low calorie snack but it is fricken feeling and takes forever for me to eat while I read threads on here.
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. So far I have been eating a piece of fruit if I really think I need a nighttime snack. I have also been trying to go to bed earlier when I feel that "munchy" feeling coming on.
  • candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME issues. I find keeping a cup of water or tea in hand at all times after about 8pm helps. If i get the urge to go snack - I drink something instead. It's tough though!! I usually end up drinking so much water my stomach is yelling, but I'd rather fill it with water than junk :D
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Evening is my hardest time to control eating as well. I've only been logging for a week but that's the first big thing I've discovered about myself. This coming week, my plan is to try shaving a few hundred calories off meals/snacks that I have earlier in the day (before 4 pm, roughly). I'm going to 'save' them for evening because that's when I feel hungriest anyway.
  • manu25
    manu25 Posts: 14
    Options
    I had the same problem. It was suggested to me to increase my protein in my breakfast and to always eat a protein with any carb that I eat. ( and make sure it was whole grain carb). This stabilized my blood sugar throughout the day and has eliminated a lot of the craving at night. I do still get them but I feel that I'm able to control them since eating more protein. I was surprise how much it has helped.
  • K_Hilscher
    Options
    Evenings are always the worse for mindless eating! I make air popped popcorn. It's high fiber and takes a while to eat.
  • Halsip
    Halsip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like a serving of almonds because they are salty and crunchy like chips, etc, but full of good stuff. I always feel content after.
  • lnancesawyer
    Options
    Evening is the hardest time. I usually have a light snack and then brush my teeth. Nothing tastes good after brushing (especially with Crest). Sometimes I just go to bed. Lori
  • dmisty24
    dmisty24 Posts: 26
    Options
    Wow....for a minute I thought you were talking about me!! IT has always been my downfall.....eat perfect all day and then eat something I think I am not suppose to ......and boom....oh, I mine as well eat everything in sight and start tomorrow.

That is one of the things that I am loving about this program.....as long as I stay within my calorie count.....I figure that I have accomplished my goal.

One of my biggest triggers is seeing food ads on TV....I have literally gotten up and driven to a fast food place to buy what I have just seen. So, these days I am clicking all food ads off immediately.

Good luck......and when you go to take that late night bite....remember you are not alone!!

Misty
  • kerchki
    kerchki Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My nighttime snacking is a problem too... I just ate (2) 120 calorie chocolate fudge marshmallow cookies when I was already done with my calories for the day... UGH! Anyway, I usually do better when I brush my teeth early. I once read to do the crest whitening strips at night - it's a twofor: 1. Clean, white teeth and 2. it takes away the urge to snack. Haven't tried it yet though.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Write your goals down and put them where you go to get the food in your house like the refrig, right inside it.

But more importantly, WRITE DOWN your "WHY" and read it everytime you reach for food that is not in your plan.

Your why must be a MUST. Today, my wife told me my son is very proud of me for doing what i am doing. I have more reasons WHY, but just that one is enough for me to be able to say no.

Keep your goals SMALL. Meaning, I will just work on making a good decision on this one issue in front of me. And then say out loud "Good job! I am a great decision maker and am in total charge of my destiny"

I hope that helps and friend me and others too if you want to!!!!
    Austin
  • louwho917
    Options
    If you are still hungry in the evening then you need to change your habits during the day to increase your protein at EVERY meal so your blood sugar stays stablized & possibly increase your water intake throughout the day as well. The number one reason people tend to snack is because the brain easily confuses hunger & thirst...the second being unstable peaks & lows of blood sugars ( which protein & grains will help manage if increased throughout the day).
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I suggest apples, pickles, fatfree yogurt, flavored waters, sandwich thins or bagel thins and thin sliced deli meats like Castle Wood meats from Sam's. 2 ounces only have between 60-90 calories and I use mustard. You can do alot of eating on 200-250 calories with these items. Also sugar free Popcycle popcycles only have 15 calories. Good luck.
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Those are all great suggestions! Thank you so much. This site is Amazing!!!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I don't think that eating at night is a bad thing.. it's all about what you eat and how it fits into the rest of your day. You could try portioning out snacks into ziplock bags and just eating one and going to bed, keep raw vegetables and dip in the house, etc. It'll take you a while to adjust, your brain will probably say "this is total crap" for a week or two but you will get used to it. :)
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    Bump for later, I have to get going, but have this same problem and interesting in reading the responses!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    I probably used to clear 500 or 600 calories right before bed, usually brownies. I still eat before bed, but I switched to fruit, a bowl of cherries or strawberries. You can eat a lot without too many calories.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can eat at night. Your body doesn't treat the food any differently no matter if it's 8pm, 2am or noon....