Oatmeal!

Options
I am a veeeeery picky eater but I went out and bought some oatmeal last night. I bought apples & cinnamon. Tried it and couldn't even finish half of it. I don't know if it was the texture or what, but I couldn't do it.

Some of my MFP ladies suggested to not give it up just yet and try it different ways/different flavors. So tonight I decided to give it a go again, something I normally won't do if I don't like something the first time around. Tonight, I added apple slices. Completely different and I loved it! So filling.

Whats your favorite oatmeal? What do you add to it to make it even better?

Replies

• skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I add blueberries or strawberries to mine. Peaches are fairly low in calories, you could also add them. :smile:
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of peanut butter (i like chunky for the texture), banana slices, and some truvia. It's my favorite breakfast by far - I'm good til lunch!
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOVE oatmeal! I normally just buy the regular oats and cook them with coconut milk (So Delicious Vanilla Coconut milk) Gives it a little sweetness without all the added sugar. You can add whatever you want to it! I normally mush up a banana in the bottom of the bowl and add the oatmeal. I do blueberries sometimes too. I often make baked oatmeal casseroles and split it up, put individual servings in tupperware and leave in the fridge for the mornings!
  • adsumodo
    adsumodo Posts: 38
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I basically put everything and anything in it. I make it with half milk and half water, then add cinnamon, vanilla extract, ground flax seed, blueberries, honey, and peanut butter. It's a lot but it's a very satisfying and delicious breakfast :)
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love the instant Apples and Cinnamon as well. Good, quick, nutritious and great for helping lower cholesterol.
  • leighanngates
    leighanngates Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, and up until a year or so ago I absolutely HATED oatmeal. A friend of mine told me to think of something I really liked, and add it to the oatmeal. I made real oatmeal (as opposed to the microwave kind), added just a tad of low fat peanut butter, and drizzled the top with an itty bit of real honey I bought from a bee farm close to me. AWESOME! Now I actually crave it sometimes.

(PS - the real kind does have a different flavor and texture than the zap-it kind. You can actually look at it and see the difference.)
  • Shadarea
    Options
    My mother can't stand oatmeal and cites "texture" as the reason. For me, I don't mind at all and eat it often. Who knows why? Maybe you have overcome the texture issue. I cook it in the microwave with milk and add different fresh fruit, whatever looks good: blueberries, strawberries, finely cut peaches. It's ALL good. Some people add walnuts, almonds, or soy milk.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I like it with greek yogurt and fruit!
  • christmasjingle
    christmasjingle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Would you share your recipe for baked oatmeal casserole? Thanks!
  • dwallior3326
    Options
    I am the same as you, it makes me gag!! But adding nuts or fruit makes it so much better. My boyfriend puts his oatmeal on top of wheat toast (kinda gross looking), but I tried it and its actually pretty good lol.
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    bump
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Instant with peanut butter and raisins. Refrigerator with bananas, blueberries and coconut milk. Stovetop with bananas and pecans.
  • cgafriday
    cgafriday Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    TJ multi-grain oats and add 1 TBL walnuts and 1/4 C fresh or 1 TBL dried fruit~no need for sugar....SUPER YUMMY and filling!
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    i like it made with silk soy milk, dash of salt, a circle of lite maple syrup and two or three tablespoons of light brown sugar. YUM. EVERY. MORNING!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm very picky too. But mine is mostly texture. I can't stand rolled oats, but my husband accidently picked up steel cut one time and I love it. It's Coach's brand.

Even though I am picky, I like to try different things. The other day I was trying to figure out how to get a protein and a carb in my breakfast, so I added peanut butter to the oatmeal. My husband ws grossed out, but I liked it.
  • MelCox76
    Options
    I cook mine with a little less water than suggested so it's thick and add just a little half and half, usually a tablespoon or less to about a cup of cooked oatmeal. It's really good with blueberries or peaches. The half and half gives it a great flavor without adding too many calories.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    I use the plain instant (just because I'm lazy!) and I add skim milk and fruit to it. Usually I add banana or berries.

This is great for people that don't like the texture, the skim milk thins it.

Also, a great evening snack or dessert substitute is fat free vanilla yogurt, pineapple and oatmeal.
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Steal cut oats....a must have.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal with chopped almonds and dried cranberries or Greek yogurt and peaches.