Cleaning as Exercise?

Options

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning because it just seems like normal daily stuff to me, even when I am doing a big weekend clean. The only thing I log other than actual exercise is gardening but only when I've done the whole thing and spend several hours on it.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you're using your fatty acid energy system to do work, then is NOT exercise. Me sitting here typing to you is burning calories. but it's not exercise as it's not intense enough to move out of the fatty acid energy system. It doesn't matter if it's routine or not. Just cause it's out of your routine, does NOT mean the body will be like zomg, I've never done this before, i'll switch into exercise mode..

Activity != exercise.

Sure you can log it, but don't make the mistake that just cause your body is moving, you're exercising.
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    I'm pretty lazy. Let me just put that out there right now. If I'm just tidying up my house, picking up after my daughter and the boy I babysit, I'm not going to log the 10 or 15 minutes it takes me but when I do log the cleaning, it's because I've worked my butt off (hopefully literally) and am dripping sweat. I only log the cleaning once or twice a week because other than that, I just pick up here and there, but the weekend is when I deep clean and heck yes, I'm logging. Weekends are my eating cheats as well, so I suppose I can take all the "extra" calories I can;)

I still love exercise but will admit that I don't do it as often as I should. I also log in sexytimes and gardening, walking around doing the shopping and that sort of thing that I really consider to be standard activities. But I feel more accomplished if I log them in.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing something that's really active — cleaning the garage, spring cleaning the house for hours at a time, rearranging furniture, carrying heavy boxes to help someone move, etc, I will log it. Otherwise I just consider cleaning a part of my everyday chores.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I think if cleaning requires heavy lifting of 30+ lb boxes, and squats, lunges, and putting stuff over your head for 8 hours in a day, that surely should count as exercise. However, if you are getting a feather duster, and lightly brushing some desks, I don't consider it exercise.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    So far, I have not been logging cleaning as an exercise if it is part of normal daily activity. But the extra deep-cleaning projects that I do, I definitely log those because they do get my heart rate up. I'm even sore from them the next day. That should count.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    153lnns.jpg

It doesn't affect you, or your journey. Just let other people do their thing. You do yours. Problem solved.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    It's better than sitting but it's not an excuse to not challenge your body with real exercise.

I so do not agree with this statement. Real exercise is what gets your heart rate up and strengthens your muscles. If you have ever scrubbed floors on your hands and knees, washed walls and woodwork, raked leaves, or turned over a garden without a roto-tiller, you have experienced "real" exercise.

I will concede that if you are a body builder, you may need to do the type of heavy lifting not provided by the activities I just mentioned.

I definitely agree with you. I'd be willing to bet these type of daily chores, which people back in the day used to do all day every day without the benefit of of all the time and labor-saving devices we have today, is why people weren't obese at the levels we are today, and all without having to go to the gym.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    For me, it is not logged very often.If I am rearranging furniture, cleaning the bottom of the pool, scrubbing walls, etc. If it make me break a sweat for a significant amount of time, I will log it. However, I only log for HALF of the time...I don't want to cheat myself in the end. I could log it every day if I wanted to, I run a daycare...and if you have ever had to follow 5 kids and clean up after them all day long, you would understand the sweat in that. But, I just set my activity level to active.

I guess in the end of it all, I don't particularly care what people are logging...if they are losing and staying healthy then they are doing something right. Not my business.
    Exactly this! I am a stay at home mom of two and am constantly cleaning/organizing something in our 3400 sq.ft home. UGH! For some people, housework is all they can do because of physical ailments that hinders them from joining a gym..Don't go judging before you've walked a mile in someone elses shoes!...just sayin' :smile:
  • iluvmyhoneys
    Options
    I do not count cleaning as an exercise. I do housekeeping for a job right now (for the past year) and then I come home and do more cleaning.. and I haven't lost ANY weight doing just that. Sure it's hard work, I of all people know that, but as far as counting it as an exercise, no way.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I only count if I am doing something above and beyond the normal day to day cleaning, straightening or laundry. For example, I count cleaning out closets, cabinets, taking down/cleaning/putting back up blinds and drapes, heavy cleaning like moving furniture to clean, vacuuming furniture, shampooing furniture and carpets, washing windows,washing walls, scrubbing floors on your hands and knees, hand washing the car and cleaning it out, etc.
    I also have my setting on sedentary because I have a desk job. I don't use it as an excuse not to do other exercise as I also walk, do Zumba and take kickboxing classes. AND the items I am counting are things that I very rarely did before I started losing weight primarily because I was exhausted from just doing the normal day to day cleaning when I was 325 pounds so the cleaning calories I count are NOT normal activities for me.
    I also don't eat back my exercise calories anyway so it doesn't really matter if I log it or not.
  • echosentwo
    Options
    I agree cleaning is not an excercise. Just like I hear that shopping is an excercise How? you walk, you stop, you look. I think these are excuses so we don't feel bad about not being focused on our health goal.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    There was time when I counted it more than the actual gym workouts because it WAS strenuous and i was consuming a lot of calories cleaning for hours on end. I was purging a lot from my life to make room for a new lifestyle. I think a lot of people who fall into morbidly obese would agree that when you are ready to lose there has to be entire life SHIFT in order to be successful. A big part for me was putting my home and finances in order.

And hey it worked cause I've already lost almost 90lbs and go to the gym 3 days a week. ;) who cares how you get there right?

And now I pay a house keeper to come clean so I have tIme for more strenuous calorie burning exercises! I know a LOT of people that do that and I could just as easily have said in the beginning that THEY were the lazy ones because they weren't carrying an extra 200lbs on their backs doing it, yet hey still hired someone to do it for them. ;) perspective!

THIS!
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i don't log normal daily cleaning that i do on a regular basis. however we are getting the house ready to be put on the market aug 10 or 17th and that included a super deep clean which i logged. that burns calories, and i often would clean myself into a sweat as a polished the hardwood floor or carried boxes between floors etc.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Some may place themselves as sedentary so cleaning would be an exercise for them.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    I believe exercise is exersice and cleaning is cleaning. I do not ever log cleaning even if I am rearranging furniture. When you are changing your lifestyle for a healthier you do you really change your cleaning habbits? I know I didn't. We change our eating habbits and add cardio "workouts" and strength training to our day. My opinion folks!, We are all entitled to it!
  • 3lisab3
    3lisab3 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm sorry...you do not have to push yourself hard to lose weight and get in shape. Most people make that mistake when they start a weight loss program. They start out strong, push too hard, and then lose momentum..and then quit.
    All you have to do is watch what you put in your mouth and START MOVING! If that means that they dust and vacuum instead of sitting on the couch in front of a TV or computer, then good for them!
    I would suggest that you stop worrying about how/if others are cheating. We all have our own demons to deal with. If they are cheating themselves then they will not lose weight (or get in shape)..then they lose. But that shouldn't effect you!
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    I only log mine when Its a Sunday. We do an all out clean most Sundays. Scrubbing. Windows. Floors. Beds. (5 of them) Cabinets, baseboards. garden. bathrooms. Cupboards. desks, Yeah Its a Burn!!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    If I spend 6 hours getting everything ready for the carpet cleaners (hey, my house ins't perfect, but it's amazing how much it takes a reasonably clean home to get the floor completely clear) and I'm working hard and really sweating, I don't see anything wrong with logging a couple of hours of "light effort" cleaning.

If' I'm just washing dishes, folding laundry, vacuuming, etc then I don't. But when I really do work at it, I log it, but try to underestimate.

And keep in mind, what is easy and slacking off for you may be a real workout for someone. When I was 9 months pregnant, just vacuuming the dining room was a REAL workout; I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who is just starting to get into shape after years of inactivity.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options

What does it matter to anyone else what I log anyway? It's my fitness quest, not anyone else's. If I want to log brushing my teeth, I will.

Agrrrreeeeed

Jeeze, it was a question. They didn't ask specically what you log. They just wanted feedback.