Can you suggest good workout DVD's?

Options
Hi! I'm fairly new at this working out thing. I'd consider myself a beginner. I currently use my elliptical machine and also do Leslie Sansone's 5 Really Big Miles. I've only finished up to 3 miles. Tried the 4 mile but couldn't finish. I'll get there.

I am looking for other things to do. I'm getting bored doing the same things all the time. Can anyone recommend a good cardio DVD workout that might be fun for beginners?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• Katiecando
    Katiecando Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was . Recommended the crunchless abs work out. I haven't got the money to buy it at this time but it looks like it would be good a fit for someone willing to do the work and wants a little change in their routine
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    beach body slim in 6. worked wonders for me. now, im trying insainity and the brazil butt lift. heard both are fantastic,
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here, myself included, like the Jillian Michaels dvds like 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and Extreme Shed & Shred. They combine strength training with cardio though, so if you're looking strictly for cardio, those wouldn't be your best bet. If you like dance, I have "Dance With Julianne: Cardio Ballroom" and it's REALLY fun!!!

A great way to try out numerous workout DVDs and find out what you like/don't like is to rent them from your local library. Not sure how your library system is, but in the county I live in, there's a library system website that allows you to search for whatever you want, and reserve it at whichever local library you want to pick it up from. If it's rented out, they email me once it comes in. It's an easy, free way to try out different workouts before buying them.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    Zumba videos are really easy. If you have Netflix, you can try out all of the different 10 minute and Crunch workouts to see what kind of workouts you like.
  • JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred. 25 minutes per day and all you need are hand weights and a very small workout area. DVD is $10. 3 workouts on the DVD, you do each one for 10 days. Just about the time you are getting sick of one, you start a new workout. It's a nice shock to the system... and it gives you a good all over workout.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im doing Jillian's 30 day shred right now and it's great. I was skeptical when I found out they are only 20 minute workouts, but they get you working HARD. I would recommend it big time.
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    30 day shred, biggest loser workouts,
  • mclick1
    mclick1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I personally like cardio dance workouts, and my favorites are Julianne Hough's two DVD's and the 10 minute Solutions cardio dance blast(or something like that.

The 10 Minute Solutions is actually on Netflix Instant, as well as a bunch of other workout videos, so you should check those out! If you don't have a membership, you can do the 1 month free trial and still be able to use them. I have it connected through my Wii so that I can do them in my living room.
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    I also recommend the 30 Day Shred :)
  • MorbidNTT
    MorbidNTT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You need to do research, watch youtube videos, watch infomercials... You won't be able to complete the Program if you dislike the Personal Trainer. Suggestions are all fine and good, but you need to research.... I would suggest Anything by Beach Body. I currently am doing Tapout XT, and I love it. But you may hate it. Research Circuit Training on your own.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to lose weight I used Leslie's videos, too. After about a month I added Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and then Jari Love. This was a few years ago. I no longer do Leslie's videos, but have several of Jillians, Jari's and have added Jackie Warner, and Tracey Mallet. I like trying new workouts. I normally get a new DVD every month or two. Or I get bored.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I looove turbo jams and turbo fire, since you are beginner I would say turbo jams --- I'm actually doing right know. Also I like the firm, exercise tv has really good DVDs, ---before you buy any check out the be fit on YouTube and fitness blender. Both has tons of free workout videos
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you have netflix try there. There is a guy name kendell hogan, at one point he had a video on netflix under the title crunch time but I know he has videos on YouTube
    look him up, his cardio routines are awesome--- I think he is from exercise tv
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    You need to do research, watch youtube videos, watch infomercials... You won't be able to complete the Program if you dislike the Personal Trainer. Suggestions are all fine and good, but you need to research.... I would suggest Anything by Beach Body. I currently am doing Tapout XT, and I love it. But you may hate it. Research Circuit Training on your own.

This! Look around on the net and find something that interests you. I love kickboxing type of stuff and someone that pushes, so started with Tae Bo and Bootcamps (the extreme abs was awesome). I got them 2nd hand at a local place real cheap. Now I am doing Beach Body's Insanity and love that too, but glad I didn't start with something so intense. Find what flicks your curiosity and you think you might enjoy and then get it. As long as you are "doing" them 100%, they all will work. You Tube is a great place to check out the short trailers and partial programs to see if it matches for you
  • GoaliesWife123
    Options
    Jillian Michaels- any DVD she has. She puts out quick, yet effective workouts. I've tested it with my HRM and consistently burn 400 calories in a half hour. Not to mention she usually has "levels" so once you are bored, you move on.

Also, for the record, I LOVE Jillian Michaels. She is the real deal and her workouts prove it.

If you like dance and need a cardio idea, I workout to the just dance Wii games. Easily burning 400+ cals and having a blast doing it!
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Go to your public library -- most have a Fitness Book section...and there are DVDs mixed right in. You can borrow them FREE and they usually give you a 2-3 week loan. That way you can try different types (dancing, Jillian Michaels, zumba, yoga, pilates)....I saw quite a few and borrowed 2. You won't have to spend money on any until you're sure of what you want to do. :flowerforyou:
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner's workouts. I prefer them by a mile over Jillian Michaels and my body feels significantly more worked over after the same time spent working out.

I'm currently loving my old Winsor Pilates DVDs (fricking Miley Cyrus' abs inspired me to get back into Pilates), Yoga Shakti with Shiva Rea (the mix and match, make your own workout is really versatile) and Ashtanga Yoga with Mark Darby is just excellent (http://www.amazon.com/Ashtanga-Yoga-Primary-Series-DVD/dp/B0006I036C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344205757&sr=8-1&keywords=ashtanga+yoga+mark+darby).

I'm waiting on a couple new yoga and Pilates DVDs.

If you have an iPhone also check out the Nike Training Club and Workout Trainer apps. They're free, and have great circuits.
  • obrien821
    obrien821 Posts: 215
    Options
    If you like kickboxing try Turbo Jam. If you want something that is low impact, then maybe Yoga Booty Ballet (which is a mixture of pilates with cardio) will work. ChaLean Extreme is awesome and I totally recommend it. It is resistance training w/ some cardio, as well. You will definitely lose inches/lbs with ChaLean Extreme. I recommend looking these up on Youtube.com as others have mentioned to see what appeals to you. Can message me if you have any questions about the ones I mentioned and I can give you more info about them. I have done Turbo Jam and ChaLean Extreme and will be happy to answer any other questions you might have about the programs. Happy hunting!! ;)
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a dvd with a short, low impact foundation for beginners, try PowerFit Plus. It's simple, easy on joints, and, only 20 minutes. When I started back into exercising, I found it was exeactly what I was looking for. There is a 20 minute beginners strength portion, as well, also easy on the joints and modifiable as you progress. If you are already doing Leslie Sansone, check this out first to see if this is where you are.

If you are looking for low impact intermediate, I have recently found Skinny Sculpt. Ellen Barrett is fantastic (low key, upbeat) , and, while the focus is toning, your heart rate is up enough to break a sweat. Her intermediate level, low impact cardio dvds also get great reviews and I expect to try these out soon.

I still love my Firm dvds (Transfirmer, Jiggle Free Abs, and BSSS1) if intermediate step is what you're after. They are wonderful, though, as with any step, not made for gentler joints.

Have fun!
  • kel8412
    kel8412 Posts: 35
    Options
    I enjoy "10 Minute Solution" DVDs because they give variety. My favorite is "Tone Trouble Zones". It uses an exercise band (included with the DVD). It is fun and interesting. It is not difficult to learn to do either.

I also agree with the above posts about Jillian Michaels and Jackie Warner. They are great workouts too! Oh and Julianne Hough's DVDs are super fun!