Totally in love with food, hate exercise. s new.

Options
Hello,

I am totally new to this kind of thing but here it goes.
As the subject states I love food....all food, which some people might think is awesome. However, when you hate exercise it is problematic for a 21 year old female.
I have joined this site to control my food intake and hopefully begin to enjoy exercise so I can lose some weight.
In the past I have tried to control it myself which does not help me in the slightest as if I want chocolate...well...its hard to stop me when it's only me I'm fighting with!

So here it goes, wish me luck!

Steph :smile:

Replies

• workkoutchick96
    Options
    Welcome! :) feel free to add me!
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

When you say you hate exercise, do you mean perhaps not the right type for you? It can be anything, whether it's a sport, walking the dog, or something as impactive as a gym session.

It just depends on finding something you don't look at as a chore, that's all.

Feel free to add me if you need any kind of motivation, or just a friendly face to chat to. :)
  • MelvanDijk
    MelvanDijk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is the first time I've done this as well and I'm happily surprised to find it's working :-) Feel free to add me.
  • slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    heya, feel free to add, got exactly the same issue. love food, hate exercise (apart from shopping, which i class as a marathon lol ). lets spurr eachother on :-)
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! But it gets easier!! I no longer want to eat ALL of the time...I don't crave sodas or anything fried really...but I do crave unhealthy carbs sometimes! It's still getting easier though....and I don't "love" exercise but it makes me feel good when I notice it's not so hard as it once was and I don't feel like I'm going to fall out on the floor.
  • misfit34
    misfit34 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel ya...exercise is a true test for me. Over time it has gotten more enjoyable. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    hate exercise?? just get a bike and start training for a tri or something--- so much better than exercising.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Best advice- find something active you love to do and want to be better at. It makes working out so much more worth it. For me it was rec league sports, my friends like everything from rock climbing to boxing to hiking.

But find something that gets you up and moving, and then do work outs that supplement that. It makes them much more fulfilling than "gotta get my fat butt on the treadmill".
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! It's all about finding something you actually enjoy when it comes to exercising and remembering that even if it hurts, that just means it's working.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I should note also that MFP is designed that you can lose without any exercise at all. If you stick to your calorie goal, you will lose. When I first started, I used to just go out for a walk, or even march in place, so I could have a little extra wiggle room and eat a little more.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow MFP-er! Feel free to add me! I say everything in moderation.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me too! I found its just the type of exercise that I was doing that I hate. I ran my 5k because I've always wanted to say I can do it, but I still hate running.

swimming and kickboxing are much more my style.
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too. I tried to reframe it in terms that I would understand. Instead of "I have to go to the gym and sweat for an hour so that I can lose weight (a far off goal)" I think "I get to drop the kids off at the nursery, and in exchange for an hour of listening to music on my phone and sweating on a machine, I can take a shower in PEACE (an immediate thing that I hardly ever get)"

Right now my motivation is that I am taking a vacation in 5 weeks that involves a lot of walking, and I need to get in better cardiovascular shape to tackle castle steps.
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day and feel free to add me if you wish. :smile:
  • j_Sparks_01
    j_Sparks_01 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think getting to the gym is the worse and the hardest part. But try a Zumba or a Spin class. I myself love the elliptical glide. Don't over-do the exercise from the beginning. Gradually increase time and/or intensity. I love food too. I think this is a good place to track what you eat. Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,083 Member
    Options
    If you love food, you can eat more of it when you exercise. IJS.
  • VoicedByMJB
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel with the chocolate - I'm 23 and it's nuts to try to control those cravings. Soda is my worst enemy right now! But for chocolate, I actually have a suggestion - you might have seen the commercial for those 90 calorie brownie bars? They're DELICIOUS. And not teeny tiny either, they're good sized! So if you want chocolate, I would invest in those, they totally cut the craving and are so worth it!

Also, feel free to add me if you'd like, we're all in this one together, yeah? :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find something you enjoy doing and immerse yourself in that activity (and keep trying new things...you might surprise yourself). If I'm reading your profile correctly, you're only 20 with 14 lbs to lose (?). Don't wait till your bad habits get away from you because the older and more overweight you become, it just gets harder and harder it is to get a handle on things.

I wish I'd focused more on fitness at that age, because its something I truly enjoy now...
  • LiliamG
    LiliamG Posts: 34
    Options
    For me it has become a challenging exercise because I had never done, but I know what is best for my health .. so you have to do it for love of myself ... good luck and welcome ... feel free to add me ...
  • KayeG79
    KayeG79 Posts: 37
    Options
    Sounds like my life! lol! I hate exercise as well. I mean, I think those that love it, really enjoy it, yeah, I still think there is something wrong with them. lmao!! However, I have been religiously exercising for a few weeks now. It was 4-5 times a week until the last 5 days and it's been every day. I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It's 3 levels and I'm only on level 1. It's an easier level and so far, I really do enjoy it. lol! Now, before you think "OK, there's something wrong with you." it's not so much I really enjoy the actual exercise, it's more the fact that I really enjoy the numbers going down on the scale. That makes all the work worth it. Start out slow. Work your way up. Try different things until you find something you like. If you hate it, you'll never stick to it. Find someone else that likes doing it as well and see if they want to buddy-up! If you have someone to check-in with you have a greater chance of succeeding. Feel free to check out my profile and add me as a friend if you like as well!!