Shyness working out around people?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• looby_loo91
    Options
    If people are watching you exercise it's generally because they're thinking "Damn, I need to do some exercise!!" If you join a gym definitely agree to sticking headphones on and zoning out. And take it easy on yourself - build up to stuff. If you join a gym, just start with light exercise so you don't get too sweaty and self conscious. Then as you realise everyone's focusing on their own workouts, step yours up! I go bright red and sweat like a pig in the gym but I couldn't care less =) Good luck getting over your shyness and well done on being brave enough to admit it! Definitely a step in the right direction hun xxxxx
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    Same here. That's why I work out at home. Our community has two gyms but I stopped using them. Had a very unpleasant experience with some weirdo following me around the gym and staring at me while I worked out. Never went back. I've been working out at home for about 10 years now. Love it. I have my own space and can shut the door and forget about the rest of the world.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Even if it does feel embarrassing and you feel like you're being judged, you probably aren't. Seeing people exercising makes me happy, it's great that they are doing something great for their health! It also may make me start thinking that I should do some exercise if I haven't already.

I do notice that it's harder for me around people I know, but working out in a gym should be be easier since people wouldn't really be watching you (I've only been to hotel gyms though). Going outside to bike, run, or walk is a good confidence booster, all I ever get when people see me is a friendly smile or nod.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't actually have this problem... BUT I can tell you what I think when I see someone sweating through a walk or struggling to jog just a few more steps. GOOD FOR YOU!!! When I see new people at my gym who are clearly uncomfortable on the elliptical or with the weights: GOOD FOR YOU!!! And when new people are taking a class (because it's a much more social situation - not nearly as individual), I help them, encourage them, tell them to come back and say: GOOD FOR YOU!!!

The people who will judge you negatively are the ones who won't get out and take that walk, work up that sweat and will never step through the door of a gym.

Remember - you are a positive example to people who want to improve their health and fitness and a nagging thorn to people who don't. You rock, they roll...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Never been a problem, I just exercise.

Most people in a gym could care less about you.

Think about it, we're in an era of epic narcissism. People at the gym are too wrapped up in themselves to notice you.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I feel the exact same way! I've been married for 13 years and won't even exercise in front of my husband! I want to join a gym so badly but feel embarrassed that people will look at me or think what she doing here?! I wish I knew how to get past it!

I still won't exercise in front of my husband either. :embarassed:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    OP- Do you have a gym you can go to? I know it may seem counter-intuitive to go to a place to work out with others being as how you're self conscious, but I think if you just force yourself to go to a gym you'll find that everyone there is sweating, listening to music, watching the TVs, and generally doing their own thing and not paying attention to anyone else. They won't be judging you because everyone's there for the same reason. The only people that get the hairy eyeball are the goofballs that show up and do everything BUT workout (talk on the phone, chit chat, prance around looking like it's a pickup bar). You will fit right in. I promise.

I agree with this. I find that if you go to a gym, people are much more easy to give support and credit for you just going. Who cares what you look like? Every time I'm there and I see someone who others might make fun of or something, I'll give a smile while they're kicking *kitten* or say hello, just something to make them feel better. I do the same thing on the street too. Don't worry about what others think, they're not worrying about what you think! :flowerforyou: