Oatmeal!

Options

Replies

• Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Maple and Brown sugar is probably my favorite. I grew up eating oatmeal and then got away from it for years. I started eating it again probably a couple of years ago before I even made a decision to lose weight. It is filling and has good stuff in it.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm just curious to why you're so set on eating oatmeal if you don't like it?
  • dervie9
    dervie9 Posts: 2
    Options
    I realize it isn't the most nutritious, but I add peanut butter and chocolate chips :)
    On less naughty days, I love fruit like berries and stone fruits in my oatmeal.
    In the winter, on the weekends, I'll cook up a big batch of steel cut oats with a little butter in it, and cook it with all sorts of chopped dried fruits (apricots, cherries, etc.) and spices like cinnamon, ginger, and cloves, and serve it with pecans or other nuts.
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Blueberries, strawberries, peaches, cinnamon/brown sugar, and my favorite way to have it is with cinnamon and bananas. Sometimes I add a little bit of creamer to it with strawberries and it tastes like strawberries and cream. I usually cook mine with water, but I add a little bit of almond milk to it once it's done to make it creamier. You can add dark chocolate chips, stevia, raisins, honey, or agave nectar as well. There's so much you can do with oatmeal because it's kind of plain tasting on it's own, just try out different things and see what you like.
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Regular oatmeal with a bit of salt and honey most every day at work. Great mid-morning snack and a complex carb, so it doesn't cause an insulin spike.
  • lyndaaaaaaa
    lyndaaaaaaa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I make Coach's Oats. I have found that the instant oatmeal is kind of sweet for me. I have been chopping up a whole peach and then I also mix in a little bit of Activia LIGHT yogurt. Between the two they add a bit of sweetness without overpowering, or adding brown sugar. I also sometimes add some chopped walnuts or almonds. Yum!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    1.Cook sliced bananas with oatmeal when done top with toasted walnuts
    2. apple sauce and cinnamon cooked in oatmeal
    3. 1c. blueberries and cinnamon cooked in oatmeal, so many blueberries that it reminds me of cobler and is better if it sits awhile and cools down gets that cobler texture.
    3. add raw oatmeal to your smoothie
  • irefusetoquit
    Options
    I tried regular oatmeal once and couldn't stand the blandness of it. I started trying little things over time to add flavor, and its worked. As far as what you wanna add it all depends what extra flavor do you want to add to it? Since oatmeal is natural, I chose to add natural stuff into it for flavor. 1 spoon peanut butter, 1 spoon maple syrup.

The more of the stuff that you add, the more your calories change.
    Gotta do what's important to you.

Six months ago, I used to take oatmeal, a scoop of chocolate whey protein, and water. Nuke it (depending on your microwave). Voila - homemade chocolate oatmeal. :)
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This girl has some delicious baked oatmeal recipes. Makes it portable and changes the texture. It's more like banana bread, or a muffin. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/22/banana-bread-baked-oatmeal/
  • lyndaaaaaaa
    lyndaaaaaaa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I never thought of peanut butter in oatmeal! I'll have to try that .. thanks !
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup plain oatmeal + 1 TBS unsalted natural peanut butter + 1/2 banana = about 200 filling calories.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of peanut butter (i like chunky for the texture), banana slices, and some truvia. It's my favorite breakfast by far - I'm good til lunch!

Regular (plain) oatmeal? I LOVE peanut butter and bananas together, so this could be delicious.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I buy plain oatmeal then add brown sugar, cinnamon, and banana slices ( or raisins). It is sooooooooooo good! And it lowers cholesterol! =)
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    I'm just curious to why you're so set on eating oatmeal if you don't like it?

Well, I've come to notice since trying new things if I don't like it and try it different ways, I end up liking it. I always eat the same things over and over so I'm trying a lot of new things so I can have variety in my diet.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    1/4 cup plain oatmeal + 1 TBS unsalted natural peanut butter + 1/2 banana = about 200 filling calories.

Will definitely have to try this.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and 1/2 tablespoon of honey. The PB gives it great flavor along with a bit of protein and the honey adds just enough sweetness. I use just enough water to give it a fairly thick consistency ... that is the way I prefer it. I don't add any milk ... as I said, I like it thick ... but I normally drink a glass of skim milk with it.
  • donnajcruz
    Options
    My favorite way to eat oatmeal: Use uncooked oatmeal, add cinnamon, sliced almonds, artificial sweetner and put in freezer just for about 15 min. (the time it takes to fix my face). By not cooking the oatmeal, you avoid the slimy texture of cooked and it is really great ice cold. Could add any fruit you want. Try it.
  • shherm
    shherm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. Interesting flavor and better for you
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I use lower or sugar free maple and brown sugar in a 12 oz styrofoam cup with 9 oz of water. Let it "cook" until it's finished (I get busy at work and so after 15 or 20 minutes it's done). Then, I add 2 tsp coffee creamer (20 calories) and microwave until starts to bubble up (hand on the door to open because once it bubbles it's fast), add 1 tsp I can't believe it's not butter (15 calories) and let it cool down. Sometimes a package of equal, sometimes not.

This takes me from 8:00 am to 11:00 am, then snack, and at 1:00pm lunch! It's funny how breakfast can be sitting right next to you and you aren't as hungry...
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I add PB2 and Cocoa powder to my. LOVE it?