Scared to eat more...

Options
OK, so this week despite exercising every single day doing running or 6 week 6 pack and eating 1200cals I have gained a pound, this is after a consistent weight loss of 2lbs ish per week for 6 weeks running only exercising 3 days high intensity a week..

This means I will now not hit my weight goal of 140lb for the beginning of September, I am currently now 154lbs after the weight gain.

Having asked this question yesterday the main consensus seemed to be that i should be eating more calories as my body is beginning to fight back to stop itself starving.

Thing is (and i am embarrassed to say this) I am scared to eat more because i can't seem to get past the mindset of more food = weight gain. Plus if I do up my calories, surely then i won't see the 2lb weight loss i've been seeing previously and it will go down to 0.5lb? Or would upping my calories more actually increase my weight loss?

Replies

• Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Im literally scared because in the past when I've lost weight eating more was not how I did it! I've been stuck for 3 weeks now though and I'm working out even more and eating better so something has to change...
  • RunningFiend
    Options
    Are you eating 1,200 or are you netting 1,200? If you are working out you should be making up those calories. Otherwise your body will hang on to what it can.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i tried to lose for years, 1200 calories was my goal. Never lost, only gained. Once I started eating 1800, where i should be plus working out, i've lost, weird how that works but your body needs food to function properly or it holds on to anything you eat.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating more would be a good idea. If you're scared to eat more, why don't you just add like 150-200 calories more per day then check in in a week or two and see how it goes?
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Try changing what you eat for a while. Eat more veggies. I know people who limit calories and don't lose weight because they eat too much bread and other things they shouldn't. Throw in a few different veggies, whatever you like, and see if that helps.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'd say less carbs/sugar and more protein and veggies for sure
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Would losing only 1 or .5 pounds a week in a healthy manner be worse than not losing?
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    From your diary, I think you are starving yourself.
    Why are you trying to lose so fast by september?
    Just be patient and let the body do it's thing.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    How did you figure 1200 for your net calorie goal? Is that what you arbitrarily put in or what a doctor or MFP figured for you? Because it might be that you aren't eating enough. It sounds weird and I'm still getting my head wrapped around it, but if you aren't feeding your body what it needs, even with a weight loss deficit taken into account, it's going to hold on to all it can because it thinks that it's being starved.

Try using the MFP guided goals and see what happens, if you're not already. There's plenty of people here who do just fine on 1200 a day, but everyone is different. I'm on an 1800 calorie a day diet and am loosing. You just have to take YOUR body into account. :)
  • Brandi0418
    Options
    I was in the same boat, I just recently started eating back my exercise calories and I've started losing again. I would suggest adding back calories slowly and work your way up. Do what's comfortable for you. Good luck!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Just another thought.

Please, PLEASE don't be scared to eat. If you're hungry, then you need food. If you're scared to eat, that can lead down a dangerous road and I think you ultimately want to be healthy not just thin. Just not eating does more harm than good.
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    sound like you might not be eating enough for the amount that you exercise.. Also.. don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat!
  • NikeBody
    NikeBody Posts: 12
    Options
    Have you been measuring yourself? Remember, the scale isn't the most accurate measure of weight loss, while it can be a useful tool. If you see your body changing in a positive way (getting smaller, more toned, tighter) then perhaps the pound was muscle or water weight, verses actually being a pound of fat. You may need to up your caloric intake, or perhaps your fruit/vegetable intake. When I hit a plateau during my previous weight loss journey my upped intake in wholesome foods helped me drop the last 5 lbs I desired. See what happens in a week. Try measuring yourself, taking pictures, and seeing how you feel overall. If you gain another pound you can try increasing your caloric intake, but I'd suggest to make sure the increase is in wholesome foods, and not meat/dairy/complex carbs.

Edit: I just checked out your food diary and you have a high sodium intake, and a low caloric intake. The excess sodium in your system can lead to water retention which equals more weight on the scale. Secondly, you tend to eat under 1000 calories a day, according to your diary. Which doesn't seem healthy, especially considering majority of what you eat. With this new knowledge I'd try eating a little more than you do now, with less sodium. I personally try to stay under 1500 mg of sodium per day. It helps with bloating and water retention.