What to eat before race???

Options
dougii
dougii Posts: 679 Member
My wife and I are running in our first official 5k tomorrow and I could use some advice on what to eat before the race. My normal run time is 5 a.m., the race will begin at 9:30 a.m. I normally run between 5 and 7 miles and do so on an empty stomach because I get up, warm up, stretch, and run. I don't think I want to go without eating before the 5k but most of what I read says not to change things before a race. If you have suggestions I would love to hear them - please don't just say "carbs" or "protien", some specific food choices would really be welcome. BTW it is a very flat course so I am attempting to shave 3+ minutes off of my PR which means I will be running as hard as I am able. Thanks for any assistance!

Replies

• Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Great news that you are running your first official run, you will love it! I don't think you need to worry about it too much, once you get to half or full marathons then you need to worry more about fuelling ...(and that can be you one day)!! Eat something light an hour before, not too much and stay hydrated...after the race have a good protein like eggs or fish or chicken! Mainly enjoy the day and all the people who are running! It's a great feeling!!! Good luck!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat your normal breakfast at your normal time. If you get up to run around 5, then you probably have breakfast no later than 7am, so you still have a couple hours to digest before the race.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would not change your routine.

I run in the mornings and do not eat anything before. Just drink a little water. I do the same on the race days and it works well for me.

What is your PR now? Taking off 3+ minutes from 5K time is a very challenging goal. Please share how you did after the race.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat your normal breakfast at your normal time. If you get up to run around 5, then you probably have breakfast no later than 7am, so you still have a couple hours to digest before the race.

I'd go with this - for 5 and 10k, you don't really need to vary your normal practices. Best of luck! Let us know how you both get on. (And of course, whether you get hooked. :-) )
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I always ate toast, no matter the distance of the race. Just a piece of toast with peanut butter or butter and jam. I got really nervous before races, though, so eat what you can handle and give yourself an hour or so to digest.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I'd go with this - for 5 and 10k, you don't really need to vary your normal practices. Best of luck! Let us know how you both get on. (And of course, whether you get hooked. :-) )

This is great in theory, but if you paid attention to his post, his normal running time is 5:00 in the morning, which is why he doesn't typically eat. Race time isn't until 9:30. So, unless you're suggesting he not eat until 10:00 or 10:30, this isn't practical.

I would eat breakfast at a somewhat normal, breakfasty time (7:00 or 7:30). It should give you enough time before race time to clear your stomach and you should be good to go. Don't worry about specific macros for your breakfast, just eat what you would normally eat.

Just make sure you get a good amount of water with breakfast and up to about 1/2 hour before the race. You usually run at twilight (yes, look it up, morning time is called twilight, too), so the sun isn't an issue. However, a 9:30 start time, the sun will be up and you'll be exposed. It's a short race, but it doesn't take long to get dehydrated and zapped in the sun.

Good luck on your race! I hope you and your wife have fun with it (and remember, contrary to popular belief, it *IS* all about having fun at these things).
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with staying with your normal schedule. I don't eat before I run, as I run so early. The 5Ks around here start much earlier, usually around 7:30am, so running a scheduled 5K isn't a challenge for me, as far as eating. If I was to enter one that started later....maybe I'd try to sleep in more...and maybe eat a greek yogurt to hold me over.

Terrific that you are hooked on running. Best of luck, and let us know how you and your wife do!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

This is great in theory, but if you paid attention to his post, his normal running time is 5:00 in the morning, which is why he doesn't typically eat. Race time isn't until 9:30. So, unless you're suggesting he not eat until 10:00 or 10:30, this isn't practical.

I would eat breakfast at a somewhat normal, breakfasty time (7:00 or 7:30). It should give you enough time before race time to clear your stomach and you should be good to go. Don't worry about specific macros for your breakfast, just eat what you would normally eat.

:laugh: You said it's "great in theory, but if you paid attention to his post..." then suggested EXACTLY what I suggested. :laugh:
  • meerkat70
    Options

:laugh: You said it's "great in theory, but if you paid attention to his post..." then suggested EXACTLY what I suggested. :laugh:

Ditto. Reading comprehension issues.... :-D
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions. You actually confirmed what we had pretty much decided. Eat a regular breakfast (smoothie for me, cereal for the wife) at about our nomal time of 7 a.m. Hydrate today and tomorrow morning and then head out and have a good time. BTW for those that asked my 5k PR is currently 39:04 and is run on the a very hilly road route that I mapped out from my house. I know that cutting 3 minutes off of this for a beginner runner may be asking a lot....but then I just started running on 5/20/12 and have worked up from a 1/2 lap at the track to running 7+ miles and the race is almost a totally flat course. Keep your fingers crossed or me and I will post our results tomorrow!
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So.......How did you both do????? :0)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I really hope you enjoyed your run - look forward to hearing about it. :-)
  • Peteshaped
    Peteshaped Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's great going if you just started out :) Keep up the good work!
  • magsi25
    magsi25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump