What Has Worked For You?!

Options
Tell me your ways! What worked, what hasn't!

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What didn't work:
    Lowering my calories significantly to less than 1300 a day while doing lots and lots of cardio with a severely reduced protein intake.

What has worked:
    Upping my calories to receive proper daily nutrition while still eating fewer than I burn and adjusting protein intake to a healthy level.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me:
    Eating the same food as I normally do, and just being more aware of my portion sizes. Eating slowly so I can feel that I'm full, and don't go back for seconds and thirds.
    Making more food from scratch, so I have more control when it comes to the ingredients.
    Eating snacks and sweets ONLY on saturdays!
    Making sure that I eat healthy (that I get protein, iron, vitamins, calcium) so I'm not tired. I'm full of energy!
    Working out to Youtube videoes, mainly Jillian Michaels.

What has not worked:
    Cutting carbs to a minimun. I love pasta, rice, potatoes, and bread. If I can't eat that for the rest of my life I'd be grumpy. So I'm keeping that, just watching the portions, and picking the whole grain/whole wheat alternatives.
    Barely eating - makes me tired, and not in the mood for exercise.
  • warpedlogic
    Options
    What did work:

Realizing that a diet is what we eat and to lose weight is a lifestyle change. Adding important tools to my weight-loss toolbox so I don't bounce back up to the weight that I lost ever again. Incorporating exercise into my life.
  • nomadlady7
    nomadlady7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Upping protein intake and trying to meet daily requirements of nutrients worked. Just consuming the proper number of calories (1200)with disregard to nutrition did not work.

Upping exercise worked. Crosstraining worked, by being able to do back-to-back hard workouts using different muscles.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Setting my calorie goal for TDEE-20% and not labeling any food as "bad" or against the rules. I eat whatever I want, as long as it fits in my goal. Of course, I try to make mostly healthy choices, but I'm not going to swear off sugar, chocolate, carbs, etc.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Not: Low carbs, cardio only for excercise (hate how I look and feel), controlling calories without thought as to what the calories come from.

What has: Strength training combined with a healthy diet. 30-40% protein in my diet, around 50g of fiber per day (from real food, and mainly fruits and veggies), 25-30% fat in my diet, and most of my carbohydrates coming from raw fruits and whole veggies.

When I'm eating nothing but lean meats and proteins, fruits and veggies, and some fats (usually a couple servings of peanut butter set my macros back on track if need be), my body really "self regulates". I can eat until i'm full, pig out (on these foods) when I feel the need to, and the "equilibrium" for my body is around 10-12% body fat (granted, 3x per week strength training and 3-4 days of 30 min cardio is included in this). I couldn't care less what I weigh, as I'm not taking any illegal or legal suppliments other than the protein powders, and I have no real ability to get overly large doing it this way.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Has: reduced calories (1,200) with eating back all (or sometimes more if hungry) exercise. Not overly stressing everything is spot on and clean.

Not: don't know yet long term as above is first attempt but eating out at restaurants (big meals) impacts for few days (prob salt).
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What did not work- deciding I had too much sugar in my diet and cutting down to 1 serving of fruit a day. I did not lose any weight or get any leaner and I was a scary crabby. Now I eat between 3-4 servings per day.

What else did not work- eating tons of broccoli and carrots. It may be a health food, but it made me super bloated and uncomfortable and I swear some days I looked four months pregnant. I quit eating broccoli and now eat asparagus, squash, zucchini, celery, spinach and cucumbers and feel much better.

What did work- forcing myself to have vegetables with every meal/snack, eating fruit whenever I wanted (I was so grateful to eat that apple guilt free it didn't even occur to me to want chips or candy), giving up bread completely, and cutting back quite a bit on cereal (this is not an evil carb thing, these are just two high calorie foods I was eating excessively).

For exercise, short little workouts keep me on track. If I know I have to do something for 30+ minutes, I won't do it (and my job, commute, and baby leave me little extra time anyways). So, I do around 15 min of short, intense cardio (like sprints) a few times a week, and some body weight exercises (like squats, lunges, pushups, pullups) and a few things like deadlifts and kettlebell workouts. This is not as good as it could be- I do not exercise with the intensity and consistency needed to make a big difference, but even something is better than nothing right?
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    What worked: basically eliminating all grains (this was more a health decision than a weight loss one); finding some workouts that I can do at home; finding a wonderful on-line support group; a diet consisting primarily of fruit, veggies, lean meat, dairy (mostly through yogurt) and healthy fats with very little processed food

What didn't: "packaged" programs; joining a gym; a diet rich in whole grains, veggies and lean meat; cutting out dairy
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I create a calorie deficit.
    I eat lots of protein.
    I lift weights.
    I rest.

Then I do it again.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What worked: eating clean, trying to cut back on processed junk worked wonders on me feeling better. I have more energy for workouts, even though I'm on a low-cal diet (also working). I eat cocoa roasted almonds for protein if I'm lacking that day. super yummy, and it gets rid of any chocolate cravings! also the 30 day shred is doing miracles for losing inches and toning problem areas (bum, tummy pooch, back fat)

What didn't work: Personally, i completely and utterly failed at sticking with diets and workout routines at first. going to my group fitness class was a no-go, because I felt like it was sometimes more of a social thing than a fitness thing. At home, I can get right to business :) And it was extremely hard for me to grasp limiting what I ate at first, so when I tried the Atkins diet I lasted for 2 weeks before I went binge crazy. Honestly though, nothing really didn't "work" for me, I just couldn't find the motivation to stick with it at first.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    there are no tricks, just consistency.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    What worked:

Logging every bite all day long so I learned what things were way more calories than I thought and what were less.
    Portion control
    Slightly more protein, shooting for carbs under 50% - almost all from fruit/whole grains. Keeps me full and happy all the time.

PERSISTENCE!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Eating MUCH higher protein.

Eating not a low carb, but a lowER carb, with my carbs coming from non junk food sources

Jillian Michaels, although I'm not sure I like her much.
  • RunningWithoutAWatch
    Options
    Portion Control. Eating fresh fruit and vegetables as my snacks all day. Cooking my own meals. If I had a slip up, not letting it affect the next day. Also, i started Running Without a Watch. I stopped focusing on how fast or how far I was running and just got out there.

Jay

http://www.runningwithoutawatch.com/