settle a dispute?

Options

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'd say they're exactly the same. How could they possibly be different?
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Lol fried eggs and scrambled eggs are the exact same amount of calories. People hear the word "fried" and assume the worst. But scrambled eggs are basically 'fried' eggs too, they're both pan fried. You just scrambled them first lol. That's the only difference is that you're combining the yolks with the whites in the pan first. If anything, I feel I probably consume slightly less calories with fried eggs because so much of the yolk leaks out all over the plate and I usually leave most of it untouched.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    She possibly is thinking that fried eggs are higher because usually those are the ones made with oil or butter. Typically scrambled is made with PAM or other cooking spray.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think with scrambled eggs you end up eating more of whatever fat you cook them in as it gtes stirred into the resulting eggs. With fried you dont eat the leftover oil in the pan. In fact I would use oil spray for fried eggs so just a few added cals - whereas decent scrambled eggs need a fair amount of butter imo.
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think you could argue that the scrambled eggs have more calories because the oil generally would get incorporated into the eggs as you scramble. Fried eggs on the other hand will leave some of the oil in the pan. As pointed out, it's pretty much negligible. No one is going to lose or gain weight based on the difference between one cooking method or the other.

Oh and for the record, I prefer bacon drippings. Mmm bacon...

^ this, especially the bacon part....
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    I'd have to say the calories are the same. But I know a lady who says toasted bread has less calories than untoasted bread. SMH...
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Looks like I like to cook mine different to everyone else so far!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you are consuming exactly the same ingredients, it doesn't matter how you prepare them. You could knock back the oil from a shot glass, and chase it with the egg raw, and it would still have the same calories.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    According to MFP and a couple other calorie trackers a scrambled egg has about 10 calories more than a fried egg. This might be because the yolk is more cooked in a scrambled egg.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    Assuming no change in amount of oil, they're the same.

Newton's 2nd Law > your wife. ;)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If they are both cooked in oil they are both fried - although one is scrambled and fried and the other is left whole and fried. Duh.:huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They would be the same calories, if you are using the same amount of oil in both. The fried may have slightly less calories if there is more oil left in the pan than got scrambled into the scrambled eggs, but I imagine it would be a very slight difference.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you are consuming exactly the same ingredients, it doesn't matter how you prepare them. You could knock back the oil from a shot glass, and chase it with the egg raw, and it would still have the same caloires.

This sounds delicious.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I figure it doesn't matter. The amount of calories you should be burning while cooking said eggs, should be equal to the calories in the eggs.

I dance a lot when I cook.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    two eggs is two eggs is two eggs....assuming you're using the same amount of oil to make them both. Now, boiling or poaching would be different...no oil.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    OT, but the thought of olive oil in my eggs makes me gag. I use butter or bacon drippings.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    OT, but the thought of olive oil in my eggs makes me gag. I use butter or bacon drippings.

*grin* I hear that a LOT from people - but I like the taste of it.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure she is wrong! That's funny though

I am pretty sure she is right, regardless of the facts.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Well, a cup is eight ounces, in case you have that argument sometime soon - now you won't have to Google it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Well, a cup is eight ounces, in case you have that argument sometime soon - now you won't have to Google it.

Well, a cup of liquid is eight fluid ounces. But a cup of anything, liquid or dry could weigh much more or less than eight ounces. :wink: