Do apples make you hungry?

Options
I'm hoping it isn't just me but I am ALWAYS hungry after eating an apple! I love Fuji apples but I don't eat them often because of the hunger that kicks in after I have an apple. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a food that you eat that makes you hungry? I'm not talking about the old joke about Chinese food either. Does anyone know WHY I get hungry after eating an apple? I am really plagued by this.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yes. I didn't realize if for the longest time but the sugar was making me hungry. So when I got hungry I would snack on fruit or vegetables because they're relatively low in calories and a short while later I'd be really hungry again.

Try getting your sugars down to the levels MPF recommends and see if that doesn't help.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this, even with other fruits or simple carbs. WIERD.
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Apples always make me hungry if I eat them on their own...paired with a tablespoon of PB, it's not a problem. :)
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Apples definitely make me hungry. So does white rice.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    They do make me hungry! That's why I usually pair them up with something.. a sandwich, salad... Or I even eat an apple as a dessert! They are so yummy :)
  • maggie2731
    Options
    I'm starving when i eat apples. also when i chew mint gum:smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Apples always make me hungry if I eat them on their own...paired with a tablespoon of PB, it's not a problem. :)

Ooooh. this! My favorite snack in the world and usually part of my breakfast!
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294
    Options
    No? Apples are food, I feel full after eating one.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I've been told it has something to do with the pectin...which leaves most people feeling full, but us lucky ones feeling hungry (or something like that). Like others, I have found pairing it with something else helps--peanut butter, cheese...generally some kind of protein is what I go for.
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

This ^^
  • lalaCNSbFS
    Options
    I thought i was the only person that gets hungry after eating apples. I used to have really bad acid reflux problems and so apples being acidic would always make my stomach even more acidic and make me hungry.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Apples need to be paired with protein, cottage cheese, cheese sticks or peanut butter. I don't think there is a cure for chinese food (I think it's the rice... carb, carb, carb).
  • l_beakley
    Options
    I feel so normal now, thank you! I'll try either peanut butter or vegan cheese the next time I have an apple & see if that helps. I never thought about pairing it with a protein.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If I have fruit, it is usually in combo with either greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, or topped with ricotta cheese (apricots stuffed with ricotta is a pretty low calorie and filling dessert, by the way). Having said that, I never have major issues with fruit making me hungry, especially pears.
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Too funny! My co-worker just told me that eating apples seems to clean out her stomach. So weird. I don't eat apples that often, so I don't know what to tell ya. I hope you find a remedy my friend!
  • l_beakley
    Options
    I just had an apple with vegan chocolate peanut butter & I'm NOT hungry! Thanks for the tips because I have never put anything on an apple before & this was super yummy :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Apples used to make me hungry, but when I upped my daily protein intake I'm pretty satisfied all day and can make it form meal to meal without feeling starving. Upping my protein was one of the best decisions I've made for my lifestyle (as well as reallllly cutting down on processed grains)
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yep... I don't eat them for that exact reason. I love them too...
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up my apples and stir them into 3/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt. All told it's around 200 calories (just under it, actually) and leaves me really satisfied and full. I often eat that as my mid-morning snack an hour or so before lunch, it helps me not eat too much at lunch.

Bonus: it's freaking delicious! The sweet apple + tart plain yogurt... omg NOM!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have an apple every day with my main meal. I think you'd have the hunger effect from any snack that was just carbs.