Mirror shock

Options
Now that I am eating a normal amount and working out more, I FEEL thin. I feel like I did when I was slender and had a perfect tummy, but then I look in the mirror, and I'm disappointed again and again. I forget what I look like now. It feels like I'm wearing a fat suit that I can't take off :-(

The only good thing with this disconnect, is that I carry myself with tons of confidence and I have noticed a lot more attention from the male population ;-) Fake it til you got it!!!

Replies

• krivedal
    krivedal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started taking a picture of myself once a week so I could see progress as I'm working to remove the 'fat suit'.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    @krivedal: Your pics look awesome!!! Both my mother (45) and my grandmother (65) use their age as a an excuse to not lose weight. I don't even know you, but I am so proud that you aren't making any excuses!!!
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    "fake it till you got it"
    i really like that!
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    UGH!!! Yes, I know JUST what you mean! I feel great, but the mirror definitely doesn't show it....
    However, the confidence and positive attitude make a big difference both in how you feel and how others perceive you :) Congrats on the increased male attention!
    I'm still trying to avoid long looks in the mirror and concentrating on enjoying the feel of looser clothes :)
  • kristiealexander76
    kristiealexander76 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The mirror??? I even lie to myself about the mirror. I can see changes and I "think" I look good --- until I see a picture of myself. I am doing Insanity right now and the changes ARE amazing. But yesterday my husband took a picture of me as I was working out and it was depressing. I looked at him and asked - "Do I really look like that?"

In my mind I look much better than I actually do. Needless to say I made him delete it. Now though I regret it. It would be kinda nice to look at that in a month and see the progress. (No I didn't take any before photo's because it was too painful to look at - but now I kinda regret it).

SO yeah I am with you. Guess I will "Fake it till I make it."

Kris
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can relate. In my mind, I'm a freaking god. But, the camera and mirrors tell me otherwise. Lol.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The mirror??? I even lie to myself about the mirror. I can see changes and I "think" I look good --- until I see a picture of myself. I am doing Insanity right now and the changes ARE amazing. But yesterday my husband took a picture of me as I was working out and it was depressing. I looked at him and asked - "Do I really look like that?"

In my mind I look much better than I actually do. Needless to say I made him delete it. Now though I regret it. It would be kinda nice to look at that in a month and see the progress. (No I didn't take any before photo's because it was too painful to look at - but now I kinda regret it).

SO yeah I am with you. Guess I will "Fake it till I make it."

Kris

You having great progress really quickly though, so you won't be faking it for long!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This proves to me that weight loss is much of a matter of the mind as it is the body. I constantly feel like the weight I want to lose is already gone, until I see a mirror.

When you get it right in your head, the rest will follow.
  • lcleve1993
    Options
    I just recently saw pictures of myself at my moms birthday party. I went feeling like I looked pretty good. Then I downloaded the pictures!! Urgh!! Not good at all. I wish I could snap my fingers and have my stomach & hips gone.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    @krivedal: Your pics look awesome!!! Both my mother (45) and my grandmother (65) use their age as a an excuse to not lose weight. I don't even know you, but I am so proud that you aren't making any excuses!!!
    You tell your mom to get up and start moving lol I am almost 42 and in the best shape since college! She will feel so much better ...Heck, get your grandma up too!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! It can be disheartening but I try not to let it get me down. The weird thing is, sometimes I look in the mirror and think I look pretty good, then later the same day, in the exact same outfit, I see myself and I'm completely dismayed. I have a picture of myself from when I'm much younger and thinner and more toned that I'm considering printing out to carry around with me as proof that I CAN look great as long as I stay motivated.
  • LivLostInStereo
    LivLostInStereo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I didn't think I was really losing until I measured my waist the other day, and discovered I'd shed three inches! Even though I've gone down in dress size and waist-measurement, I still look at photos my friends and I take together or stand in the mirror getting ready for the day ahead, I can't help but feel crappy. I'm like, "What the hell?! I thought it was going!" It's the most frustrating thing in the entire world!