BRO Science...

Options

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    What about McRunner? lol. I know he tried to eat the best, but the fact is he ate McD's everyday.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a fussy eater of a friend who basically lives on Frozen Pizza (not kidding, he only eats Tony's plain cheese). He is a runner, and has completed several marathons without significantly altering his diet, other than eating more of the same crap. When he is in training for marathons, he loses a crapton of weight, says he cannot eat enough to keep up with his caloric expenditure.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    People believe that you can lose weight and get ripped while eating any garbage you feel like, as long as you follow a specific calorie macro.

Though I do not disagree with this way of thinking, I would love to see someone win a marathon while sticking to such a diet.

Any takers for this challenge?

Before taking this conversation to the level of stupidity that it will inevitably go to, can you put some context to this?

Are you under the impression that there people advocating getting in great shape eating ALL crappy foods?

At what point do you believe that junk food is detrimental?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My point was basically this:

You can get ripped and build big muscles, and lose fat. However, your efficiency will be down because your body will not be digesting the food as well, and you won't be getting all the nutrients you need if you didn't eat foods that were packed with the good stuff.

I'd like to see someone prove that wrong.

I'd like to see you provide evidence that supports your claims regarding efficiency.
  • TimedEventSystem
    Options
    This would be like saying a ballerina isn't as fit as Lance Armstrong. Fitness is subjective depending on your goal.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't really put garbage in my mouth nor do I recommend it. My job pays me well and I use that money to buy the best foods that I can buy. If you are broke the least you can do is to control your diet and eat in within the calorie guidelines that are recommended. If you got money to buy quality food and ingredients then there is no reason to buy garbage food and fuel that body with all that crap. I mean honestly I couldn't care less if anyone disagrees with me but that is the way I view things. My mother didn't feed me a bunch of nasty biscuits with eggs and cheese, or sausage with gravy for breakfast everyday, or over condimented food. I woke up in the morning, a nice pair of oats and eggs. Lunch was nasty in school. Ate a bunch of healthy snacks when I get home, and complete meal for dinner. Many people who I competed against in high school and college and played with them ate clean and worked hard. Yet I come into this website to hear is somewhat acceptable a few times a week to gobble a whole food court. Or go to Wendy's every other day and zip on a big *kitten* cup of chili full of crazy amounts of sodium.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    People believe that you can lose weight and get ripped while eating any garbage you feel like, as long as you follow a specific calorie macro.

Though I do not disagree with this way of thinking, I would love to see someone win a marathon while sticking to such a diet.

To tell you the truth, I don't know a marathon runner who eats a bunch of sugars before running a marathon. My father ran for Coca Cola when he was a chemist there. He would do his normal carb loading the night before.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I hate that B word!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the comments. But, what works for a 20 something year old man, won't work for everyone. I eat a predominantly healthy diet and some junk in moderation, but "junk" is in the eye of the beholder.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    One word: moderation.

Too much of anything isn't good, but there's nothing wrong with some or a bit.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Of course elite athletes don't eat junk all the time their trainers and nutritinists see to that but they do eat some junk since they burn so much working out as a full time job. http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/us_swimmers_celebrate_end_of_olympic_run_by_binging_at_mcdonalds/11355919
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    One word: moderation.

Too much of anything isn't good, but there's nothing wrong with some or a bit.

In before someone posts that a *kitten* load of water can kill you.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Of course elite athletes don't eat junk all the time their trainers and nutritinists see to that but they do eat some junk since they burn so much working out as a full time job. http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/us_swimmers_celebrate_end_of_olympic_run_by_binging_at_mcdonalds/11355919

They earned it, some people in this site eat this everyday then do cardio to burn it off haha. If I were to go on a crazy binge then say hello to japanese restaurant and like a nice 200 dollar bill lol.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

A token advertising moment...lmao
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

A token advertising moment...lmao

I'm lovin' it
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Science has shown that what really matters is the proper amount of macros per day to reach the required number of calories you need. So less calories for cutting and clean eating about 80% of the time. So you can have your occasional junk food and can even eat right before bed if it fits in your daily macro requirements
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I don't think you need any takers, you could probably find some athletes who have done marathons fuelled by junk food diet. Just look at Michael Phelps..etc.

I'd bet my left arm that no Olympic athlete has been eating junk food to get where they are.

Where can I collect that arm?

Michael Phelps typical daily diet:

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Getting ripped(IE showing muscle) is more about losing body fat then it is anything else.. which can be achieved through a calorie deficit.

As long as you are eating in a deficit, you should lose fat.. if you eat in a surplus, then you should gain fat.

I def. don't eat clean... yet I'm starting to show abs and muscles in my arms/legs... which leads me to believe I must be a genetic freak.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the comments. But, what works for a 20 something year old man, won't work for everyone. I eat a predominantly healthy diet and some junk in moderation, but "junk" is in the eye of the beholder.

This. I think everyone can agree that a big mac is not the healthiest food but some people don't eat cheese because its processed, high in fat and sodium. Is cheese included in your list? Or how about white bread? Some people don't eat it, some people think its okay if it fits in your macros.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    This is essentially true, however, for those of us who are really just looking to look and feel a little better in our clothes, having THE most efficient body ever isn't a higher priority than actually enjoying the food (and social situations which involve food) that we enjoyed before. For myself, I have been on and off of this site for years, because each time previously, I would change my diet so drastically that I felt deprived and would fall off the wagon. For me, it is imperative to my continuation with this weight-loss journey that I am able to eat with friends and family, and am able to have my favorite foods, so that I can continue to enjoy my life while working on my body. (This is not implying that there are not healthy AND delicious foods, but then I have to always be the one cooking to make sure I get them, which isn't realistic for my life)

I agree that those who need their body to work like a well-oiled machine must eat in a different, cleaner way, but for the many of us that are starting from a very unhealthy place, smaller steps are better steps. I will most likely implement eating plan changes once I get a few months into this, but even then, if my family has a cookout I am darned sure going to eat some!

Couldn't agree more :)