Addicted to the Scale

Options
So I have such a bad addiction, I weight myself EVERY single day and I know that this is not a good thing. I am OBSESSED with it and always have been!! I need to just put the scale away and only bring it out once a week but I then worry that I am not doing a good enough job. I weighed myself this morning and am going to put it away and try and not weigh myself until next Sunday. How many times do you weigh yourself and does anyone else have the same addiction as myself?

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If I had a scale, I would have the same addiction, because I love numbers and measuring, and it would be fun to input all the numbers into MFP and get a little graph. But as it is, I don't have a scale, and I only weigh myself when I go to the gym, because there is a scale there.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to weigh yourself all the time - it depends what significance the numbers have to you, and whether they impact on your self-esteem. I know people who get really upset if they have gained a pound in 24 hours, and so I think they would be happier without scales. But I expect my weight to fluctuate by a few pounds within 24 hours, and so it doesn't bother me, so for me the addiction would be harmless from that angle - although it might waste time!
  • Newf13
    Newf13 Posts: 28
    Options
    I do that too, sometimes multiple times a day I'll find myself on the scale stressing about the number, but I've been trying to ween myself away from it by weighing myself every morning when I wake up and so far I've been able to just do that. I don't think I could put the scale away for a week, but I guess we'll see what happens as my weight loss progresses.
  • krypt71
    krypt71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single morning as well. When I'm losing it's not so bad. But those stalls drive me nuts! Can't seem to stop though. Even if I have a cheat day I have to get on and check the damage. The worst part is when I just have water fluctuations--no cheating but still stall or gain. Then I wish I could have someone hide it from me.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    As long as you understand and accept that your weight fluctuates (due to your time of month, whether or not you've gone to the bathroom, etc.) regardless of your progress, I think it's fine to weigh yourself every day.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to my scale. I weigh myself first thing every single morning. Then again two or three times a day usually when I am home. I know, it is insane. But I have an one track mind, and right now my total focus is weight loss above all else. I wish I could just weigh once a week. I have tried to do that before, but failed and was on the scale within 24 hrs....but the way I see it, at least I care about it now...I went years and years avoiding the scale.
  • ashleew1117
    Options
    I as well had this addiction as well, i have found that setting a certain day a week and only tracking that day is helping me.
    Now sometimes i'll weigh myself other than on Wednesdays to see how good/bad i have been doing so far up to my weigh-in but i don't track it.
    The only time that i track my weight is if its on Wednesday's, now i usually only weigh myself about 2 times a week other than on my weigh in days. It has really helped.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I knew I would have this problem too. So, after I got a scale I made a pact with myself to only check my weight twice a week. Once on Tuesday to see how I did over the weekend, and once on Friday to see where I'm at before the weekend starts. It is actually working pretty well for me.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself once in the morning, once at night. On average I weigh 2 lbs more at night. But I only track and truly count my weight one time a week. I put the scale away for 2 weeks and I gained several pounds. Plus I was going nuts not knowing.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week. I now weigh every morning but I only record my weight here on Monday morning's So if I didn't lose anything on Monday but I did on Tuesday, that's too bad. I will wait till the following Monday to record it. It doesn't bother me. :)
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    find somebody to hide it and dont let them tell you where. i have hubby put it in places that i cant reach even on a chair, or he hides it in the house where id never find it. he changes the spot every week and only gets it down no more than once a week.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If I had a scale, I would have the same addiction, because I love numbers and measuring, and it would be fun to input all the numbers into MFP and get a little graph. But as it is, I don't have a scale, and I only weigh myself when I go to the gym, because there is a scale there.
    I relate to this! I weigh myself once a day, not necessarily for cheering myself up or kicking myself in the pants, I just really want to know how much I go up and down over a week or month. Now that my dirty secret is out, I may just have to find myself a spreadsheet that I can turn in to a graph - I want to see a predictable pattern!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the scale. I have gotten better though. I used to weigh multiple times throughout the day, but in order to save my sanity, I stopped. I can't handle seeing the numbers increase through the day, so now it is only first thing in the morning with no clothes. I really try to only weigh once a week for the same reason -- I get so flustered when I see that daily fluctuation. I would love to weigh once every two weeks, or even once per month --- but I am not there.

In the past, I have put a note on my scale with a date written on it. The date is my next weigh date. So if I am tempted to step on the scale, I see the note and put myself back in gear. Put the note somewhere on your scale that would require you to remove it before weighing yourself (maybe right over the display). You will have to think about what you are doing before removing the sign. It may just buy you enough time to calm down and walk away.
  • Nik0417
    Nik0417 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i have this habit myself... i'm going to also try not to weigh myself until next Saturday! i wish you luck because i know how tempting it is to weigh myself every day! Every time i walk into my bathroom i want to step on the scale just to see my progress to as well see that i'm making some improvement!

i wish you luck on trying to break this habit!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I bought the fitbit aria scale which strays me from weighing in too much. I weigh in 1 a day and that is it.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. I weigh myself every day too and I don't see anything wrong with it. I have a good understanding of how the body works and how weight can fluctuate due to hormones, waste, and water retention. I read somewhere that in a study of people who had lost a lot of weight and maintained for a least a year, many were daily weighers. The only way I see it would be a problem is if you're one of those people that expects to see weight loss every day or absolutely freaks out over gaining a pound or two of water weight. Ask yourself if weighing yourself daily is causing you to engage in unhealthy behavior or if seeing a small gain causes you to become so upset that you're tempted to give up. If the answer is 'no' then carry on as you are.
  • KeelzK
    KeelzK Posts: 9
    Options
    I weigh multiple times a day so I can definitely relate.
  • EileenT72
    EileenT72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    <
    Several times a day. :ohwell:
  • skimbrough28
    skimbrough28 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale that I bought from Bed Bath and Beyond and I'm addicted to it. It gives you your weight and ounces. It helps me watch when I'm gaining . It's actually been a good tool in helping me identify which foods I should stay away from. I weight myself at least three times a day (after each meal) and track my weight.
  • Chetanpayne
    Options
    I like to weight myself everyday as well. I have been mindful to not take that number personally or have it impact my day. I say as long as you can look at this from a satistic or scientific stance and not get all bummed out if the number is over or stalled, there is not worry!
    I have also done this. I weigh myself everyday....say from sunday to sunday. then I take that number and divide by 7 and that is the average. So, if you want to weight yourself everyday this is a way that would give you a realistic and fair number at the end of the week.
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself daily, I suppose we are all addicted to something. Don't stress :smile: