Can't decide what's making me sick.

Options
I only started trying hard at losing weight at the end of July, but ever since then my throat's been sore and my voice will sometimes give out. I had a sunburn as I started, and I did get fever and a stuffy nose form that but most of my symptoms have gone away. But my throat got a bit worse and it's always really bad after a work out. I've been drinking a lot more water compared to before and I've changed my diet to whole foods and hardly any processed. Is it my body getting used to it? Or is the sunburn still affecting me even after it's flaking away?
Sometimes when I talk my last word will come out in a whisper, and when I'm singing to a song I have NO power to my voice whereas before i could hit high notes fine. :(
And if it's unexplainable, does anyone know a good drink or a vitamin I should eat more of?

Replies

• thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor about this.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I would go to a doctor. Otherwise, you sound dehydrated and like you have suffered from some kind of sunstroke.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You should go see a doctor. Sunburn shouldn't affect your voice/throat.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well the sunburn symptoms only lasted a day and I was guzzling water and constantly treating the burn. That was about a week ago and my throat seemed fine a few days after and returned a couple days ago.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Add my voice to the chorus suggesting you see a doctor.
  • Rockstar1951
    Options
    While it's probably nothing serious (more likely a virus hanging on), you should see a doctor. You have doubly (triply?) stressed your body by sunburn, some kind of viral upper respiratory thing, and dieting/working out. KEEP HYDRATED. At least 64 oz of fluid a day. No alcohol and limit caffeine. You can try gargling with warm salt water (1/4 - 1/2 tsp per cup) 3 times daily, esp at bedtime. A case of laryngitis that hangs on longer than 2 weeks needs medical attention. If you're smoking, STOP. Hope this helps a little.
  • tropikanagirl
    tropikanagirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out all carbs and sugars? Cause I know when I did Atkins and worked out, I experienced this while training. It was serious. I had a bad cough and felta sore throat. When I did go see a doctor about this he told me my body was simply detoxing on its own! Since I was not getting enough water in and not taking in enough vitamins, this was occurring. he suggested that I take my multivitamins and actually rest (I did NOT want to do this. So I asked if I could just take a day or two at the most off). I did it reluctantly and it helped me. While I was off those two days I ate normally--not eating any sugars or bad carbs. Just healthy things. And eventually it went away on its own. But I would highly reccmend you go to the doctor, let him know what you have been eating and how often you've been exercising and ask him if this is possibly the effect of your body detoxing itself!! Since everyone is different, the methods he sugested to me may not necessarily be used for you. So, be sure to ask your doctor what you should do! Hope you feel better girl!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Apart from dieting possibly stressing your immune system, it's unrelated. It doesn't sound serious, but if it's lasting several weeks and affecting your quality of life, see a doctor.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the concern guys :) I took the weekend off and my throat seems to be recovering. I did slip in some kayaking last night, but just to work my abs and arms. Water and rest is a miracle worker!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont see how sunburn would affect your throat? sounds like you have a throat infection which is probably unrelated. and unless you are restricting your calories too much is probably not related to your new diet either.

go to the doctor
  • runkuri
    runkuri Posts: 1
    Options
    See a doctor, of course. I have had the voice and sore throat problem in Summer previously and that was not related to diet or work-out. Once, that was due to my job (over-working my voice in an air-conditioned place) and the second I caught some bug. That was not serious, but if you don't have it checked, you never know.