Loads of calories left, what to eat?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    you aren't getting it. Think of protein as a minimum. Eat as much as you can.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue last night. I dumped a container of plain Greek yogurt in a bowl. Added a half cup of blackberries and a tsp of honey. Awesome! That would easily put you over your protein goal, but as others have already said that is a good thing.

My favorite topping was always walnuts and honey...yum!
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sounds like you aren't eating enough throughout the day if you have 850 to spare.

have eaten 1148 of calories today. However I have gained 500 calories in exercise. I guess I am going to have to try and snack through the day or eat bigger breakfast or lunches
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    I am not very hungry but I am worried that by not eating more I am going under the recommended 1200 calories per day. Can I save some calories for when I go to the pub tomorrow?
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Go over in protein. It isn't a bad thing
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    What have you done to burn 500 cals today? How did you estimate it?
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    oops, make your food diary public, so we can SEE.
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt think about it that hard...hell, eat whatever you want, as long as its only 850 calories lol...dont stress having too many calories left over especially if your pubbing tommorow.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would have said pasta and cheese, but even cheese has protein in it :P
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am not very hungry but I am worried that by not eating more I am going under the recommended 1200 calories per day. Can I save some calories for when I go to the pub tomorrow?

If you're not hungry then don't eat. If you decide to eat do low carb/high protein like everyone else here has suggested. You can't go wrong with that! I go over my protein every day and I'm losing, so don't fret about that :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I would eat a glazed donut the size of my head. Honestly.

This! !!!!!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would eat half of that.
    You can go over in protein.. I set mine for much more.
  • rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options

figure out what your BMR is, make sure you eat at least your BMR, anything above that you can bank for the pub as long as your weekly overall evens out to your goal you're good.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Eggs are loaded with protein!!

So is peanut butter

so is chicken

I want to eat something protein free as I have already eaten my protein allowance.

1 - MFP is set ridiculously low for protein, like the other posters have said, is absolutely OK to go over!

2 - How the heck did you wind up with so many calories left at the end of the day?!?! Why does this never happen to me!

3 - Peanut butter, nuts, avocados, cheeses...all calorie heavy. And one tablespoon of olive oil is 119 calories. But I would double check your calculations first to make sure you haven't under estimated your calorie intake or overestimated calories burned before you dive into the 852 cals.
  • lisamerrison
    Options

Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace 23 minutes 146 cals
    Elliptical Trainer 5mins 74 cals
    Stationary bike, moderate effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 10mins 117cals
    Swimming, breaststroke, general 15minutes 251 calories

Used mfp Exercise Tool
  • swatson14102
    Options
    I reset MFP values to be inline with my lifestyle goals (paleo/4HB mix). So my carbs are always set to less than 100g and protein/fats are much higher than recommended. I wish this websites defaults weren't so wacky or gave you presets depending on what lifestyle you were choosing.
  • hellou76
    hellou76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Like others have said the protein count that MFP sets is very very very low. Some professionals recommend eating 1g of protein per KG of body weight, take a look at this...http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410520,00.html.

If you open your food diary people can will be able to give you better advice, I was very worried about doing this at first because I thought people would judge me or I wouldn't be so honest with myself but it turned out that I got some great advice from my MFP friends.

Are you eating any snacks throughout the day? How many calories do you eat on average per meal? Don't worry about not eating all your exercise calories every time, just make sure you eat some of them most of the time.

If you are eating sandwiches or salads, you could try adding some dressings or good fats such as olive oil, that soon adds the calories up, so do nuts and they are full of essentail nutrients, I stopped buying low fat foods and now use butter and full fat greek yogurt, they are whole foods and probably processed better by the body than overly processed low fat foods. My favourite snack is oatcakes with peanut butter and believe me they add to my daily calorie count very easily. Oh and dark chocolate.

Why not have a look at some of your successful MFP friends food diaries and see how they do it, some of the folks around here are very knowledgeable I use them all the time.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace 23 minutes 146 cals
    Elliptical Trainer 5mins 74 cals
    Stationary bike, moderate effort (bicycling, cycling, biking) 10mins 117cals
    Swimming, breaststroke, general 15minutes 251 calories

Used mfp Exercise Tool

I weight 270 pounds.
    There is NO way you burned 74 calories in 5 minutes, or 251 calories in 15 minutes in the pool. I generally burn about 350 for an hour of swimming vigorously. I'd half all of those calories.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would eat a glazed donut the size of my head. Honestly.

This! !!!!!

mmmmm
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Avocado, tomato and cucumber salad with a splash of oil and vinegar. Yum.