Spot reducing...

Options
Just read the post of the woman who said she can spot reduce, but did this by doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day shred...but that's not a spot reducing workout is it? Because if you want abs, and the fat off of your abs, don't you have to do crunches to build muscle as well as cardio to work the fat off? Which is why there is more cardio in the 30DS than there is ab work? Just wondering, because I'm doing 30DS and I don't want to spot reduce, I want to get my whole body toned/fit.

Replies

• Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just reduce your body fat so that your muscles show through :) Sometimes the bits of fat that come off first are where we want them to be, sometimes they're not - hope you get lucky!! :-D
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So 30 Day Shred isn't a spot reducing workout? this workout IS the right way to get things such as abs, by doing circuit training?
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just started level 2 of 30 DS and EVERYTHING is getting smaller and toning up. It's amazing!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You couldn't spot reduce if you wanted to. I'm doing the 30DS precisely because it's a good full-body workout. I'm only a week into it so I haven't seen any significant changes yet, other than it's getting easier to do.

I think people think they're spot reducing because they're focusing on a certain problem area. When they lose weight all over, they see it mostly in that one area they are focused on and think they've managed to spot reduce.

Work on strengthening the muscles and when the fat goes, they'll be waiting underneath.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Did you read the whole spot reduce thread? It was one woman claiming she could spot reduce, then 400 replies explaining that you can not spot reduce. There is no spot reduction, period. Doing ANY kind of exercise burns calories and helps you develop or extend a calorie deficit. That's what burns fat. Period. You could use a shake weight for 2 hours a day and it will eventually make your stomach flat, as dumb as that sounds.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    So 30 Day Shred isn't a spot reducing workout? this workout IS the right way to get things such as abs, by doing circuit training?
    The #1 thing that will get you abs is eating clean, the #2 thing is losing the body fat that covers them which circuit training will help you do, although it isn't the only option by any stretch.

But to answer your question, yes the 30 Day Shred or any similar thing can't hurt. Personally I ditched circuit training and I've started doing Pilates & yoga again since seeing Miley Cyrus' insanely nice abs. I get my cardio from running, which surprisingly doesn't bother my knees. Jillian Michaels DVDs gave me knee pain within a week. :(
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce
  • Acg67
    Options
    The #1 thing that will get you abs is eating clean, the #2 thing is losing the body fat that covers them which circuit training will help you do, although it isn't the only option by any stretch.

But to answer your question, yes the 30 Day Shred or any similar thing can't hurt. Personally I ditched circuit training and I've started doing Pilates & yoga again since seeing Miley Cyrus' insanely nice abs. I get my cardio from running, which surprisingly doesn't bother my knees. Jillian Michaels DVDs gave me knee pain within a week. :(

Pretty sure a consistent caloric deficit is the #1 thing that will "get you abs" regardless of the names of the foods you eat to create that deficit
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    couple sets of Abs up in here that know what they are talkin bout.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Our bodies lose fat when and where they want to.

You don't need to eat clean to get visible abs.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as a spot reducing workout.
  • ckay220
    Options
    To everyone that said, you cannot spot reduce, I 100% already knew that. What I'm asking is-Is the 30 Day Shred and things like it the correct way to tone your body as well as acquiring abs? By building your muscle through strength training and doing more cardio than strength training, is this the correct way to get abs? By combining cardio with strength training but doing more cardio than strength training?
  • ckay220
    Options
    You couldn't spot reduce if you wanted to. I'm doing the 30DS precisely because it's a good full-body workout. I'm only a week into it so I haven't seen any significant changes yet, other than it's getting easier to do.

I think people think they're spot reducing because they're focusing on a certain problem area. When they lose weight all over, they see it mostly in that one area they are focused on and think they've managed to spot reduce.

Work on strengthening the muscles and when the fat goes, they'll be waiting underneath.
    So are you saying I should be doing more strength training than cardio?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options

So are you saying I should be doing more strength training than cardio?

You have 60 pounds to lose. It's gonna be a while before you see your abs. Keep doing 30DS. You won't get a six pack anytime soon.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    To everyone that said, you cannot spot reduce, I 100% already knew that. What I'm asking is-Is the 30 Day Shred and things like it the correct way to tone your body as well as acquiring abs? By building your muscle through strength training and doing more cardio than strength training, is this the correct way to get abs? By combining cardio with strength training but doing more cardio than strength training?

The correct way to get abs is to lose the fat until the abs become visible. There are plenty of people with 6packs that have never done any exercise in their lives.
  • Acg67
    Options

If you knew spot reducing was a 100% untrue, why did you create an entire post worrying about if 30DS was a spot reducing workout or not? Confuzzled
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You already have abs. If you'd like to see more definition, you need to reduce body fat. There's no magic workout that will give you this, just make sure you're eating at a calorie defect. If you do strength training, you may appear firmer but you need to get rid of the fat first.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    It seems I read on here once that one cannot spot reduce

/s/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Just reduce your body fat so that your muscles show through :) Sometimes the bits of fat that come off first are where we want them to be, sometimes they're not - hope you get lucky!! :-D

^^^THIS!!!!

I'm not that lucky. But, I am more fit than I have been in 25+ years.