Are you cooking for Thanksgiving

Options
I am doing some of the cooking. Looking for some great ideas to cut back calories and fat and all the other stuff that needs to be limited. I am thinking in place of sweet potatoes with marshmellow-doing sweet potato fries in the oven with garic, parma cheese and rosemary. Salad I am just changing to a fat free without telling anybody. Any other ideas of changing a traditional Thanksgiving to a little less guilty???

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I am doing some of the cooking. Looking for some great ideas to cut back calories and fat and all the other stuff that needs to be limited. I am thinking in place of sweet potatoes with marshmellow-doing sweet potato fries in the oven with garic, parma cheese and rosemary. Salad I am just changing to a fat free without telling anybody. Any other ideas of changing a traditional Thanksgiving to a little less guilty???
  • memeburke
    Options
    Hi icandoit,
    I'm cooking,
    Try butternut squash with nutmeg and a little brown sugar. Also you could use fat free bread for stuffing or low carb bread.
    Rachael Ray had an appititizer she made with a cantelope.She cut it in half and scooped it out and filled it with jello,let it set overnight ,then cut into wedges. I guess you can use any kind of jello you want.
    I think I might try the nutmeg and a little brown sugar with the sweet potato.: Good Luck, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Shirley :
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My mom is in charge of cooking this year but I'll help ofccourse.
    I'm in charge of the dessert.:wink:
  • tdroseler
    Options
    check out the recipe section here...people have added some really great ideas.
  • traumarn
    traumarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i am doing the cooking and looking foward to it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    We are having a early get together this weekend because our family is scattered and it gives everyone a chance to see each other before the weather gets bad. Then for thanksgiving we can make plans to do other things.

So for the real thanksgiving my family makes a much smaller version. We only cook the things we love. This does not mean just deserts lol although my kids would like that. But foods we don't cook any other time of year or things we really enjoy. So each person can request 1 or 2 items and then we don't have to large of a meal.

Just an idea.

Eve