Protein is it true?

Options
I while shopping for whey protein i was told that our body can only absorb/process 25gm of protein per hour so if i have more than that is either store as fat or sent to waste. is this true?

Replies

• oohitsmalinda
    Options
    Protein cannot be converted to fat. It is just broken down into amino acids. It will not turn to fat.
  • oohitsmalinda
    Options
    Protein cannot be converted to fat. It is just broken down into amino acids. It will not turn to fat.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Correct. Carbs can be stored, but not protein. Extra proteins broken down into amino acids are converted by the liver into other usable molecules.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Protein CAN in fact, be converted to fat.

here is a much better explanation than I can give here.

http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/nut-protein-metabolism

as to how much you can have at one sitting, well that's a much more difficult question to answer, it varies depending on the individual, how much muscle mass you have, how active you are, what KIND of activities you are engaged in, your genetic disposition, your age, your sex, you current fat level...etc. Its a very complex equation. Body builders are constantly tweaking their protein levels to achieve maximal results, some never find the "sweet spot" others do quickly. It's a bit of a game to find the perfect amount, but usually you can feel safe that anything from 18% to 30% is generally ok for most people who have moderately active lifestyles.
  • trolly
    trolly Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! Excess protein = fat.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Excess anything can = fat
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Excess anything can = fat

Right!
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one for their responses greatly appreciated.