possible bug bite?

Options
Anyone know anything about possible bug bites? I woke up on Friday morning with a red dot on my ankle, by the evening my whole foot/ankle was red and swollen. Saturday morning it was so swollen that it hurt to walk on it, and today the redness has gone down a bit due to an icepack, but still swollen and white raised circles have appeared on the swelling? The red/purple bite marks(?) are still there and quite big. Any opinions??

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a spider bite. You may want to seek medical attention for it if it worsens. Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.Good luck!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sox, it sounds like a spider bite especially if you see two bite marks. If the swollen area is growing in size, make sure a doctor sees it.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    seriously?
    call your doctor.
    :noway:
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    it does sound a little like a spider bite, but a spider bite would start looking a bit differently at this age. it sounds more like you are having an allergic reaction to whatever bit you.

a trip to the doc or urgent care would be advisable. ER is *not* recommended in this case - they will charge triple the normal price and by US law must treat by acuity which translates to unnecessary tests and an extremely long wait.

HOWEVER: If you start feeling short of breath or your chest starts hurting and this is still red, swollen, and/or warm, go to the ER immediately.
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm not sure what the white raised circles are though?? And yeah, there are two big purple bite marks with a purple patch around them, then the rest of the foot/ankle is red. It's like a raised spot in the middle, i assume thats the bite?
  • ahlani
    ahlani Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a spider bite. You may want to seek medical attention for it if it worsens. Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.Good luck!

Seriously go to the doctor or a walk-in emergency clinic! Don't mess around with it and don't ask us! Go!

(mate had recluse bite that quickly began showing signs of killing the flesh around the bite before he went to the emergency clinic, years later he still bears the deep scar)
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    Also, I have a really dry mouth, like 'cotton mouth' if thats the term. Could this be related?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    (mate had recluse bite that quickly began showing signs of killing the flesh around the bite before he went to the emergency clinic, years later he still bears the deep scar)

Yeah, that's what I thought with purple bite marks red swell and white rings.

See a doctor as soon as you can, Emma. If it's brown recluse and you don't have nausea, vomitting etc. it's bad news.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No matter what it is, you're having a bad reaction to it. Get it checked. Now.
  • robin52077
    Options
    Also, I have a really dry mouth, like 'cotton mouth' if thats the term. Could this be related?

seriously...

GTF off MFP and go to the f'ing doctor.

I swear, if you reply to this thread one more time, indicating you are not on your way to the doctor, I will find you and drag you there myself.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

seriously...

I swear, if you reply to this thread one more time, indicating you are not on your way to the doctor, I will find you and drag you there myself.

I'm with you.. and I was just about to post this.

Why do you keep replying and asking questions?

Clearly no one can tell you what is going on except a doctor.. So get your car, hop a bus, do whatever you have to and get yourself there!
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    Haha sorry for replying, I'm waiting for NHS direct to phone me. The doctors isnt open on a sunday. I'll see what they say first. So you reckon the cotton mouth could be related then?
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

seriously...

Yes! Usually bites that react that way need medical attention. Some spiders are dangerous. The dr visit won't be that bad. Most of the time they will give you antibiotics and maybe a shot with some cream. I live in the country and I check my bed every night and always check my shoes.

Funny how the scary looking spiders are harmless and the small "normal" ones aren't.
  • robin52077
    Options
    Haha sorry for replying, I'm waiting for NHS direct to phone me. The doctors isnt open on a sunday. I'll see what they say first. So you reckon the cotton mouth could be related then?

thank you for calling the doctor.
    I hope you get a response soon.

WE DON'T KNOW if it can be related as WE ARE NOT doctors.

But if it even remotely CAN be, you should definitely ask THEM.

Main point: we all feel for you, and hope it is not serious, and you get all better real soon, but NO QUESTION you can ask about it can be accurately answered here.
    Please let us know what they say.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

thank you for calling the doctor.
    I hope you get a response soon.

WE DON'T KNOW if it can be related as WE ARE NOT doctors.

But if it even remotely CAN be, you should definitely ask THEM.

Main point: we all feel for you, and hope it is not serious, and you get all better real soon, but NO QUESTION you can ask about it can be accurately answered here.
    Please let us know what they say.

this is why i wish we received notifications for threads we are in...i would like to know how she is. good luck OP
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Why do people look for medical advice on the internet?

Most of us are not doctors, and thus should not be giving you advice. If any MFP people actually are doctors, they should know how dangerous it is to give medical advice on the internet without seeing someone, and shouldn't do it.

If it's troubling enough for you to post about it on the internet, you should be seeing a doctor.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Let us know how you got on ... concerned for you :OS
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
  • magsi25
    magsi25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump, being nosey and awaiting outcome.
  • sandiki