Question on Pilates

Options
I love Pilates. I just got my DVDs in the mail the other day. I am wondering if someone could help me in deciding if what I have planned will be enough.

I am going to be running about 6 days a week (preparing to run a 1/2 marathon in April). So I will be adding an extra mile every week wtih that.

I'll be doing some extra cardio at the gym (i.e. spin, elliptical, etc.)

Then doing Pilates and Yoga.

I want to lose weight. I also want to get toned, without being seriously bulky. Does this sound like a good place to start, and then ease my way into weights?

Replies

• sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what you're doing sounds like a lot. What about rest days? Your body needs time to repair itself and it sounds as if you're not giving it the time to do that. I am a huge advocate of pilates. I love doing it as it's low impact and is improving my posture and flexibility. But still. Personally, I think you're doing too much. If it was me I'd reduce the running to 4 days a week. But that's just me. If it works for you then go for it but really do listen to your body. It will tell you when it's had enough so it's important that you pay attention to it and give it the rest it needs.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The half marathon isn't until April? I think you could definitely do 4 days of running, then cross train on the other days, maybe do some elliptical on the days you run also, then add some pilates and weights in. If you run too much too soon without adequate strength training, cross training, and stretching, you are going to injure yourself. Remember, the more muscle you build, the more calories you burn and therefore the more toned you will find yourself becoming Mix it up and have fun!
  • sunshine_gem
    Options
    Also, it's pretty impossible for women to get too bulky. We just don't have it in us. Unless you're doing some serious weight lifting which I doubt you will be. Weights are good.
  • SophieW1988
    Options
    In my opinion, that sounds like too much. If I did all of that I would get burned out and probably wouldn't be able to maintain that rigorous workout schedule. Here's what I would do (but remember, this is my advice. Do what works for you ;)

Week:

Day 1 Run
    Day 2 Pilates + weights
    Day 3 Spin
    Day 4 Run/Spin/OR Elliptical
    Day 5 Pilates + weights
    Day 6 Run
    Day 7 REST

Hope this helps. You seem highly motivated and self disciplined so I can only imagine you will do great!

PS Good luck on the 1/2. I did my first 1/2 this past May. I didn't train too much for it, but I did run ~6-7 miles about 3 times per week for about one month before the race.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sundays are my rest days. I always feel like I am never doing enough (even if I have sweated it out and feel it). Maybe I need to plan one mroe rest day?
  • sunshine_gem
    Options
    Yeah, you could try sticking another one in in the middle of the week. See how it goes. We just don't want you to burn yourself out and damage your body by trying to do too much. If that routine works for you then great, go for it. Just make sure you listen to your body not your mind.