I overdid it. : (

Options
2»

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Actually, according to your diary, you DO have a deficit. See, MFP already gives you a deficit when you tell it how much you want to lose. If you are set to "lose 1 lb a week" then you have a 500 calorie daily deficit, if you eat all of your calories. You still have about 100 calories left, which means you have a 600 calorie deficit. So you really did what you need to today.

Exercise requires fuel. You wouldn't be able to drive cross-country without stopping to fill your tank a few times. Especially when training for a race and pushing yourself so much, you do need plenty of calories. Make sure you get as much nutrition as possible from those calories (fruit smoothy is probably good, if it's all fruit), and maybe even a multivitamin made for very active people.

Yes. The smoothie was a cup of nonfat yogurt, one fresh peach, one fresh banana, and a 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries. I threw it all into the blender, whole. It made a HUGE freezie drink, and i was stuffed, but I was still craving something... Like meat. The smoothie tasted awesome, as good as ice cream.
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    If your diary is correct you ate about 2,000 calories while your goal was 2,200 calories. Am I missing something? You still have a deficit if you set MFP up with a goal to lose weight. Although, you might want to eat only 50-75% of your exercise calories in the future to account for inaccuracies.

Excellent advice. I think I ate so much bc I was trying to avoid a plateau. I'll aim for 50 percent of my exercise calories. That makes great sense! I'm not overly full or on a sugar high though, so I believe tomorrow will be under control. I'm going to run and swim only once though. Thanks so much!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You did good, Brenda! :smile:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi Brenda

You said you had a craving for meat. The reason for that is your muscles are torn and are in need of repairing after doing exercise. The only thing that repairs muscles is protien. When you described what you ate after the fruit smoothie and based on what you did. I wasn't too surprised on what you ate.

Your body is craving protien so the best way to really deal with this is something high in protien after a work out like that. I'm thinking a couple spoons of peanut butter or nuts, beans is a good source or just have an egg sandwich. But based on what you just said, I'm not surprised. You're body is telling you what to feed it.

Not the end of the world, today is a new day :)

edit I just took a peak at your diary. By lunch you consumed the majority of your protien. When you burned those calories, your protien was doubled so technincally by the end of your exercise you consumed only half of your protien intake. I'm not too surprised at this point.
  • hopo37
    hopo37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day.. everyone over does it once in a while.. it's going to happen.. don't beat yourself up.. you are doing a great job.. just keep telling yourself that!!
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    You did good, Brenda! :smile:

Me? I want to see your diary! 27 pounds in about 5 weeks. You are amazing! I want ten more off before I have to get back in my teaching clothes in 2 weeks. :sick:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    NO calorie deficit
    Unless you set your goal as "Stay the same weight" you didn't go over on your allocated calories so you DO have a calorie deficit. If your goal was set at 2lb a week, you have a 1000 calorie a day deficit if you eat all the calories this site allocates to you.
    My primary reason for doing the 5 k is to lose weight.:noway:
    While it's great that you're running for the benefits to physical and mental health, and while exercise does burn a certain amount of calories, and while it is motivating to become fit, the bottom line is that most of the way you're going to lose weight is by restricting your calorie intake in terms of how much you burn.

Weight is lost in the kitchen, not on the treadmill / running track.

EDITED FOR QUOTE FORMAT ERROR
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Rule 1 don't eat if you don't feel hungry.
    Rule 2 if you must eat, remember all things in moderation.
    Rule 3 what ever you are about to eat enter it in your diary first so you see what you are about to eat, it does make you think twice about the amount.

^^^^^^
    Three great reminders! Although, the only one I don't agree with AFTER exercise is Rule #1. YOU SHOULD EAT a HIGH PROTEIN low fat and carbs snack within 45 mins of working out to feed your muscles.

Other than that...you need to forget about the damage today and move on to tomorrow. I am trying to help my DH make better choices of food when we eat out but putting in their food BEFORE they order it to see what the damage could be...helpful advice!
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Hi Brenda

You said you had a craving for meat. The reason for that is your muscles are torn and are in need of repairing after doing exercise. The only thing that repairs muscles is protien. When you described what you ate after the fruit smoothie and based on what you did. I wasn't too surprised on what you ate.

Your body is craving protien so the best way to really deal with this is something high in protien after a work out like that. I'm thinking a couple spoons of peanut butter or nuts, beans is a good source or just have an egg sandwich. But based on what you just said, I'm not surprised. You're body is telling you what to feed it.

edit I just took a peak at your diary. By lunch you consumed the majority of your protien. When you burned those calories, your protien was doubled so technincally by the end of your exercise you consumed only half of your protien intake. I'm not too surprised at this point.

You are amazing! I just spent ten minutes looking at my diary for carbs and protein. Someone said my carbs are too high and my fiber is too low. And YOU saw it! It's crazy bc I had the smoothie before I was hungry. I did that because I'd done the veggies all day and fruit seemed a necessity. Next time I will make a whey or soy protein shake.... Or eat beans since I don't like meat and eggs so much. The trouble with beans is they have high carbs.... I think.

So in summary, I let my brain tell me what to eat, when I should've waited for my body to tell me. My family had chili dogs for lunch, but a salad tasted better. The chili dogs were left over and filled me quite nicely. I dived into them even though my stomach wasn't growling. Now I see why. I love peanut butter, and will eat that til school starts, but I have to eat almond butter at work because of peanut allergies in kids.

You have been Godsend. Thanks all of you for cheering me on, analyzing me, and educating me! We can all do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    NO calorie deficit
    Unless you set your goal as "Stay the same weight" you didn't go over on your allocated calories so you DO have a calorie deficit. If your goal was set at 2lb a week, you have a 1000 calorie a day deficit if you eat all the calories this site allocates to you.
    While it's great that you're running for the benefits to physical and mental health, and while exercise does burn a certain amount of calories, and while it is motivating to become fit, the bottom line is that most of the way you're going to lose weight is by restricting your calorie intake in terms of how much you burn.

Weight is lost in the kitchen, not on the treadmill / running track.

EDITED FOR QUOTE FORMAT ERROR

But doesn't muscle burn more calories than fat? You summarized it well. Once before I went on an exercise program, and lost nothing. I didn't have my fitness pal for food tracking then. Today is a better day. My calves are sore, but I'm going to see if I can stretch it out and then do a wii fit run in place with the c25k android app later today.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Just get back on the horse today and don't beat yourself up about it. I'm gonna overdo it this week...my 40th birthday is Tuesday and I'm sure as hell gonna overdo it with a steak dinner and strawberry shortcake bday cake but the next day I'll be right back on the beam and I'm sure my tummy will hurt lol.
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    I see that you are fine with your diary but even if you weren't, it's one day. Sometimes everyone needs one day to keep from going totally crazy. There is always tomorrow.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hi Brenda

YES!! ^^^^^^ listen to your body, feed it what it needs regardless of the "rules" and then you won't binge! Look at my diary...I feed it well throughout the day, which is why I never binge...I'm never hungry enough to binge lol
  • oregon_nicole
    oregon_nicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could not buy chocolate millk anymore. There really is no point to drinking that with all the sugar. Also, keep refrigerator stocked with healthy lean meats, and if you have kids and.or hubby, you can all eat healthily as a family. No need to have junk food in your hosue.
  • sleight2
    sleight2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Found this in a fortune cookie; it keeps ringing true:
    "Good judgment comes from experience. Experiences comes from bad judgment."

1) I have a lot of experience
    2) My judgment is getting better because of it

Folks here are right. It happened, you recognize it, that's the important thing, smile about it and move on to tomorrow. Best wishes.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Really, eating your exercise calories make sense, so why beat yourself up about it? The workout you describe is something typical for me and I eat them back and do not gain weight. I am on maintenance, so this means that at around 140 pounds, I eat 2500-3000 cals on training days! Relax.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Today I ran for an hour (in two different gym visits) and swam 500 yards right after the first run. I feel ok, and I'm glad I exercised so much bc i am running my first 5k run in 3 weeks. I'm bummed because when I got home I wasn't even hungry, but I had a shuge fruit smoothie because I thought It would be good for me. I followed that with an ear of sweet corn, two chili dogs on buns, and 2 cups of chocolate milk. This, added to my huge salad and multigrain Cheerios leaves me with NO calorie deficit- even though I worked so hard to burn off 1001 calories exercising! :sad: I am so bummed, I don't want to even work out tomorrow, but I need to prepare for the 5k run. Help me feel better?

Life goes on :D You yourself probably didn't feel hungry but your body was starving. Happens to me all the time when I do HIIT workouts. I am not the least bit hungry after hardcore workouts but I make myself either drink some P90X Results and Recovery formula or I make a Shakeology shake and just deal with it because I know that once my heart rate and my body temperature come down I'm going to be starving my a s s off. Evidently you were hungry and you ate. Can't beat yourself up for eating.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    so what if there was no deficit. remember, there is such a thing as overtraining. and not eating the RIGHT things will make you want to eat stuff that probably isn't so good. try less sugar (and by the way, the corn is a grain not a veggie, so watch out for that - and lots of sugar in the fruit I'm sure) and more protein!