Quitting smoking and weight gain...

Options
2»

Replies

• flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I quit, I did not gain any weight. It was about the same time I started eating right and exercising, about 2 months ago. I just felt like it was time to become healthy, and time to tackle both issues (and I felt really ridiculous rewarding my exercise efforts with smoking. "The faster you run, the sooner you get home, the sooner you can smoke" is hard to justify even to yourself).

But the weight seemed to come off fairly quickly, leading me to think that quitting smoking didn't really slow down or prevent weight loss. Just be careful of the habits that you will start to form as you look for new ways to replace it.

Best of luck, but with the quitting and with weight loss! You're body is definitely going to thank you!
  • joanne51971
    Options
    hello, im glad i have found this topic! i havent had a cigarette for 6 days now!! i have been using an e-cig which is working ok for me so far! i am still finding it hard but i feel determined to quit for good this time! im staying away from the kitchen cupboards as i dont want to start a habit of picking at food to replace the cigs!! i have worked very hard to lose the weight that i have lost so far and i really dont want to gain any back!! i feel better already when im exercising which is good as it is early days, i really do reccommend the electric cigarette, its really helping me, i have tried so many different things, i have done the gum,patches, the tablets but failed every time!! this time I AM GOING TO DO IT!!! im hoping to get as much support as i can and anyone in the same boat as me then feel free to add me and we can support each other!! :flowerforyou:
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    Another vote for Allen Carr's Easyway (though i did the 1 day course) 15 years of smoking and I stopped just like that.

Further to what a few people have mentioned above, quitting smoking DOES NOT make you put on weight. (ie: cigarettes don't miraculously make you thin) What can happen is that people replace nicotine cravings with eating.

EDIT: i thought I would add that while there are some older 'studies' have shown that smoking can increase your metabolic rate this is inconsistent and later larger studies have proved less conclusive.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/396796-how-much-does-smoking-affect-your-metabolism/

let us know how you go and if you need any support just shout.
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    I quit and gained but mainly because I started eating more and wrong in substitution to the former cigarettes. But you know what, I don't mind it any second. I took my time to stop and gain and now I take the time to finalise the way to a healthier me (non-smoking, active, balanced eating).

Everything has it's time and I allow that time.

However I am convinced if you monitor your food intake and do sport you shouldn't gain too much.