63 and falling apart... :) Gonna do it this time

Options
DLKRay
DLKRay Posts: 12 Member
Hi Everybody
I will be 63 this month and have fought this battle my whole life. I've had measured success but never could get it all off. I've NOW got around 160 lbs to lose and want desperately to make this time count.
I have 3 children ages 41,30, and 24. Two of which have presented me with a total of 4 grandbabies.5 :heart: 3 :heart: 4 :heart: 10 months :heart:
Liveing long enough to see them grow into mature young men and women is my ultimate goal altho 100yrs would be nice if I have all my faculties :smile:
blessings to you all and hoping to make some new friends -

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you really want it, you can do it.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

Invite on the way :)
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I am 64 and lost 10 pounds in the last two months.
    (We have 5 kids and 6 grandkids.)
    I started losing weight when I started doing zumba a year and a half ago and have lost about 45 total. I kind of hit a stopping point until I found this site. It's really helping me to keep track of my food.
    Good luck to you.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Above all, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • brenda48
    Options
    I too seem to be falling apart, I am restarting again and would love to have a weight loss buddy, my e-mail is brenda29666@hotmail.com
  • elaine5181
    elaine5181 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Please add me as a friend. 58 and have been on MVP for 4 months. Have lost 20 pounds which is a major accomplishment for me. Look forward to giving each other support. Together we can do this!!
  • Wildflowers23
    Options
    Hello there. 65 and falling apart too. Just joined this site with hopes to find others going through the same thing - trying to lose their unwanted pounds. I desperately need some inspiration and this looks like a great website. Been there, done that is all I can say to my other weightloss attempts (some of which actually worked at least short-term).

This website seems great as there are no gimmicks, no pressure to buy that special meal or DVD, etc. Free is good!

Hello new friends and I hope to keep you company.
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am the same age as you and started this past monday. i really like this site. Good luck to you, don't forget to write everything down that you eat. See you on this board.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Turn your "WANT into a "MUST" and list your reasons "WHY". Keep it in front of you everytime you eat.

Will you do this? Will you commit? We are here for you!! You can do it.
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi DLKRay
    I just turned 60 on the 1st....I have lost and gained since I had my 1st child at 23 years old..Oh I've lost A LOT of weight in a depression ( NOT a good way ) but, diets on their own never worked for long. Here at MFP, let's me ( actually I feel guilty if I cheat so I never do )anyway it let's me keep my eye on calories and all other nutrients so I am aware of what I do everyday. I love MFP and I also do The Biggest Loser Workouts ( yep, so hard at first I modified them ) now, I can full on exercise with them on the DVD even though I injured my foot May 28th. I am careful with my foot which makes the exercises harder on me but, if I am dripping sweat and have the cardio going I feel so good inside. I started MFP and the exercises again on July 24th and I have lost 16lbs so far...yay me :happy: I know if I can do this anyone can...I love muffins, cake etc but have cut all of it out and now eat rice cakes, and a lot of fresh fruit and veges...You CAN and WILL do this because you sound like you are ready!! So onward and YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Just think of what you will look like in a couple of months....The scale won't lie :smile: I wish us all Good Luck!
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!!! I have battled weight my entire life as well. I had 100lbs to lose and now at 75 lost since April 2011. It is a long journey but you are not alone, we are all here to help, and support you......Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • DLKRay
    Options
    Thanks _ i know it can be done! and hearing from you folks that have had success is a real encouragement!:love:
  • DLKRay
    Options
    You are right - when I lost the 60 pounds that I've kept off so far (lost it 5 years ago) I was ready then.. but seems like I've not been motivated enough to really do it Now that I'm beginning to really have problems made worse by being MORBID. Gosh I hate that term...:tongue: anyway I AM ready NOW :smile:
  • DLKRay
    Options
    Thanks! that's a good idea:smile: I'll do that.
  • ladyginny
    Options
    Hi. I'm 65 and have about 90 lbs to lose. I, too, am looking for friends to take this journey with. I have been going to WW for 2 weeks and I have lost 7 pounds. My thoughts are to keep on with WW and do this site also. Figure it can't hurt to do both.

Last fall and winter my husband & I were walking 4-5 days a week and had worked up to a total of 10-12 miles. Then it got hot. I live in Texas & the heat has been terrible as it has for a large part of the country. I am going to start using my WII fitness until we can get back out to walk which will probably be the middle of Oct. before it cools off. I have never liked any kind of exercise, always looked for reasons to get out of it in school. However, when I was walking I was amazed at how much better I felt.

Ginny
  • oofda33
    oofda33 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, I too am a senior...57 and have been fighting for a couple years now trying to loose. I got down 32 pounds but have started yoyo'ing the past year. I found this site and am so excited to get on with my weight loss now. I believe we can do it with the support of our communities we build.

Please feel free to invite me.

27344096.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi there, 53 and falling apart.
    3 kids and 5 grandkids.
    Please add me!!
    All welcome :flowerforyou:
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Where did you go on the ship? We have watched that ship sail out of Port Canaveral when we have been on holiday in Cocoa Beach. We also saw it in the Carribean. Sorry off topic really but just wondered. Sorry ignore this Wrong person. Sorry
  • GammaTuna
    GammaTuna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible. I turned 61 last month, got my wake up call realising that I was unhealthy, and dare I say it - fat, and decided to do something about it. So, since the 4th July I have lost 5 kgs (11 lbs). May not seem much in the great scheme and I have at least another 20 kgs to go, but its a start. MFP is really helping along with the motivation from my fitbit. I have 2 grown sons and two grandsons and they are such a driving force to get myself in gear and get healthy. You can do it. Lets all do it!

:flowerforyou:
  • DLKRay
    Options
    Looks like you are on your way! I too really like this site.