How many vitamins should you take a day?

Options
So I take a multi vitamin. I am a 24 year old female. Are there additional vitamins I need to take and why?

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on you and what your body needs. I take a Multivitamin every day along with an Iron pill, Vitamin C pill, B-12 pill and a B-Complex pill.
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Depends... does your multi vitamin have calcium, iron etc?

Personally I take one multi vitamin that includes calcium and iron.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have alot of advice on this subject.

Centrum is the best vitamin supplement I have ever found, and I have done lots of research.

For starters, if you take ALOT of vitamin supplements, you will gain weight. (I know this from experience!) I used to take calcium, selenium, vitamin c, vitamin e, zinc, etc. and I balooned up alot and couldnt figure out why. When I stopped all of that and just went to a multi, I was fine.

I do not recommend those packs of vitamins you can get from GNC either, they give you a packet of 7 pills and it is just too many to take. If you take too many they make you feel nauseous.

The rule of thumb is, if your body is lacking something that you are not getting from food, ie zinc, iron, etc you should take a supplement for it, but if you are eating the correct amount of veggies and fruits/day you should be fine without taking alot of supplements.

Older people should take calcium, etc, but if you are young and healthy, just eat 2/3 of your plates with veggies/fruit and you are fine.

Fish oil is poplular to be taken for metabolism if you do not eat very much fish. For women, fish is VERY healthy, and that is the only supplement I take daily (since I do not eat much fish). If you are like me, you can get fish oil capsules but please remember that the non-organic, non-farm-raised may not be as good for you. I recommend vitacost.com and look for farm-raised fish, that way you know they didnt catch the fish from a river that could have contaminates in it.

Hope that helps.

I learned alot from reading remedies books, webmd, and health sites online.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Right now there is a high demand for Vitamin D. If you're not out in the sun, especially in the cold months here in the North East, it's important to try and get at least 100% of your daily value. I take One A Day and they have upped the Vit D in it.

Taking a multi once a day should be good. The body absorbs the vitamins and minerals better through the food and minerals we eat.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Thanx :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Remember that there are certain vitamins that are fat soluble and water soluble. Some are easily absorbed when combined with certain foods...hince vitamin D is added to OJ...its easily absorbed because they work together.
    I take a multi, a B complex (I'm a vegetarian...need the B vits that don't come from plants alone), and an additional iron supplement.

I'm not a huge fan of wikipedia...but the info on vitamins is correct (at the moment...until someone messes it up, lol).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin

http://www.iom.edu/Global/News Announcements/~/media/474B28C39EA34C43A60A6D42CCE07427.ashx
    Also, the link above may help.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am anemic so I have to take extra iron pills. When I first started taking vitamins I felt sick after but that was only because I was taking them on an empty stomach. I now drink something or eat something that coats my stomach and then take them. I have never had an issue with balooning up because of taking vitamins. Do you think maybe you were allergic to something in one of them?

Ok, I have alot of advice on this subject.

Centrum is the best vitamin supplement I have ever found, and I have done lots of research.

For starters, if you take ALOT of vitamin supplements, you will gain weight. (I know this from experience!) I used to take calcium, selenium, vitamin c, vitamin e, zinc, etc. and I balooned up alot and couldnt figure out why. When I stopped all of that and just went to a multi, I was fine.

I do not recommend those packs of vitamins you can get from GNC either, they give you a packet of 7 pills and it is just too many to take. If you take too many they make you feel nauseous.

The rule of thumb is, if your body is lacking something that you are not getting from food, ie zinc, iron, etc you should take a supplement for it, but if you are eating the correct amount of veggies and fruits/day you should be fine without taking alot of supplements.

Older people should take calcium, etc, but if you are young and healthy, just eat 2/3 of your plates with veggies/fruit and you are fine.

Fish oil is poplular to be taken for metabolism if you do not eat very much fish. For women, fish is VERY healthy, and that is the only supplement I take daily (since I do not eat much fish). If you are like me, you can get fish oil capsules but please remember that the non-organic, non-farm-raised may not be as good for you. I recommend vitacost.com and look for farm-raised fish, that way you know they didnt catch the fish from a river that could have contaminates in it.

Hope that helps.

I learned alot from reading remedies books, webmd, and health sites online.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended a multi vitamin that has alot of the extras in it. (Selenium , Zinc, Calcium, etc..) I really like it. I also take Omega 3, Biotin, B-complex, CQ-10