Exercising with a toddler

Options
During all of the opportunities I have to exercise, I'm accompanied by my shadow. My son has autism and doesn't like being away from mommy or daddy for more than a few minutes at a time. I have a treadmill and a stationary bike but I don't know if he will sit and play by himself if I bring him in the garage with me. How do you exercise while keeping it safe for a little one? TIA!!

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    How old is your son? Could you exercise during his naptime or after he goes to bed in the evening? Or go for a walk with him in a stroller or carrier? Or if he's young enough, sit him in a pack n play right next to you with some toys to keep him entertained while you exercise. It's tough to work out with kids under your feet. Hope you can figure something out.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    During all of the opportunities I have to exercise, I'm accompanied by my shadow. My son has autism and doesn't like being away from mommy or daddy for more than a few minutes at a time. I have a treadmill and a stationary bike but I don't know if he will sit and play by himself if I bring him in the garage with me. How do you exercise while keeping it safe for a little one? TIA!!

It depends, if someone else can watch over them I'll exercise while they've got them, or if not then sometimes I exercise while they watch TV (I'm in the next room with the doors open so shouting distance away and the TV channel has no ads and all programmes are suitable for their age group; I also limit screen time but while they're watching it I may as well grab the opportunity to exercise) - other than that it's after they're in bed.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. My son is VERY needy, needs to be in my lap or arms alllllll day. The only thing I can do right now is put him in the stroller and go for a walk. His dad is out of the province for another 2 months (4 months total) and I find it so hard to be his only care giver when he needs soooo much attention. But we do what we can, they are our little angels so one day at a time I guess :-) good luck!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My son is still a baby so this might not be doable depending of the size of your kid, but I go for walks during which I carry him in an ErgoBaby carrier. I burn a lot more calories since I'm carrying him. I started with about 5 minute walks because at first I didn't have the back muscles, but now I go for up to an hour and he loves it.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    How old is he? My kids are 3 and 6. They either go play in their bedrooms, watch me sweat, or join me. With your son being Autistic, maybe you can do it in shorter spurts. How long does he normally entertain himself at a time? If he is good for 10 mins in the same room, set him up in the garage with a small table and something he likes (paints, coloring, books, games, puzzles, whatever he enjoys doing). Working out in 10 minute sessions is better than no workout at all. Plus, you can take a break after that 10 mins, join him in his fun or invite him to do some stretching or pushups or something else with you, and then go back to your treadmill or elliptical. :)
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. My son is 26 months and weighs 36lbs so I think a carrier is out of the question. lol I've being thinking about taking him for a walk in his stroller, but he gets hot so quickly that I have a limited window of opportunity until it gets cooler.
  • bubmaster
    Options
    you could excercise with him,play active games etc or ask family or a trusted friend to babysit for a hour or so.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    No one ever likes this answer ... but the only way I could find to exercise when my kids were at that stage was to ... get up earlier and exercise before they got out of bed. It is really the only "me" time for a busy mom, because you're going to be too tired at bedtime. It is so worth it, though, once you make it part of the routine. My kids can get out of bed on their own now, 6 years later, but I still get up and exercise before they do.
  • wendsong
    wendsong Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sprouse! In my educational experience with Autism, they will often fixate on things they enjoy for long periods of time. So your treadmill in the garage could work if you get him started with a toy or activity that he loves. Does he have one of the play sets that he can lay on his back in the pack and play and lay underneath (you know the thing that has hanging rattles, mirrors, etc..)? That might really work to your advantage or if that fails maybe short intervals while he is occupied will work. Jumping rope for short periods of time burns a lot of calories or sit ups, push ups, etc..

Hope this helps....God Bless on your journey!!:flowerforyou:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You've got a mini exercise machine on legs there:
    -Chase each other around the garden for 30 minutes.
    -Play football, taking turns to be in goal.
    -Piggy back squats to work the glutes and thighs.
  • charitas32
    Options
    I tend to go for the walk fast and hope he sleeps in the pram option as son2 is about the same age. I used a carrier until recently when he got too big and am thinking of buying my friends toddler one which is good up to 60lb. However I carried him a lot for the first yr and a half so gradually worked my way up to hoiking 35lb of toddler about on my back and to be honest steps or stairs really hurt my knees when using it and I could only carry for a max of about an hr
  • Kristiniya
    Kristiniya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do crunches while laying on the floor with my toddler, I just give him toys to entertain. When we go on a stroller ride I put weights on my ankles, to get more out of the walk. I do sit ups or lunges while brushing my teeth, and I do calf raises while washing dishes. Oh, and I do sit ups while waiting for something to be microwaved. Little here and there helps so much!!!! Good luck!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 20 months and also quite needy. I just work out while she naps or once she's in bed if at home! A friend of mine wakes up early and does a workout dvd before her son gets up. Thank god I have a creche at my gym!
  • brendas026
    brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    my 9 yr old son has autism too but hes on the mild side, so he just watches tv or plays in the ipad, I dont know how old is your son but if hes young put a lot of toys around, or give him something to eat while you workout and hes busy eating. maybe a small tv where you workout, so he can watch tv.
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do crunches while laying on the floor with my toddler, I just give him toys to entertain. When we go on a stroller ride I put weights on my ankles, to get more out of the walk. I do sit ups or lunges while brushing my teeth, and I do calf raises while washing dishes. Oh, and I do sit ups while waiting for something to be microwaved. Little here and there helps so much!!!! Good luck!

love this idea!!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    When my kids napped that is when I worked out. Or I'd wait for my husband to get home so I could go for a run in the evening.
  • AESprouse
    AESprouse Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice and tips. I plan to use everything. :)