seafood/ fish recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    I generally use shrimp for this but you can substitute tilapia, or haddock, or cod...any white fish will do. In a frying pan add a 1/4 cup salsa (what ever hotness you like), 1/4 cup black beans, and lime juice, simmer on low until heated through and add your fish of choice and simmer until it turns opaque and the fish flakes when pulled apart with a fork. Serve over brown rice. The portion is basically a single serve as I too live with a non-fish eater although he admts that this dish looks and smells really good he wont get brave and try a bite.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love salmon - tried rainbow trout last night for supper I was not a fan.

The salmon filet was fresh - i made a marinade for it
    1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
    lemon pepper to taste
    garlic powder to taste
    salt to taste
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    Directions

Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
    In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
    Preheat grill for medium heat.
    Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

I have included the nutritional information as well makes it easier to put into MFP.

Nutritional Information
    Grilled Salmon I
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 318
    Total Fat: 20.1g
    Cholesterol: 56mg
    Sodium: 1092mg
    Total Carbs: 13.2g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
    Protein: 20.5g
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in that if it smells fishy, it ain't fresh. I only eat fresh.

I disagree to a certain extent. Yes, usually if it reeks than the fish is bad, but It depends on the kind of fish. Most salt water fish fresh won't have the fishy smell, but there are some fresh water fish that just stinks even when it still flopping around.

The fishy smell comes from their environment. Most bottom feeder stinks =) like cat fish
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in that if it smells fishy, it ain't fresh. I only eat fresh.

I disagree to a certain extent. Yes, usually if it reeks than the fish is bad, but It depends on the kind of fish. Most salt water fish fresh won't have the fishy smell, but there are some fresh water fish that just stinks even when it still flopping around.

The fishy smell comes from their environment. Most bottom feeder stinks =) like cat fish

yes, bottom feeders will def. smell odd!
    scallops have a chemically odor, but it's because of how they're packaged and shipped. There are no chemicals in it, but because they're tightly packed, it builds up an odor. Rinsing it with ice cold water is your best bet in minimizing odors.
  • steveb516
    Options
    I think scallops are good for you to try. they are not too fishy and are easy to make.
    SB
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Yup, bay scallops are ridiculously easy and can go in a huge variety of dishes from Italian to Chinese.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    tiliapia is a very mild fish as far as fish goes. not to smelly and very yummy. i have perfect pinch lemon and herb season i pretty much "shake and bake" my fillet with and then use to lightly season the others. then i grill it on a george forman till black lines appear.

i wouldn't try to get over it if you don't like it don't eat it you don't want to get sick over it. another option is make dinner like normal and if you have say chicken then make your hubby a fish fillet. and if you can't stomach the smell then have him grill/bake his own fillet. if he really likes fish he will do it. (my hubby loves venison and i can't stomach the smell so he grills himself or prepares a venison dish at least once a week)