Is Fasting a good idea to lose weight?

Options
So it's Ramadan, and my family and I have been fasting on and off for the past two weeks. (I know that in Islam it's mandatory to fast for the entire month providing you're healthy to do so, but hey, we're kinda liberal Muslims!) My mum's finally had a enough of it because it's messing with her sleeping pattern, my Dad swears it's helped him to lose a stone since Ramadan began on July 20th, and I've been given a choice as to whether I want to fast or not for the rest of the month.

I'm serious about losing weight (30lbs) and keeping it off, so I thought it would be worth my putting it to you guys whether you thought fasting would help me lose at all? I find that I'm consuming up to 300 cals less than usual on my fasting days, but is it possible that I'll just quickly put the weight back on after the fasting season?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Replies

• Autry403
    Autry403 Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure- I'd also like to know for sure. I fasted off & on for years when I felt I had a huge binge I would fast the next day. If I completely pigged out after fasting then yes I put the weight back on. When I just stayed the way I was I never really moved the scale a bit. Like now I eat what ever I really want in moderation & I'm staying the same weight... I think maybe if you had a clean diet and exercise it would help in the long run anyways. You would lose weight and keep it off for good- while building up your metabolism. I'm no expert haha but good luck! :P