Anyone done a sponsored slim?

Options
Hi

I am thinking about doing a sponsored slim as I figured that if I cant lose weight for myself maybe I can do it for a cause close to my heart.

Has anyone ever done this before? How did you go about it? When I look on the net they all seem pretty short term but I guess those who sponsor you might not be around in 6 months / a year.....

Would love any advice or stories!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am thinking about doing a sponsored slim as I figured that if I cant lose weight for myself maybe I can do it for a cause close to my heart.

Has anyone ever done this before? How did you go about it? When I look on the net they all seem pretty short term but I guess those who sponsor you might not be around in 6 months / a year.....

What is a sponsored slim please?
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    Where people sponsor you to lose weight and the money goes to charity
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    never heard of that before.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    how does it work ?
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it either. Is it just random people that you know sponsoring you?
  • jesshall281
    Options
    Why dont you run/walk for charity?

Training for it will help you lose weight and you can still raise money?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it before, but like any goal like losing for a wedding or special event, the results don't always stick. If you can't figure out why you want to do it for yourself, then you're just not ready.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I will probably have people go mad at me for this but my two cent is I hate sponsored walks, parachute jumps etc I am all for raising money for charity but please do something worth while and not something self serving maybe a sponsored clean up or sponsored day helping in the community etc. Sorry just what I think
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'll give you $.10 for each lb you lose.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    Wow didn't realise it was so unknown!

Its like you would get sponsors for a sponsored walk, sponsored silence , wearing your clothes backwards for a day only people would sponsor you to lose so much weight in say (for example) the space of 3 months. Maybe sponsor an amount for reaching goal or so much per LB lost. You would ask friends, family, coworkers.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Thanks for the explanations above.

I would question whether or not this would keep you slim in the long run. So you drop 20lbs on a sponsored system. What happens when the money is already donated and you're 20lbs lighter and looking in the fridge?

Just being blunt here -- you need to figure out why you want to get in shape and really come to terms with it.

And if the answer is "I really don't care" then that's fine (really, it is).
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    I will probably have people go mad at me for this but my two cent is I hate sponsored walks, parachute jumps etc I am all for raising money for charity but please do something worth while and not something self serving maybe a sponsored clean up or sponsored day helping in the community etc. Sorry just what I think

No its a fair comment but you would be giving lots up for the cause else people just wouldnt sponsor you lol.

I just did a big physical event for charity and it was a whole day of fun and games and no one thought less of us doing that. The event raised thousands for various charities so can't really see the harm?
  • ElliieMental
    Options

I would question whether or not this would keep you slim in the long run. So you drop 20lbs on a sponsored system. What happens when the money is already donated and you're 20lbs lighter and looking in the fridge?

Just being blunt here -- you need to figure out why you want to get in shape and really come to terms with it.

Well maintenance is another bridge to cross but I'm thinking maybe deep down I self sabotage for whatever reasons, doing it for a selfless reason might be the answer :/

Perhaps not though from the responses I got :laugh:
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I entered a 12 week transformation challenge & that was my plan if I won any cash that I would donate it to a charity ran by a friend of mine. It's a great way to stay committed to your goal. You can do that as well as helping in your community - whatever gets you to move around more.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I haven't. I can see pros and cons to it.

Pro - accountability. You'll stick to the programme because you'll be letting down the charity if you don't.

Con #1 - these things are nearly always done by lose x pounds in weight = x pounds/dollars in money - this inevitably leads to you focusing on trying to lose as much scale weight as you can, which is neither healthy nor sustainable. For healthy, sustainable fat loss you need to take it slow and steady. However when it comes to people sponsoring you, slow and steady = boring and unimpressive. Unfortunately what sells and what gets people to take notice, is big losses in a short time, and big losses in a short time are very unhealthy (as it's not fat you'll be losing but lean body mass). So if you set it up to lose the fat slowly and sustainably you'd possibly lose sponsorship because people will (incorrectly) think that you're not trying hard enough or whatever (unfortunately the general population has a lot of messed up ideas about fat loss). If you set it up where pounds lost = money, then you'll be putting pressure on yourself to lose weight too fast rather than focus on health.

Con #2 - if you mess up for whatever reason you'll have far more guilt to deal with, not just guilt at messing up, but guilt at failing to raise money for charity.

My advice would be to find other ways to raise money for charity - a sponsored walk or run would be a lot better, it would still be contributing to your fat loss goals because it's exercise (plus all the exercise while training for it) and it's healthy and it won't put pressure on you to be unhealthy (provided you follow the right kind of advice for doing and training for long distance runs/walks safely). And then for fat loss, find other ways to stay accountable - this site can help you with that, get some supportive friends, fill out your food diary and keep it so your friends can see it, and post your weekly results on the site.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

Well maintenance is another bridge to cross but I'm thinking maybe deep down I self sabotage for whatever reasons, doing it for a selfless reason might be the answer :/

You would probably know yourself better than I would, so if you think this is what you need to get you to stick to your plan then it's obviously better than not sticking to your plan.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    I haven't. I can see pros and cons to it.

Pro - accountability. You'll stick to the programme because you'll be letting down the charity if you don't.

Con #1 - these things are nearly always done by lose x pounds in weight = x pounds/dollars in money - this inevitably leads to you focusing on trying to lose as much scale weight as you can, which is neither healthy nor sustainable. For healthy, sustainable fat loss you need to take it slow and steady. However when it comes to people sponsoring you, slow and steady = boring and unimpressive. Unfortunately what sells and what gets people to take notice, is big losses in a short time, and big losses in a short time are very unhealthy (as it's not fat you'll be losing but lean body mass). So if you set it up to lose the fat slowly and sustainably you'd possibly lose sponsorship because people will (incorrectly) think that you're not trying hard enough or whatever (unfortunately the general population has a lot of messed up ideas about fat loss). If you set it up where pounds lost = money, then you'll be putting pressure on yourself to lose weight too fast rather than focus on health.

Con #2 - if you mess up for whatever reason you'll have far more guilt to deal with, not just guilt at messing up, but guilt at failing to raise money for charity.

My advice would be to find other ways to raise money for charity - a sponsored walk or run would be a lot better, it would still be contributing to your fat loss goals because it's exercise (plus all the exercise while training for it) and it's healthy and it won't put pressure on you to be unhealthy (provided you follow the right kind of advice for doing and training for long distance runs/walks safely). And then for fat loss, find other ways to stay accountable - this site can help you with that, get some supportive friends, fill out your food diary and keep it so your friends can see it, and post your weekly results on the site.

Thanks for that :smile: I'm still aching from my charity ventures at the weekend which is what made me think of it.
    You have raised some very valid cons though!
  • ElliieMental
    Options

You would probably know yourself better than I would, so if you think this is what you need to get you to stick to your plan then it's obviously better than not sticking to your plan.

Also very true!

Thanks for all the replies - it has given me plenty of things to consider :glasses: :happy:
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Why don't you sign up for a 5K for a few months from now (if you can find one)? That way you will still be doing something for charity, but until then you will have to work your butt off to get ready, and in the process I'm sure lose weight.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    TBH I think that putting that kind of pressure on yourself to shift lbs rather than changing habits and letting the weight follow will mean it'll only last as long as you are being sponsored for.