personal trainer here to help

Options

Replies

• oldsalty1
    Options
    Struggling with sore knees and a frozen ankle (stiffins up like it needs to pop and hurts like the ****ens)...could you give me an idea of how to do squats without killing my knee! Zumba 4-5 days a week..is my main cardio and squats are becoming a routine with most instructors!
    This knee is keeping me out of boot camp!
  • unicorn19girl
    unicorn19girl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am a 30 year old female. I used to weigh 258 dropped down to 159 now. I was at 142 at my lowest weight. I am trying to get down to 155 but maintain or gain muscle. I know I have gained some muscle because I am doing more strength training. What is the best way to lose yet gain/tone muscles? I currently do cardio at least five days a week for about 45-60 minutes. (running, elliptical) and strength train with DVD's such as the 30 day shred three days in addition to the cardio and do pushups, planks, squats, and lunges on my own as well. Any advice you can provide is beneficial. Oh, I am currently eating around 1600 calories a day.
  • btfitman
    btfitman Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Bill--

So, I was going to send you a prvt message you a couple of questions, but of course, I am leary about advice on here.
    Then I saw that your profile says you are a 35 y.o. female...

what's up with that?
    That is a MFP screw up I just sent them a message about it. Waiting for a reply but they aren't very quick
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    LOL so much enlightening advice on this thread.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You may need to open your diary
    Hello Bill
    I am a 54 yr old female and weigh a whopping 217 lbs. I have done all the diets, gastric bypass patient and my weight will NOT move. On May 22 I suffered "Broken Heart Syndrome" some drs call it a heart attack, others just a epidsode. I have started walking the track at school 3-4 laps. But I feel that is not enuf. My arms are BIG, and my legs..Please give me some HELP on this...anything is something,
  • btfitman
    Options
    Hi,

I am a 30 year old female. I used to weigh 258 dropped down to 159 now. I was at 142 at my lowest weight. I am trying to get down to 155 but maintain or gain muscle. I know I have gained some muscle because I am doing more strength training. What is the best way to lose yet gain/tone muscles? I currently do cardio at least five days a week for about 45-60 minutes. (running, elliptical) and strength train with DVD's such as the 30 day shred three days in addition to the cardio and do pushups, planks, squats, and lunges on my own as well. Any advice you can provide is beneficial. Oh, I am currently eating around 1600 calories a day.

Are you in a calorie deficit? You can not gain muscle in a calorie deficit, that takes a surplus. Concentrate on one goal at a time get to your ideal weight, then worry about gaining muscle right now you can only tone the muscle you have
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    362 lbs, getting 30 minutes of exercise per day 3 days per week, walking the other days. How many calories should i eat? MFP states 2300, but i am not losing weight on this amount. Please help!!!
  • btfitman
    Options
    362 lbs, getting 30 minutes of exercise per day 3 days per week, walking the other days. How many calories should i eat? MFP states 2300, but i am not losing weight on this amount. Please help!!!
    weight is not the only thing you need to find out calorie goals you need height weight age , find you TDEE and take that x 20%
  • mandyP79
    mandyP79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thank you so much for your help and support. I was wondering if I can lose weight by playing Just Dance 3? I have cut my calories already. I am 4"10 and need to lose around 65lbs.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill--

So, I was going to send you a prvt message you a couple of questions, but of course, I am leary about advice on here.
    Then I saw that your profile says you are a 35 y.o. female...

what's up with that?
    That is a MFP screw up I just sent them a message about it. Waiting for a reply but they aren't very quick

Hmmm! Thank you Bondgirlforever for beating my to that question! I noticed that as well! very suspicious?!? :huh:

OP btfitman I will first say that I do not mean to be disrespectful or to dis-credit you or your knowledge and experience. It does raise a BIG RED FLAG!

I speak probably for most of us woman on MFP we/us "Woman" on MFP would like to have someone who is educated & experienced advice to our weight loss and healthier & mindful eating questions. Especially since alot of woman do not or will not have any male MFP friends for safety and security reasons.

I seen the post on the Homepage where "Recent Forum Topics" so I jumped over to see if I could get some answers to my questions. I seen no profile picture and it raised a big RED FLAG! Then as I normally would do I went to the OP profile there is nothing about who you are or any credentials listed on your profile?!?

We should be able to share and open our personal information with someone who would at least take the time to create they're MFP profile. I would think someone who states that they are that kind of a professional that they would create they're profile and something about they're credentials. That it is just my own common sense! Especially if it is really true that you have all of the said experience that you listed in your original post. For all we know you could be a....Well?... *I won't say it* :sick: Just to be respectful!
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Bill,
    I have PCOS which involves insulin resistance, similar to Diabetes. What is a good amount of carbs for me daily?
  • adams987
    Options
    i do have a q for you. my thing says to eat 1200 calories a day.(i end up very hungry and fill guilty when i eat more) is that truly needed for weight loss couldn't i do like 1500 and still looses weight.? couldn't find a real good answer online!! thanks
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and tighten up muscle...I am naturally big ( extra large frame, big arms and naturally strong) I dont want to get bigger ...I stay under my calorie goal and and do cardio and push-ups and weight lift (Super sets of three totaling 150-200 reps in total if I get to 200+ reps I increase weight). I have been repalcing carbs with protein in my diet ..so far this has been working, but will it work in the long run?
  • javagsd
    javagsd Posts: 82
    Options
    Bill, I'd appreciate suggestions on exercise that doesn't stress abdominals too much. I'm a 65 yr old female, 232 lb, with a bad knee, but had surgery putting in an abdominal hernia mesh in March. Last thing I want is to have to go through that surgery again because I've caused the mesh to fail through exercise.
  • nativedel
    Options
    I have a question: I will be vacationing in Hawaii in two weeks, how much weight loss can I conquer within the time frame?
    I started 2 months ago, went from a size 14 to a size 9.(167lbs to 145 lbs) I am running for 30 mins, running bleachers 15 xs, weight lifting, swimming, brisk walk for 45 mins during my lunch hour and total calorie intake is 1200 daily. I would like an estimate weight loss number, this will give me a goal to set for myself. Thank you for eagerness to help us!
  • DianaNL
    DianaNL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a 60 yr. old woman and have been struggling with belly fat the last 5-7 years. II understand how hormones change but are there exercises or foods that will help me lose the extra fat? My arms and legs are pretty thin. I should mention that some of the muscles in my abdomen were cut during an operation so I can no longer do sit-ups. Also, I take prednisone so that doesn't make it easy to lose weight. I'm 5'9" and weigh 150 lbs. I'd like to lose 10 lbs and my belly fat. I play tennis for about 2 hours 3 times per week. Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It seems as thought you do not recommend a minimum protein threshold and are not necessarily advocating strength training as well as not advocating rest days. Could you expand on that?

Also, it would be great to understand what professional qualifications you do have.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Look under the bridge, don't you smell it? :angry: :explode:
  • abeisang
    Options
    Hey there My name is Drea I am 22 years old I work in a hospital overnights and also as an emt during the day so my schedule can be really funky for trying to stay on a healthy diet. For me I try to stick to my daily alotment of calories between midnight and midnight the next day. According to the MFP app I should be eating 1470 calories a day to stay on track with loosing about 2 pounds a day. I have tried to cut out the soda drinking and focus on getting the complex carbs and proteins I need. Along with that I have been swimming laps at a decent pace for an hour and 30 minutes at the gym followed by light weight lifting focusing on strength and building tone versus becoming too bulky. My concern is that I typically burn anywhere from 2000 and 2100 calories a day working out and although I am feeling stronger and more fit I am worried that according to the MFP app I am supposed to eat all those calories back so that I reach my net calorie goal. Should I be discouraged if I am not shedding the weight faster? or should I try and not eat ALL of those burnt calories back?
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Look under the bridge, don't you smell it? :angry: :explode:

I didn't even have to look under the bridge to smell it.