Need some help....getting discouraged :(

Options
I cant seem to understand why I am not losing weight, I started at 147 when I joined this site and I am down to 137 and have been stuck there for a while! I am 5 ft 3. I need some help... my diary is open......
I have been doing 30 day shred (almost daily) as well as walking, and starting to jog. Should I lose my desired weight first then start to tone??

Can I have any tips?

Sorry Diary is open to public now.... :blushing:

Replies

• Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You diary is not open so I cant take a look at what you have been eating. I would say a 10 pounds loss since June is doing amazing. I am not sure why alot of people think they can instatly drop all the excess weight instantly.

I would say 10 pounds loss in 1-2 months is AMAZING...keep doing what you are doing.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You diary is not open so I cant take a look at what you have been eating. I would say a 10 pounds loss since June is doing amazing. I am not sure why alot of people think they can instatly drop all the excess weight instantly.

I would say 10 pounds loss in 1-2 months is AMAZING...keep doing what you are doing.

Agreed. Also, your diary says it is open only to friends.

I am sure you didn't put an extra 30 pounds on in 2 months so you certainly can't expect to lose it all that fast. My goal was also 30 pounds total and when I averaged it all out, I lost roughly 0.5 lb/week throughout my entire weight loss. If you have already lost 10, then you are cruising right along.

Be patient, be consistent, it will happen!
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    The 30 day shred builds muscle so it could be muscle you should measure inches
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5ft 3in. I started in January 2012 at 155 (size 12/14). Now I'm 132 (size 4/6). I have maintained this 132 for about two months now. I would like to drop 3 more pounds, but I just can't find the right mix of diet and exercise to help me lose the last 3! Completing 30 days of 30 Day Shred and JM Ripped in 30 made a major difference in the way I look and how my clothes fit. I would suggest you stick with 30 Day Shred along with other exercises if your goal is to get healthy while dropping a few pounds.

Feel free to add me as your friend if you need support and/or motivation!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    ur diary is not open.
  • kamkelmac
    Options
    its Open now.... sorry
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eating too little most days... probably severely lacking in vitamins and minerals.

Low protein intake most days (will significantly slow down weight loss).

Need to track sodium.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Define "stuck for a while." If you are doing all that exercise, and it is something new, then it could just be water weight.

I don't know enough to agree with Dana's conclusions, but those are all possibilities to look into.
  • kamkelmac
    Options
    Eating too little most days... probably severely lacking in vitamins and minerals.

Low protein intake most days (will significantly slow down weight loss).

Need to track sodium.

Ok thank you for pointing that out.. should I up my calorie intake? Should my net be 1200 or more? I am new to all this so I need some guidance.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    IMO, I don't think you're eating enough, and your protein is too low as well. Bump up those calories with lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, and whole grains.

Read this, and do it. It works.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Oh, and also, no you don't need to "lose weight first, and then tone"--Lift weights NOW, as heavy as you can, and when your bodyfat melts away, you'll have some nice muscles underneath. Best wishes!! :flowerforyou:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you for pointing that out.. should I up my calorie intake? Should my net be 1200 or more? I am new to all this so I need some guidance.

If you set up MFP as per the recommended settings, the calories assigned to you are what you need to actively lose weight. The deficit is already calculated in. So, you don't need to eat significantly under what they give you. Think of it as your allowance.

Anyone that exercises should get more protein as well. Protein is terrific for you. You might want to go into the goals area and custom set protein to be like 20 to 30 percent of your diet.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    IMO, I don't think you're eating enough, and your protein is too low as well. Bump up those calories with lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, and whole grains.

Read this, and do it. It works.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Oh, and also, no you don't need to "lose weight first, and then tone"--Lift weights NOW, as heavy as you can, and when your bodyfat melts away, you'll have some nice muscles underneath. Best wishes!! :flowerforyou:

This.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar and sodium, try adding more fresh fruits and veggies.
  • mk9562
    mk9562 Posts: 186
    Options
    I tried to tell you that you can't eat under 1200 all the time. If your burning everyday, you need the calories. I went and tried to help,by calculating your BMR to get calories needed to lose weight. However you choose to keep eating under 1200. Which is only going to make you feel like crap and keep you in starvation mode. I mentioned your water and protein. So I hope if everyone else tells you, then you will believe it. :o)
    Good luck!!
  • julesribar
    julesribar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Now I am pretty new to this so take this for what it is worth but your calories are really low. It doesn't look like you eat a whole lot during the week. I had always heard you are suppose to eat your calories that you burned from exercising or at least half of them. Maybe your body is storing food because the calorie intake is so low. Maybe this is causing your metabolism to slow down? I hope someone on this forum can help you out. Good luck!:smile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not enough fresh fruits and veggies! Definitely not enough protein (MFP sets this too low)! Need to eat more! I would try adding things like -

greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    eggs (hard boiled are super easy to grab and go)
    chicken/turkey/fish
    protein powder
    and lot's of fresh fruit and veggies

Remember rest days so your muscles can repair are just as important as workout days. And also, I love 30 day shred, but it's more of a circuit training workout as opposed to strength training with 'heavy' weights. Strength training can be a great plateau buster. Muscles burn calories! You might want to invest in 'new rules of lifting for women' to get some good ideas.

:flowerforyou:
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I gained weight because of health problems. I didn't start to really lose weight until I was cleared by my doctors to start exercising again. I also started working with a nutritionist for two months to understand a little better what food was good and what food was bad. I still contact her for pointers. I'm 5'7" and was 188 pounds. I'm now down to 158. I also get discouraged because I feel that the closer I get to my goal of 140, the harder it is becoming to lose weight. But it's a process of becoming healthy again. Whenever I start to get annoyed, I try to remember the days in the hospital bed. My long term goal is to get to 140 and stay at 140 and be healthy at 140. The first ten pounds I lost just with a change in diet - I had to remove all food items that contained gluten. The second 20 I lost by continuing with better food choices and adding cardio exercises - walking 4 miles 3/4 times a week. I just recently started to work on toning by doing yoga and using resistance bands and some light weights - 5lbs.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    What Dana said. And read that "In place of a road map" thread that was linked above.

You can learn now or suffer for a few more months. Your choice.
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Everyone posting in here is spot on. Eat more, lift weights, and you'll bust through.

Here is an awesome spreadsheet you can use to get your caloric intake correct: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the same thing happened to me last week.... I lost 10 pounds over a month, then... stopped. I was also doing the 30DS. So, I bought heavier dumbbells and started to really watch what I was eating again. Voila! 2 pounds off in 2 days! So, give that a shot, it seems to have worked for a lot of other people too.