TEA

Options
13»

Replies

• pleasinglypretty
    Options
    I LOVE teas! I always have a huge variety on hand. The Numi Variety Box is really cool... 18 pouches of all different teas - green, black & herbal. Some of my favorites: Gunpowder Green, Sencha, Rooibos, Honeybush, Magnolia Pu-erh... :drinker:

And, with "standard" green teas, I usually do what I call a "bag rinse", where I pour about 1/2 cup of hot water over it, dump that out, then fill the cup with water to steep.

wow i've never heard of this bag rinse method. interesting. :O :)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    LOVE tea! I drink tons of all kinds but my favorite lately has been guayusa (pronounced why-you-sa) that is a "tea" made from a holly plant from the amazon (so its not from a tea plant..more like an herbal tea I guess) and its amazing. I had it years ago in Ecuador and recently found it available from a company called Runa. It has more antioxidants and caffeine than green tea.

I also love this stuff which is picked by MONKEYS! (Its not harmful to them in any way) I used to buy it from thinkgeek.com but they don't have it anymore :( Here's the link from the company though that explains it if you're curious: http://www.edible-shop.com/shop/herbivore/monkey picked tea/ It is TOTALLY worth the money
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    I love tea, and we drink it a lot here. Almost any kind is good. Someone gave me a box of Tazo white tea with cucumber and I didn't think I'd like it but it's great iced - very refreshing on a hot day! I also like iced mint tea in the summer, and a mix of mint and chamomile to relax before bedtime.

For green tea, I haven't found any bags that I really like, but I love looseleaf green tea - like someone else already said, you really can't steep it long or it gets bitter. If you have an Asian grocery store, look for a looseleaf green made in Taiwan - so yummy!

One of my best tea ever votes is Republic of Tea's Matte Latte - add just a tad of milk and it's really incredible!
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options

wow! i never knew you had to be so specific when making the tea :0 i got a generic green tea once from the grocery store and i just boiled the water and threw it in, let it sit for 5 mins... no wonder i didn't like it!

i've always wanted to try chamomile. & passionflower sounds just delicious. i love anything with the words passion, fruit, peach, mango, pomagranate.... if anything is in it, it's for me lol

& i am getting stressed a lot more easily... i'm starting college next month! so nerve racking. but anyways. :)

thank you for this!!! <3

Hey no problem! You don't necessarily have to be too fussy, but especially if the tea is coming out harsh bitter, shorter steep times and slightly below boiling temp water will help a lot. Just play around and see what works for you!

And hey good luck with starting college! That's such an exciting time even if it is a bit stressful :)
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    LOVE tea! I drink tons of all kinds but my favorite lately has been guayusa (pronounced why-you-sa) that is a "tea" made from a holly plant from the amazon (so its not from a tea plant..more like an herbal tea I guess) and its amazing. I had it years ago in Ecuador and recently found it available from a company called Runa. It has more antioxidants and caffeine than green tea.

I also love this stuff which is picked by MONKEYS! (Its not harmful to them in any way) I used to buy it from thinkgeek.com but they don't have it anymore :( Here's the link from the company though that explains it if you're curious: http://www.edible-shop.com/shop/herbivore/monkey picked tea/ It is TOTALLY worth the money

I can't believe you've had guayusa! :D I always smuggle lots of it back with me to the US when I go to Ecaudor :))). SO GOOD! Totally saved my life during finals last quarter! I only know like three people who've even heard of it that aren't from Ecuador... WAY to be! :)

Ps TEA FOR LIFE. Best thing evarrr.
  • rachel_mouse
    Options
    All I have to add here is:

BUBBLE TEAAAA!!

I just bought some pearl tapioca from an asian supermarket online and some milk tea. YESSSS!!!!!!!

It came with 30 free giant straws, too. lol.

I love iced chai, coco chai, chamomile w/ fruit, earl grey w/ lavender.... mmm anything, really! Just ordered some peppermint tea!
  • rachel_mouse
    Options
    Oh, and, for anyone who is into loose teas (which is pretty much all I drink)... buy the IngenuiTea teapot. It steeps the tea in the container and you just set it on top of your mug and it drains the tea into your mug, catching the herbs in a strainer at the bottom.

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    I love teavana because you can mix the different teas together. Like you can get a plain green tea and mix it with a fruity flavor and get the benefits of both! They have such a great selection as well! Which reminds me i need to get some this weekend!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Any chai blend from http://www.teachaite.com/

I've started making pitchers of hibiscus tea, nice unsweetened but a little tart without sugar.

And jasmine green tea with milk and boba.

I am getting thirsty...
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tea.

I mostly shop at David's Tea (www.davidstea.com), and have probably 30-40 different varieties.

I love several of the David's Tea blends as dessert "replacements" - Read My Lips, Mint Chocolate Rooibos, Chocolate Cake, and many other blends are sweet and taste like dessert without the calories.

I use Tropicalia, Bamboozled, and Cranberry Pear to make awesome iced teas during hot weather, and Cream of Earl Grey and Saigon Chai are just right for the cold, rainy days we get here in BC.