I think my calories are too low...do you?

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    thats definitely too low for me and i'm nowhere near as tall as you (i'm 5'5 and weight 192). do you know what your resting TDEE is? sometimes you can't go by online formulae. i figured out that for me, mine is a good 400-500 calories more than what calculators says it should be.

my current TDEE is around 2500-3000 depending on if i workout. for weight loss i eat 1750-2100 calories
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If your getting all your nutrients in and your losing your desired weight each week then I don't see why they're too low.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My calories at set at 1850. I'm a 6'3, 270 pound gorilla.

Wow, really? Im 4'11'' (and 3/4!) and I've lost weight eating that!

Edit: Im genuinely surprised- not backhandedly saying you should eat more- just amazed!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Definitely seems low to me. I am still losing some weight on maintenance at 1680 cal, plus eating back all my exercise calories, which means I end up eating 1800 to 2500. And I am only 5'5 and 131 pounds! I lost my weight eating around 1400 plus exercise cals (so averaging closer to 1700 or higher).

You have to find what is sustainable for you. Also, if you are really committed to working out and changing your body, you need to fuel yourself properly.
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    If you under an MD care I would not second guess it and if you do not trust your MD get a scond opinion. If the lapband remains in place get a fill, make sure they put adequate saline in. You should be following up with the registered dietician at the bariatric surgeons office, those follow up visits are essential to your success. You will get many opinions on her related to calorie intake none are medical professionals familiar with your history
  • Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    Just as a point of reference, I'm 6 feet and weigh 253. I used to lose at 1800 calories, but I recently set my calorie goal myself at 1500 but I usually eat back my exercise calories which can range from 400 - 800 calories on average. Since then I have averaged 1.5 lbs a week. I wish you all the best in figuring out what's best for your body.
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Nice to see so many tall ladies, there I was thinking it was only me ;-)... I am 5'10, MFP says for me to lose 2 lb per week, my calories set at 1300 (1000 deficit daily, without exercise) ... I think you should definitely be eating your exercise calories back! Your 1400 is already giving you 1000 deficit (or more) per day.

Good luck!

~Erin
  • wildrosejmj
    wildrosejmj Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    In my small amount of experience, I am reaching the conclusion that everyone is different and there's no perfect solution for everyone. You have all these tricks and formulas and the ways that things are "supposed to be". For me, I never believed that counting calories was going to work because I never ate anywhere near what all the guidelines said I was "supposed" to eat and I was always overweight. My weight was fairly steady for a long time though (outside of pregnancy) and I was comfortable so I didn't really care. But then I started gaining weight without any explanation. Just put on 20 lbs over 2 yrs. I tried high protein/low carb programs, I gave up caffeine, I ate more food thinking I must be doing something wrong (I just gained MORE weight). Finally a friend got me to start counting calories. The first several weeks I just recorded what I ate, making small sacrifices here and there (am I really hungry or am I just habit eating?) and being aware of portion sizes and calorie amounts. I made better choices and ate tons more vegis than ever. I also gave up cheese and chocolate because I know I should eat them anyway (tummy doesn't like them). Lo and behold, my average calorie intake was around 1300 and I started losing weight! It was amazing! I do have set backs right before my period starts, but then it all goes away again. I'm 3 months into it now and have lost almost 14 lbs. I feel great and am not hungry outside of meal/snack times. Oh, and I'm 5'7" and started at 240 lbs. Best of luck!!

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm on about 1400, too. AND I'm the same height as you with the same goal. It works for me, but I don't exercise as much as you so you're probably gaining more muscle than I am.

And 1400 is if you want to lose 2 pounds a week (Like I want to), where as if you go with MFP suggestions, you should be losing 1 pound a week with about 1800-1900 calories :)

Just change your goals and see how it goes for a week or two. Good luck!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You didn't lose 5 lbs of fat in one week, so the 2 lbs you "gained" really was just your water weight evening out. You didn't gain fat on a deficit. And losing 1.6 lbs in a week is awesome.
  • melissaholden33
    Options
    Exercise causes water retention?
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Check this thread out--it walks you through the steps to determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and explains why you need to eat at least your BMR. I found it extremely helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12