Best bread

Options
Just something to put chicken breasts, left over talapia, some turkey etc. on.... and something besides mayo?

I guess "best" means the healthiest, lowest calorie, best-bang-for-your-buck ....

Replies

• Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

What bread do you choose?
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    My choice would be whole wheat, and use mustard or hot sauce instead of mayo.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I love the kind that you will find in my diary this morning. It's only 50 calories a slice and it's whole grain, which is what you want to look for. Men can eat two slices 100 calories a slice bread and still lose weight though. Just look for whole grain! Whole wheat is not as good as whole grain. I love Monastery Whole Wheat, though if you're looking for a really tasty bread. Oh, and I almost forgot the Ezekiel breads, they are super tasty and have chewy sprouted wheat in them, so good!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I use the Sarah Lee Delicious one, it's 45 cals/slice.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sprouted wheat and rye. 60 calories per slice, almost no carbs and very tasty.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

^this
    I use this also, tastes like regular bread not too grainy like alot of healthy multi grain breads. I get the kind with honey still only 45 cals a slice.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    And make the switch to mustard, usually 0-5 calories.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm Bread, 100% Whole Wheat, Stoneground is very low in sodium, Be careful, there are 2 virtually the same. The smaller loaf, with smaller slices, is only 70 calories and 65mg sodium per slice. The flavor is very good. Here's a link so you have an idea what you're looking for: http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=663410

I like Ezekiel sprouted bread. It's a little harder to find (usually in the freezer section if your store carries it) and a little more expensive.

As to the mayo, try switching to mustard. If you just really aren't ready to give up mayo yet (altho it is getting to be soooo expensive!) try the olive oil based mayo. Another "trick" is to mix a little mustard (I prefer whole grain) in with Greek yogurt. Or buy the Hidden Valley Ranch dry salad dressing mix, mix that with Greek yogurt, and use that as a sandwich spread and/or dip for veggies.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I use Food for Life Sprouted breads. Much lower on sugar and calories and so tasty!

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/sprouted-grain/breads/101C6-7-Sprouted-Grains-Flourless-Bread

This is my favorite. :)

I"m going to try this one tonight, though:

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/genesis-129/breads/141C6-Organic-Sprouted-Whole-Grain-and-Seed-Bread
  • RuthSweetTooth
    Options
    That sounds delicious. Wish there was a TJ near here.
    Trader Joe's sprouted wheat and rye. 60 calories per slice, almost no carbs and very tasty.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Whole grain with low sugar [3 grams].
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I use double fiber wheat bread. Natures Own makes it.
  • kattipoo93
    Options
    Sara Lee's 45 calorie and delightful wheat bread is good and not too too pricey :)
    And instead of Mayo, try Miracle Whip. It has about the same texture and a similar but slightly sweeter taste with less calories.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I love the Bon matin 60% whole wheat bread, it's 110 calories for two slices.
    But It isn't paper thin either, so it makes nice sandwiches. :)
  • RuthSweetTooth
    Options
    I use a mayo by Hellman's that has 15 calories. Walden Farms makes a zero calorie mayo. Fat free cream cheese is fun in place of mayo, and it has calcium. I have also heard of plain Greek yogurt used as mayo.

Changing away from full fat mayo is a great way to save a ton of calories.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Look for bread that is 100% whole grain. Alot of them say whole grain but they're not 100%.
  • newstar44
    newstar44 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I use this bread as well, multi-grain, soft, fresh....yummy!

Also, Smart Beat Mayo, 10 cal per tablespoon. Pretty tasty as well. Works great for chicken salad sandwiches.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I was going to say Trader Joe's sprouted rye! I just bought some for the first time yesterday and I LOVE it!! I love rye bread generally, but don't often get it because of calories and lack of nutrition - but I feel good eating this bread and it is so damn tasty!
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I use this bread as well, multi-grain, soft, fresh....yummy!

OK... that is what I bought today, so I am good to go!

I know, I shoulda asked BEFORE shopping :laugh:
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try Flatout- Soft 100% Whole Wheat Flat bread. 100 calories, 9 gr protein, 8 gr fiber, 2 gr fat