23lb lost - don't look any different!

Options
As above really.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my general health, which I am happy about. But 23lb seems like a pretty substantial weight loss to me, and whilst my ankles are definitely making an appearance, when I measure myself (hips, stomach and thighs), I have not lost an inch!
My clothes feel exactly the same, and when people ask how I'm doing with my weight loss and I say 23lb, I get a look of disbelief.

I go to the gym around 3-4 times a week, but I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do have a grand total of 121lb to lose (98lb left), so I'm wondering if it's because I have a long way to go. It's not overly motivating, if I'm honest.

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I had 30-40 lbs to lose originally and it took at least half to come off before I noticed a big difference. You have a long way to go, just stick with it and it will happen.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you have that much to lose, it may take longer to show. If you are 40 lbs overweight and you lose 23 it will show up a lot more than someoen who has to lose 100+ lbs to lose and loses the same. 23 lbs is great. Don't get discouraged.
  • noweightfisherj
    noweightfisherj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at before and after pics of yourself? You might be surprised by what you see.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hello! Unfortunately everyone is different. Give it time it will happen. I bet one day you just look in the mirror and go 'wow, that is me"

I have been doing this for about four months now and it is only this past week or so that I have noticed a shape difference.

Don't give up, you have made amazing progress so far, 23lbs is loads!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    As we lose, you just have to "take what you can get" so to speak! I think that after only 23 pounds lost the fact that you have seen a change in your ankles is amazing!! Although I can't say if this is 100% truth, most people say they lose weight last in the areas where they gained it first, which for women tends to be in the hips/midsection. Don't give up! A few more pounds and people will start commenting, they usually notice it in the face first :) You can add me as a friend if you'd like! 23 pounds is a great accomplishment!
  • MCrome
    MCrome Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thats so harsh :(
    erm I would go to your gp because thats not right ..all that exercise should be toning u .
    some people have strange metabilsms , you might be harming yourself without realizing .
    Im not an expert , just saw the post and felt bad x
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Typically at about 20% loss is when others will notice. I'm at 20 lbs lost and I have had to drop a size in jeans and I notice things fitting better but it took some time. I haven't lost much in inches either. You'll get there. Don't give up. Feel free to add me if you need support.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    As above really.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my general health, which I am happy about. But 23lb seems like a pretty substantial weight loss to me, and whilst my ankles are definitely making an appearance, when I measure myself (hips, stomach and thighs), I have not lost an inch!
    My clothes feel exactly the same, and when people ask how I'm doing with my weight loss and I say 23lb, I get a look of disbelief.

I go to the gym around 3-4 times a week, but I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do have a grand total of 121lb to lose (98lb left), so I'm wondering if it's because I have a long way to go. It's not overly motivating, if I'm honest.

Are you taking pictures? If you aren't........do. That is how you will really see the difference.
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know how you feel about this. Though I'm posting 15~20lbs lost, I don't see much of a difference at all. There are a very few articles of clothing that fit differently, and it's not a large amount. There is one pair of shorts that has gotten too big, however it was a bit looser to start with (since I couldn't fit the next size down due to cut).

It's disheartening, but you have to just trust that once you lose a bit more, you'll start showing. It's not something I attest to begin good at, but it's what I have to tell myself. If you can make it to 30lbs without seeing an improvement, maybe there is something more at work. In any case, you have to lose the weight, regardless of the 'results', so just set your mind to it and do it.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I am trying not to get discouraged, it's just hard, especially when people don't actually believe you are losing weight.

Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?
  • hs1956
    hs1956 Posts: 16
    Options
    You have a great start with the loss. Many folks with a lot to loose don't notice appearance change in a bigger way until they hit the 40+ loss or more. Take photos for your records and use a tape measure for waist, hips, arms, etc. What you can't see through a visual glance will show up there. You may want to start some strength training at some point if you are looking for more definition. Hang in there.
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm in the same boat except I do do strength training. I'm down 20 lbs (30 lbs if you count the 10 I lost before MFP) and no one has said anything and I am still wearing the same sizes.

I have decided to focus on how good I feel (when I am not sore from working out) and hopefully my body will catch up with me. =)
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 before even my mom said anything. I'm 6'0 tall and the weight is spread pretty evenly so it takes about 20# just to lose 1 size.

23# is great! Keep up the good work!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You're still 83% away from your goal. You're off to a great start, keep it up! And start lifting weights (not little pink dumbells), you'll notice more physical change as the weight comes off.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I didn't see anything at 10-15 pounds, and just started to notice at 20 lbs. Now I'm at 26 pounds lost and about halfway to my goal. I was at my step-son's house yesterday and his wife looked me over and said "Have you lost weight?" :bigsmile:

Be patient, its working for you and the visual rewards are just around the corner.
  • PixLover
    Options
    You and I have almost exactly the same number stats, and it did take awhile for people to start noticing for me as well. However, with that said, keep in mind that this is a lifestyle change that is propelling you toward greater health... it's ok if others don't notice; do this for yourself and the rest will come down the road. Good luck and don't give up!!!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

visceralfat.jpg

From places that really matter.
  • stefanie1990
    stefanie1990 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lb and have another 20 to go, but I haven't lost an inch from around my waist.
  • Bonnyr1971
    Options
    I have lost 15lbs so far, I too go to the gym 3-4 days a week, cut my calories to 1200 and have not noticed anything different other than more energy. I started at 224 and currently at 209 and still want to lose another 60. 23lbs is a great and you need to just stay motivated. : ) Have a great day!
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You didn't sound like you were happy 23 lbs. heavier. You have to keep at it... no one says it is fun, or easy. You are much better off realizing this now... instead of later. Each year you age, it only gets HARDER.