my hair looks awfull!!

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Before going in the pool you can wet your hair and put some conditioner in it. That will help your hair to absorb less of the chlorinated water. Oh, oops, someone already said that.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You'll want to stop dying it. Sometimes those dyes can be really harsh on hair. Are you perming it? That can really dry it out big time! I'd just rinse it (sweat will rinse out) and put a deep conditioner on it if it's that dry. Your hair needs moisture. I'd also look into an organic shampoo that doesn't have sulfates. There are lots of great companies out there now. Sulfates and many of the chemicals that are typical over the counter stuff use the same stuff that's in detergents to wash hair. Imagine what it does to your scalp! Anyway, I've found a good organic shampoo/conditioner is better.
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Depends on your hair type. I have fine hair that's past my shoulders and I typically wash it every day.
    Getting the right products and not over conditioning is super important in this scenario.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what to advise; I'm losing mine...awe the joys of getting older....
  • IngaRobertsdottir
    IngaRobertsdottir Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a great Aloe Vera shampoo every other day, the other days I just wash it with water. It's ALWAYS straight and smooth!
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    :noway: I HAVE to wash my hair everyday, if I don't it's SO greasy! I also HAVE to colour my hair otherwise I've got a grey stripe down the centre!! :laugh: I use shampoo & conditioner for coloured hair. tbh, I'd feel really horrible and dirty if I didn't wash my hair everyday. As far as working out, I do my workout in the morning and then shower and wash my hair.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Switch to the good shampoos from the salon ? Have not used grocery store shampoos in many years. My favorite is Redken. They making something for swimmer's hair too. Ask at the salon.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Go to your beauty supply shop and get a shampoo specifically for swimmers. Use this once a week to help with chlorine if you're swimming a lot. Follow it with a good conditioner. I use nexxus humectress and my hair is soft and manageable.

Most of the time I wash my hair only every other day. So, I was my hair after a regular gym workout, but not in the mornings, not in the evenings, and not, typically, after the pool. I'll use a leave-in conditioner after the pool instead. Then wash my hair on my every-other gym workout days when I get hot and sweaty. This has kept my hair much more manageable, even soft and shiny.

HTH
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to be a swimmer and managed to keep my really long (at the time) hair in good shape. Some other people have already said to rinse and condition before swimming, yes! Also, wear a swim cap. Then, when you get out of the pool, use a chlorine removal shampoo (available at a sports store) on all of your hair, all the way to the ends. Then, use a moisturizing conditioner on your entire head, roots too. If you're prone to an oily scalp, the last step is to put a little shampoo on your hands and rub them together (it'll help distribute the shampoo better) and shampoo and rinse *just* the roots. Like other comments, I would recommend not washing your hair on non-swimming days and pick up a good dry shampoo.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Is it healthy?

You could try clarifying it and/or using a chelating shampoo. You mentioned that you swim, so you'll need a chelating shampoo to get rid of the chlorine.

Longhaircommunity.com is a fantastic source of advice.
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    You should see mine!

LOLLLLLLL :laugh: You are too funny!!!!
  • stephirocks2012
    Options
    I use Aveno. I also take Biotin, it helps with your hair and nails.
  • Brooke1076
    Brooke1076 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have really long hair and I hate sweating so to be honest, starting a workout routine was really anxiety provoking for me because I didn’t want to wash my hair all the time but wanted to get rid of the sweat. My routine might be a little intense but for me, it works:

Workout of Mon-Wed-Fri

After the Mon and Wed workouts in the evening, I come home and spray a cheap but very good smelling dry shampoo in my hair (TRESemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo, about $6), along with an odor neutralizer (TRESemme Fresh Start Refreshing Mist about $6) and then blow dry until the roots are dry. That way I don't have to worry about oiliness OR odor.

On Tuesdays and Fridays (or Saturdays, depends on how lazy I am) I do a full blown shampoo and conditioning. Tuesdays I do the full blown wash in the AM and on Friday I do it in the evening.

On Mon and Wed's mornings, I use a power dry powder shampoo (Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo Powder, has a fresh lemon scent, around $22). That can leave a little bit of a white residue but the oil-sucking-up-power is amazing. Since I have dark hair and there can sometimes be a little visible powder, I spray some additional dry shampoo by Bumble and Bumble (with added brown color, around $35) on top.

Anyway, I think this is a little OCD but so far it's worked with making it so I don’t have to shampoo and condition every day.
  • NoisyVision
    NoisyVision Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When you go swimming, wet your hair in the shower before you get in the pool and apply a conditioner. Don't wah it out. Alternatively wear a swim cap. :-)

If you need to wash your hair everyday only shampoo every other day, use just a conditioner instead if it absolutely needs washing. If you can go without for one day, use a dry shampoo to revive and refresh your hair.

ETA: make sure your shampoo is suitable for your hair type. If you swim a lot your conditioner should be a moisturising one for dry hair. It'll bring back the moisture that the chlorine has taken out! :-)

I agree with this above . If shampooing after the pool try a clarifying shampoo to help get the chlorine out follow with a moisturizing conditioner. Also a leave-in conditioner in addition to the other stuff is good to use on the mid shaft and ends of your hair. I like a spray ... just spritz and comb through.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i only wash my hair once or twice a week.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I wash every other day for the most part, unless I have to do it for some reason. And I use John Frieda Full Repair shampoo and conditioner. It's a little heavy, but my hair straightens SOOOOO nice with it, less frizzy, less breakage... just love it.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    for this healthy journey I chopped my very long hair off! wheww it was scary but I love it! no mess no fuss. =)

yes my hubby loves it =)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I keep my hair short and sometimes if I find it's too much maintenance for my current schedule, I shave my head. In general, I make sure I'm using the right products for my hair. The right shampoo/conditioner combo, stuff meant for hair that is exposed to chlorine and other chemicals that dry out hair and discolor it, etc. General care is key as well. Most places tell you wash your hair every other day to let it have time to "recover", some suggest baby powder or dry shampoo between if you have oily hair, and make sure your ends are trimmed regularly.

If your schedule can handle it, might try once a week getting out some coconut or jojoba oil, warming it, and massaging it into your scalp and hair and let it stay in under a shower cap for about 10-15 minutes and wash it out. It can soften your hair up and both oils are good for it and your scalp.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I wash every other day for the most part, unless I have to do it for some reason. And I use John Frieda Full Repair shampoo and conditioner. It's a little heavy, but my hair straightens SOOOOO nice with it, less frizzy, less breakage... just love it.

When I had longer hair, I used the John Frieda anti-frizz serum with heat resistance before I straightened my hair and it always made my hair so silky soft and kept it from burning or drying out my hair. I swore by that stuff.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day. My ends are so bad, but it is partially my fault from getting it colored so many times. I want to get a lot of it cut, but I'm waiting to use that as one of my rewards.....Maybe for reaching a 30 pound loss. I may get it trimmed before then, but I wont get an actual style my goal. I wish it felt healthier because I really dont want to cut it off. I have always wanted really long hair, but it is so dry even 4 inches up :( Oh well lesson learned with hair color....

I color my own hair, two to three times a year. I never go lighter, so I have no need to buy color with ammonia or bleach. I actually just have two colors I use, dark blond for summer and light brown for winter. lol

Washing: I got my hair cut too short, was talking and my stylist (im a reg) just kept cutting. I asked for 1" off, I got left with 1" in the back, the sides were a bit longer. Anyway, I sweat a lot with my work outs and general cleaning. I wash my hair every two to three days. If I need something in between, I just rinse. I do use dry shampoo on my bang area if needed. But that is rare.
    The way it has grown out, I really like it. Its the first time i have ever had a wash and go, even with perms. I have no chemicals in my hair right now. I literally just wash it, brush it where I want it to go. My gray happens to be where I part my hair, Ive been complements on my highlights... I just smile and thank you. Only you, and I know the truth. :bigsmile: