Does fast food affect how you feel?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
I often see people saying they have digestive problems or feel sluggish after eating junk food. I can't say I have ever experienced this. I don't eat fast food (being vegetarian), but the only food I find makes me feel really grotty after are pasta and white bread, which make me feel sick after one or two bites, so I don't eat them at all. Greasy food doesn't bother me at all! Is it something to do with bad meat? OR are some people just very sensitive to their digestive processes?

Replies

• sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat french fries a couple times a week it never bothered me. Haven't had any since December - now ever the smell of the greasy bag that my daughter brings into the house makes me sick. So, I don't think its the meat, I think its the grease. If you didn't eat it for a while and then tried to eat it, you may feel the same way.
  • fteale
    Options
    When I used to eat french fries a couple times a week it never bothered me. Haven't had any since December - now ever the smell of the greasy bag that my daughter brings into the house makes me sick. So, I don't think its the meat, I think its the grease. If you didn't eat it for a while and then tried to eat it, you may feel the same way.

As I said I don't really eat fast food, I have fries maybe twice a year at most, but I have never found it bothers me when I do.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    OR are some people just very sensitive to their digestive processes?

For me, this is the case. Hypersensitivity to my body in general, and to external stimuli. And I have digestive problems too. If I eat junk food, I feel it the next day. I get pain, discomfort and difficulty focusing. But from what I observe, this is not the norm. Although quite a few people say they get a heavy feeling in their stomach after eating junk food.

I suppose too it depends how you define junk food - I mean processed food with artificial additives. Fries aren't necessarily junk food in my definition.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I often see people saying they have digestive problems or feel sluggish after eating junk food. I can't say I have ever experienced this. I don't eat fast food (being vegetarian), but the only food I find makes me feel really grotty after are pasta and white bread, which make me feel sick after one or two bites, so I don't eat them at all. Greasy food doesn't bother me at all! Is it something to do with bad meat? OR are some people just very sensitive to their digestive processes?

The only time it affected me was when I had my very first taste of a cheese burger from burger king when I was like 15. It gave me diarrhea for like two days, but that's common for people who don't have meat for quite a while.

Other than that fast food affects me in the same way that 'whole foods' affect me.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Fast food does terrible things to me. It makes me sluggish and I just feel gross. And the digestive issues. Ugh. The day after fast food I am useless. By fast food I mean deep fried. There are other things to get at a fast food restuarant that won't have the same effect.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Depends on the food, but yes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    To me it's more a matter of quality. For the same calories, I could eat a cheeseburger at McD's that'll only satisfy me for an hour or two or I could go home and have a nice big chicken salad wrap and be full for hours. I'd much rather pick the chicken salad wrap because having to eat again that afternoon is a waste of calories and money.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Bad and fatty fast food yes...

The grilled chicken select (Mcdonalds) that I got yesterday with no mayo and an extra chicken patty? No...
  • WowingOverWhinging
    Options
    I used to ADORE fast food. I couldn't get enough.

Nowadays, because I've distanced myself from it so much, it actually starts to make me feel a little sick, if not guilty. Grateful for it really. :)

Although, I don't think I'll EVER leave my complicated relationship with chicken. It's just too damn good.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's the abundance of sodium in the fast food that does me in. Even if I keep my calories within my limits on a day with fast food, I will generally gain weight from water retention. I usually don't feel bad after eating it as long as I eat a NORMAL portion. :)
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat fast food, maybe once a week if that, it didn't bother me but now it makes me sick. Except Taco Bell, lol.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Not really.
  • nikkiw283
    Options
    100%. I had my gallbladder removed at 21 though, so anything with too much fat/oil makes me feel yucky.
  • Mbishop7684
    Mbishop7684 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Mine is a digestive system thing.

Fast food completely messes with my digestive system. I never noticed that it did until I started eating healthier and then I realized on the rare occasion when I have a big mac or a breakfast sandwich from McDonald's my body because incredibly bloated, I retain water and weight.

Then again, my body does this after I eat any time of red meat...steak or McDonald's so... take that as you will :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If I eat a lot of food high in sodium, which would include fast food, I feel bloated. But one meal of fast food does not make me feel any different. The only thing that nearly always gives me GI trouble is fatty beef steak. I eat it rarely but it never sticks around long when I do.
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    I think for a lot of people it's the grease of the fried foods.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It has changed for me. I used to be a junk and fast food junkie. Now if I eat it it makes me sick to my stomach. I have also found that ground beef now does the same thing. My husband and I switched to turkey in January, and when I go to a friend's house my parents for a cook out I try to stick with chicken or even hot dogs. For some reason hamburgers really bother me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I believe that most fast food restaurant use some type of flavor enhancer that does not agree with me. I have Crohn's disease, thus an ultra sensitive digestive system. ANYTHING that I eat from Mc Donalds makes my mouth swell and gives me severe belly ache. This even includes their smoothies. The only fast food places that don't seem to bother me at all are Wendy's and Chick-fil-A.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I always have a stomachache after eating fast food. And I just feel crappy because I know that my body didn't benefit from at all. I really don't eat it tho so I don't worry about it too much.
  • fteale
    Options
    Does that include Japanese fried food like tempura?