Secret to warding off late night munchies?

Options
2»

Replies

• HashtagTraci
    Options
    roasted kale chips w/a little sea salt (no oil) & Popsicle sugar free Tropical pops (15 cal ea)
  • Debby17
    Debby17 Posts: 3
    Options
    Try a date - they are sweet (so will satisfy a sweet tooth) and eaten slowly they take time and can be filling. Make sure you get dates with the pit still in it. That means you can't just pop it in and chew quickly! you will need to take small bites instead. One date is usually enough for me.
  • NikeBody
    NikeBody Posts: 12
    Options
    Drink a glass or two of water first and wait about 20 minutes. If you still feel hungry eat some fresh fruits or vegetable in their natural state. This should suppress your hunger until Breakfast time and meet your needs. Going to sleep early is also a good solution, which you've stated to already be trying. Think of the food you want to eat as well, and do sit ups for every calorie it contains before you eat it. You'll most likely be too tired to actually eat the food and want to shower or sleep.

Are you sure you're eating enough throughout the day?
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I take my dogs for a walk. Not hungry when I return, I just want a water or cup of tea. The other thing I might do is fold clothes to keep my hands full so I can't stuff my face :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    a hot drink or BED! (better with someone) then you burn extra cals too!!! rofl :blushing: :devil:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eat dinner later or break it up into 2 meals.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello has saved my life more than once!!!
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take my dogs for a walk. Not hungry when I return, I just want a water or cup of tea. The other thing I might do is fold clothes to keep my hands full so I can't stuff my face :)
    I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! do some chores around the house keep yourself busy.
  • AnneM69
    AnneM69 Posts: 30
    Options
    I often have dessert late at night, or a cup of herbal tea or a cup of fat and sugar free Ovaltine.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Water.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know it's really bad for me to do so, but I don't find it effects my sleep as I think I'm pretty immune to caffeine from tea and coffee now, haha.

But I tend a cup of tea, coffee or green tea helps at night. I don't really condone that though, for it may have effects on some people, but perhaps a low-kcal hot choc instead!

Or if that doesn't tickle your pickle, maybe try eating a stick of celery reeeeally slowly. It can trick your brain into thinking your having a small meal. When really your just munching on water :P
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    my solutions

#1 do something - take up a new hobby. learn to knot, sew, macrame anything to keep you occupied. on those days i am sewing i am good. if i sit down to watch TV i munch. ( this is my most important one)

#2 play movie bingo. if for example you are watching CSI Miami give yourself some exercise and cues ( i.e. every time Horatio whips off his sunglasses do 5 squats) and pick adverts so anytime a Procter and gamble advert come on you have to do five crunches or 10 star-jumps) anything to keep your attention on the program and away from the kitchen.

#3 never ever eat from the bag. measure out one portion and then wrap the packaging up and tape it shut. make it an effort to get back into it. if you can freeze it! I make banana chocolate flapjacks (UK oat bar thing) and freeze them so i have a sweet treat but i have to defrost it to eat it!

#4 invest in child-locks for your kitchen cabinets. this will meant you have to think to open the kitchen cabinets! no more mindless eating ( or at least until you can open the child-locks without thinking about it by which time hopefully the habit is broken)

#5 set yourself Challenges and rewards - if i can not eat chocolate for a week i will save xxx money (7x however much you habit) and then i can reward myself with xxx. be as competitive with yourself as possible try and go longer and longer ever time. or even just have a series of non food rewards for successes things you really want to do/ have (as i saw on a motivational post - " don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog!")

#5.5 or as i saw recently on a post have a slim/ sexy/ weight loss jar) every time you don't munch put that money in a savings jar and then when you reach a goal weight you can raid it. make it a competition (one guy was doing it for petrol money every time he cycled).

#6 if you want to much, change someting;
    activity, whatch TV/ read a book/ walk/ sort out a packed lunch for tomorrow/ phone a friend/ paint your nails/ garden/ get in contact with that friend you have not spoken to in ages...
    location: sitting room/ bed room/ go outside/ (stay out of the kitchen :wink:) go and collect the post/ check emails/ visit friends family...
    change quality 70-80% dark choc instead of horrid ( in the UK) cadburys.
    change quantity portion out 1/2 a portion ( 1 cookie instead of two) and seal the packet and get away ( and gradually reduce or buy less bad option )

#7make it yourself. if there is something you like learn how to make it yourself. even if you make a full fat option it will be better for you as there will be no preservatives, HCFS or other unpronounceable chemicals that aren't necessarily doing your body/ digestion any good.

#8 go on the internet and ;;post on MFP, research how much exercise you are going to do to work off that snack, read the ingredients list and try and fighre out what all those things you don't know what are are - you will soon not want it!

good luck
    edit:
    join this challenge
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/690799-no-more-late-night-snacking-august-2012?page=2#posts-10163843
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    brush your teeth

Exactly! I've been doing this for years and I can only think of a couple of times where I broke down and ate something and had to re-brush... but those all involved a drastic change in my plans vis-a-vis sleeping.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Unless I am busy catching up on grading papers or doing my own graduate work, I genereally go to sleep. Otherwise I tend to snack too much. But I LOVE my sleep! So any time I have a chance to get in a few extra Zzzzs I'll do it!
  • candy_mcswole
    candy_mcswole Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If i want anything late at night I chug a crap ton of water then force myself to do 20 pushups before putting anything into my mouth. Usually by the time I've done that I already talked myself out of it.
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Sugar free jello has saved my life more than once!!!

This too! And if I need something a little more I'll add a spoonful of LF or SF whipped cream