Intense Chocolate Cravings!

Options
Hoping to get some input/motivation/tips - Over the past couple of days I have been having really bad chocolate cravings- I eat pretty healthy and work out consistently, so I'm not sure what's triggering it. It's a bit overwhelming - anyone else experience this?

Replies

• chrssyeldridge
    chrssyeldridge Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Would a protien chocolate shake fix your craving?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I have heard that chocolate cravings can mean you need magnesium. I don't know if that has any basis in fact, but it wouldn't hurt to try it, anyway.

Can you eat some chocolate, or will you find it difficult to stop with just a little bit?
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I used to have really bad sweet cravings all the time. When I really started to watch my sugar intake (not including fruits) and cut down on my dairy, the cravings went down. I still have some during my TOM (if it's TMI, my apologies), but not nearly as bad as it used to be. Also, I usually eat a small bowl of cereal at night to alleviate the chocolate craving. I eat cocoa pebbles, but I have heard good things about that cereal Krave too.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Besides caffeine, fat and sugar, chocolate also contains important trace minerals, like magnesium, which may be deficient in women prior to and during their menstrual cycles. Changing hormonal levels prior to and during the menstrual cycle can inspire all kinds of food cravings, and chocolate is one of them. In fact, many women claim to crave nothing else.

Some researchers claim that chocolate cravings in menstruating women may be a cultural phenomenon. Studies have shown that American women are more likely to crave chocolate than women of other nationalities, perhaps because they're concerned about the high levels of sugar and fat in chocolate and therefore consider it an indulgence. Some experts believe that chocolate cravings in menstruating women may be largely psychological, since they feel that premenstrual symptoms give them a socially acceptable reason to eat chocolate, a high fat food.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Would a protien chocolate shake fix your craving?

This always helps me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I have three things I eat to satisfy this,

1. Sugar Free Jello Pudding
    2. Amberlyn Sugar Free/low carb chocolates (sounds horrific, but they are seriously good)
    3. Costco chocolate calcium chews (just don't eat the whole bag)

Of course, a square of dark chocolate every day won't totally derail you, as long as its in your calories
  • RiyaO
    RiyaO Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for all the input ladies.

I had a chocolate protein shake for breakfast and it helped at that time, but right after I had lunch I thought I might go crazy if I didn't have some chocolate. I never heard about the craving around TMO - that could possibly be it, but since I've never had it before hard to tell.
    A friend of mine told me to try eating nuts instead to combat a magnesium deficiency, so we shall see. Glad I brought in a jello cup to work just in case otherwise I might be a terror to be around!
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found an article (couldn't tell you where) that dealt with this. It did say that if you are craving chocolate, you have a magnesium deficiency. It also lists irritability (esp. with PMS) and insomnia as symptoms as well as a pretty long list of other issues. Before i started on MFP, i was taking a magnesium supplement and i really didn't have any cravings for chocolate but that could have been a placebo effect. However, i thought that the true testament was that my hubby said that i wasn't near as crabby before my TOM. Also, if you are not so much into taking supplements, almonds are a pretty good source of magnesium, and they have got to be better for you than chocolate.
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A piece of dark chocolate (not as good as milk but...) and just let it melt in your mouth

any flavor of jello pudding, no sugar added (60 cals) eaten by tiny spoonfuls

Healthy choice or WW fudge bars

popcorn (those 100 cal bags) and sprinkle the top w/ 1 tbs of mini chocolate chips...
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Magnesium deficiency!!
    Take CAL-MAG supplements.It fixed me.
  • sleonardbranson
    Options
    A piece of dark chocolate should help you:) I have one everyday!
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ok, so I have been freaking out for chocolate the last 3 days...REALLY BAD. This post was great timing!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have heard that chocolate cravings can mean you need magnesium. I don't know if that has any basis in fact, but it wouldn't hurt to try it, anyway.

Can you eat some chocolate, or will you find it difficult to stop with just a little bit?

"Cocoa beans are rich in a number of essential minerals, including magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese."
    http://www.cacaoweb.net/nutrition.html
    If you're short on one of those it can explain the cravings.

It also has A, B1, B2, B3, C, E and pantothenic acid
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    A piece of dark chocolate should help you:) I have one everyday!

yep me too or a teaspoon of choc spread after dinner
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a nightly chocolate ritual. We each have a small square of good quality dark chocolate for dessert. It's so intense I wouldn't really need/want more than one square, but it takes care of the cravings and it's a fun thing to look forward too.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cravings? Eat some chocolate...

...not some "chocolate flavored" stuff, but actual chocolate. My current easily accessible favorite is Green & Black's 85%.
  • Emily_fitat30
    Emily_fitat30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Melting chocolate can make it go alot furthur, also can then be put with healthy things like strawberries :)
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a couple of pieces of dark chocolate candies (Dove, Bliss) in the freezer. That way when I have a craving, I just pop one in my mouth. I can't chew it fast so by the time its melted, my craving is gone.

Besides, studies are showing that the darker chocolates are good for you. That and red wine... I'm good with that! :)
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Just reading those words gave me a chocolate craving.

I take a o'henry bar on hikes. It's less than 300 calories.

Or if I don't have may calories left I have a sugar free hot chocolate. The hot drink satisfy's my cravings for just a few calories.
  • spray001
    spray001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know a good, low calorie fix for chocolate cravings. I drink a Nestle's fat free hot chocolate double serving for 40 calories.