23lb lost - don't look any different!

Replies

• My body seems to lose it where it wants to not where I want it to. My wife laughs at my skinny legs but it won't shift from my middle still.

Keep going as others have said one day out of the blue you will notice that things are a bit looser
  • I'm with Chairless, stick with it. A lot of what I read is that you lose the fat internally around your hear and other organs first. My bet is that if you had your cholesterol or triglycerides tested you would feel a whole lotter better about your progress. Hang in there, your inner hotness will emerge!
  • What percentage have you lost thus far? I found that it's not so much the number of pounds, but the percentage you lose that'll determine if it's noticeable. I found that when I lost over 10% is when it started to become noticeable. Best of luck!
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    It was about 30lbs or so before I could see the difference in me. Keep up your great work, you will start to notice pretty soon!
  • Yes I have. I have lost 21lbs. I feel like I´m lighter and happier but not lost an inch. My clothes are the same and I´m running out of clothes, I only have two pants that fit and lots of smaller ones that I can´t still fit into. This irritates me. I´m ok with not losing a lot but I was hoping my shape would change a bit, not much, just a bit. But the only change I can see is my watch is constanly turning on my wrist and I have to have 1 -2 links removed :D
    Lets hope we will see difference soon.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

My assumption is you are losing it in the areas that aren't the typical places we measure when losing weight! I've read a few more posts from other people here and some people pointed out strength training. This REALLY helped me lose a lot of inches! I went from being a size 10 in January to a size 6 now and I have only lost about 3 pounds since January!
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    23 lbs lost is GREAT! Don't get discouraged because you haven't lost "inches" Because, honestly, you ARE losing weight. Unfortunately, it's not all concentrated in one area that is measurable right now. It sounds like you're losing weight everywhere. I agree with other posters about taking pictures to compare (and share!) We are sometimes overly critical of ourselves and while YOU may not have noticed it, it may be noticable to others.

A lot of times, you can tell that you're losing weight because your face begins to look thinner. You can't really measure that. Sorry if this is so disjointed, (I'm still working on my coffee!) but just wanted to encourage you to keep going and SOON you will be able to see (and measure!) the loss! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    As above really.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my general health, which I am happy about. But 23lb seems like a pretty substantial weight loss to me, and whilst my ankles are definitely making an appearance, when I measure myself (hips, stomach and thighs), I have not lost an inch!
    My clothes feel exactly the same, and when people ask how I'm doing with my weight loss and I say 23lb, I get a look of disbelief.

I go to the gym around 3-4 times a week, but I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do have a grand total of 121lb to lose (98lb left), so I'm wondering if it's because I have a long way to go. It's not overly motivating, if I'm honest.

In my experience (I started out needing to lose 160+lbs), the first 25-30lbs was alot of fluid retention and fat coming off my internal organs. Once I got over the -30lbs mark, I started to notice a big difference. Did you take before photos? I did, and then I took some more at -30lbs. The biggest difference I could see was I didn't look as "puffy" because I had flushed so much fluid out of my system. Before, I looked like I'd had some sort of allergic reaction.
  • AnneM69
    AnneM69 Posts: 30
    Have you measured your chest, and looked for back fat? They say that you lose weight first from your back, specifically between your shoulder blades.
    I've lost 12lb in the last 12 months too and I don't look much different either, but some tight clothes without stretch in them have more room in them than they had last year and I had to buy smaller jeans from the charity shop as my others were falling off me.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Congrats on the 23lb loss!!! Like many others have said. With 100 + lbs to lose, it isnt as noticeable, yet. But the fact that you are starting to see your ankles does confirm that you are infact losing. Perhaps you just aren' t losing in the more "significant" area (i.e, bust, tummy, thighs, and hips). Taking pics would probably be a better way to see a difference. And keep measuring, if you are starting to see your ankles than you are losing inches, just not where you had expected. Good luck. 23 lbs down means that you are doing great. :smile:
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Yeah when I lost 20 pounds, no one believed me either lol. But when I lost this recent 23 pounds people were like OMG YOU LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT! I think it just takes time for people to really see it. They say it'll take 12 weeks or something like that for people to start to notice, especially if they see you all the time.
  • irishroni
    irishroni Posts: 1 Member
    I've lost 35 and no one notices yet - yes, it is very discouraging. I guess we have some much to lose (I have about 70 more to go) that we are just hitting the tip of the iceberg.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    What Chairless said - you are probably burning the fat around your internal organs, which will make a huge difference for our overall health!

The cardio is great, but my suggestion for you is that you add some strength training. Nothing too fancy, just the basic full-body moves like squats, deadlifts, lunges. Start with small weights and work your way up. It makes a massive difference... example... A few months ago I was following a strength-training program and doing no cardio. I only lost a few pounds, but I lost inches all over, especially around my waist and off my back. Then I hurt my knees and had to back off, which derailed me and I got away from going. Gained back most of the pounds and some of the inches. Now here's the rub - I'm back on track diet-wise, but haven't re-started training yet. I've lost more weight this week than I did in the entire time I was training, but my measurements haven't budged.

Time to pick up those weights! :o)
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    You've done a FANTASTIC job! I originally had about 125 pounds to lose, and I honestly didn't notice a difference OR go down any clothing sizes until I hit around 40 pounds lost. It IS discouraging, I know, but STAY WITH IT, and I PROMISE you, it will happen! At this point, I am losing a size with every 10-12 pounds lost...
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    I have lost 30 lbs now....and people also seem shocked when I say that. Not in a "wow! great job" kind of way, but in the same disbelieving way you mentioned. I have another 70 lbs or so to go, and I keep telling myself that I know FOR SURE that when I lose that people WILL notice....haha. Don't give up! When you reach your goal you will remember this 23lb moment and laugh...and think "why did I even worry?"
  • Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

visceralfat.jpg

From places that really matter.

Yes! Yes! yes! Viceral fat goes FIRST! That's the stuff that kills you then then you lose more of stuff we see! you will see some changes eventually but after the visceral fat gets down you will see it just roll off of you on the outside. I've lost 47 pounds and for me (not saying it's you or anyone else) it took 30 for anyone to notice and now I can't keep anything to fit! It's inside out weight loss!
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    I don't think you are alone, so don't get discouraged!! I just hit 25 pounds, and I can still wear some of the same pants as before. People I work with are just now starting to comment. I have at least 20-30 more to go. Also, if you do strength training in addition to your cardio it will help to reshape your body and build muscle, which will burn more calories overall. It takes time but it will be so worth it in the end! Also, I really noticed it when I finally had two pics to compare to each other, like the others said.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Don't get discouraged!!!!! 23 lbs is AWESOME!!!! Don't worry about what other people can tell that you have lost or not lost....you know your body better than anyone else. I would definitely start taking before/during/after pics.. these have helped me more than the scale EVER will. I haven't measured, but I can tell you, I carry "belly fat" and when I went to my quarterly health visit for work/insurance, she told me that I hadn't lost ANY in my belly - even though I had lost 10 lbs & 0.5% body fat. With hard work and consistency, it will all balance out! --I have another visit coming soon & I'm curious to see my results since the last time!!!

Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    post pics, maybe you just can't see it because you're used to looking at yourself every day.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    I am trying not to get discouraged, it's just hard, especially when people don't actually believe you are losing weight.

Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

Who cares what other people believe. Don't let that be an excuse for stopping the positive changes you have made in your life. 23lbs is huge. Be proud of yourself. I agree that it shows in the face first when you have 100+ lbs to lose. Before and after photos will show the difference.

Hang in there!! You are on the right track!!