Heart Rate Monitors - what one did you get?

Options
I'm looking to buy a HRM so I know exactly how much I'm burning. I'm on a tight budget but I also don't want to invest in a totally crap one. What one did you get, how much did it cost and how effective do you find it? :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're on a budget check out the Polar FT4 or FT7. Polar has a good reputation for accuracy & quality products.

Personally I'm using a Garmin Forerunner but that's more a case of needing (wanting?) the GPS function to keep my distances honest, monitor pace etc.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Polar has an extensive line of products. Sigma for a bit less money but still good. www.heartratemonitors.com has them all.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use polar... I have the basic model, which is just heart rate, time spent and calories burnt but does the trick :-)
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have a polar, but it isn't really a heart rate monitor. It is for counting minutes, miles and steps. I used it on my treadmill to see if it is accurate and it is. It actually has helped me become much more active. I love it. I almost forgot it also tells the calories. You put in your weight and height and it figures everything else out for you.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. It's simple and works perfect. And it's fairly cheap, $60- $80.
  • Midnight1210
    Midnight1210 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 WearLink watch and chest strap set. It keeps track of time and calories burned. You can set it to your specific weight, height, age, etc. and it will let you know your target heart rate for maximum workout effect. I don't know how much it cost since I got it as a gift, but since my sister upgraded to a $300 one she calls her "**** Tracy Watch" with fancy GPS and distance tracking and everything else - I think the one I have is the basic model. Works great for me. 8 )
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Polar Ft4
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    polar FT40, about $120, totally love it. http://www.heartratemonitors.com
  • teally13
    teally13 Posts: 30
    Options
    I had a polar which was great and the polars usually link up to the machines in the gym. I now have a garmin forerunner for the gps as I'm doing more of my workouts outside.
  • kaatielove
    kaatielove Posts: 113
    Options
    Polar FT4 is what I have and absolutely love it!! :)
    You can get them for a pretty decent price on Amazon.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. Amazon has pretty decent pricing
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have a polar, but it isn't really a heart rate monitor. It is for counting minutes, miles and steps. I used it on my treadmill to see if it is accurate and it is. It actually has helped me become much more active. I love it. I almost forgot it also tells the calories. You put in your weight and height and it figures everything else out for you.

@ nursecheryl - Do you know the model number of your monitor please? It sounds like just the thing for me, I want distance, time and calories burnt, nothing else really.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7, but I wish I would have gotten the FT40 since it has a VO2 test.
  • rnunl
    rnunl Posts: 15
    Options
    Another Polar FT7, it's awesome!
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I'm looking to buy a HRM so I know exactly how much I'm burning. I'm on a tight budget but I also don't want to invest in a totally crap one. What one did you get, how much did it cost and how effective do you find it? :)

Get Polar Ft1 and with the money saved from the FT4 or FT7 buy a gymboss.
  • Ventnorman
    Options
    Just got a polar FT 7 today ! Very good and easy to set up ( only 5 mins ) just about to head out with it now
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I can't be the only one with a Garmin Forerunner 110? where are all the Garmin people!?
  • kaklos
    kaklos Posts: 13
    Options
    I just bought a Sportline S71. It's a cheap Wal Mart model that retails for about $30, but I found one at a liquidation store for $15. I wanna see how well it works before I invest in something more expensive.

Good luck everyone!
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I upgraded from the Polar FT7 to the RS300 last year and love it - the FT7 wasn't as accurate for me, the RS300 is spot on. Its a bit pricier but worth it.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Polar FT40 ( I don't ever exercise without it)