best way to start running?

Options
i want to be a runner, how do i get started!!

Replies

• StarIsMoving
    Options
    I recommend the C25K program (Couch 2 5K). It's an app for phone or IPod... wonderful tool for a beginner
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    Downloaded!

Thanks for this recommendation - definitely going to have a look at this app tonight and try it out :)

I <3 this site!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Another C25K-er here!

Started the program in june and I am now up to running 25 minutes or 2.5 miles at a time.. before I could barely run for 6 minutes straight.. let alone 25!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I also vote for C25K - excellent program to get started running. Gradually works you up into being a runner.
  • stefnylynn
    stefnylynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd just take it slow in the beginning and try not to get too frustrated if you're not improving as quickly as you'd like to. My best advice would be to keep track of every run, in as much detail as you can--how many miles, average pace, how much you walked, how long it took, etc. That way, even when a few weeks in you think you had a miserable run, you can look back at day one and see how much you've actually improved.
  • determined136
    Options
    Honestly.... One foot in front of the other .... and do a little more everyday. I know that sounds stupid and simple. When I startes I litterally ran around the block. Gradually I increased it to two blocks and then 3...then a mile, then 2. Once you start to get some distance behind you start working on upping your pace. It takes time and don't get discouraged...enjoy the process.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what is your current fitness level? how long can you jog for now?

C25k has helped some people, but me personally, i just went out there and did it. i started on my bike, just riding around, losing some weight, and building my cardio strength/endurance. then one day it was raining, and i didn't want to ride in the rain. so i went for a run. i ran for the first time in years. i think i did two miles in 30 minutes. but i started running.

so just go out there, and put one foot in front of the other. you don't need fancy apps, or a perfect running playlist, or brand new running shoes and sweat wicking clothes. you don't need fancy water bottles and a top of the line heart rate monitor. you just need to want to go out there.

every time you run, just try and be a little better then you were last time. you'll do great.
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    I will add a vote for C25K :)
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I recommend the C25K program (Couch 2 5K). It's an app for phone or IPod... wonderful tool for a beginner

^This! I never did it (I have been running for as long as I can remember) but I hear great things about it! And when I looked at the program it makes sense to me. Start slow and get a GOOD pair of shoes!
  • Susdewald
    Options
    Me too! I'm by no means a professional runner, but I'm up to 2 miles without taking a break and dying. Here's how I started...
    I tried the Couch to 5K program and did really great the first couple of weeks, then I go to the 3rd week and felt defeated, exhausted and hated it! Left me feeling like I would never be a runner. I tried this 2 seperate times with the same results. :(
    Then I tried something different - I walked at a brisk pace for about 30 minutes to warm up, and would jog at a pace I felt comfortable with for 2 minutes. Then, I would walk for 2 minutes. I would do this interval (2 min jog - 2 min walk) for the next 30 minutes. I used a stop watch and looked like a total nerd, but it worked for me. I decreased my warm up time and increased my interval time as I felt I could. Then - I got in my head - so I threw away the stop watch, put on some tunes, walked to warm up and then jogged for as long as I could. I would recover and again jog for as long as I could. I would then get in my car and drive my workout - to see how far I was going. I realized I could jog a half a mile, then up to a mile and now I'm up to 2 miles. Slow and steady and not in my head works great for me. I'm still longing for that runner's high I keep hearing about...I want that! My goal is to run a 5K in October.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I started couch to 5k and hated it! A lot of people really like it, but I just didn't. I just increased my running time each time. I would make mini goals during my run. I'd tell myself, run to that tree, then walk to that driveway, then run to that.... and so on and so forth. Worked! I'm not a huge runner, but I can go about 3 miles at a time now.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Get a good pair of comfortable running shoes. I recommend being fitted for a pair after a gait analysis.
    Start a program. Couch to 5k is a good one.
    Have fun, vary your terrain and be consistent! Good luck!
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Couch 2 5k!
    Amazing stuff, yo.(:
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    Yes, the shoes are soooo important!

Get a good pair of comfortable running shoes. I recommend being fitted for a pair after a gait analysis.
    Start a program. Couch to 5k is a good one.
    Have fun, vary your terrain and be consistent! Good luck!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I also vote C25K, but I warn you, take it slow! I had enought stamina to do C25K easily, but my knees were not able to keep up. I ended up with 'runners knee' and was out of commission for 2 weeks. Just take it easy, get good running shoes, stretch, and ice your knees after running...just in case!
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    C25k is also how I got started, and would highly recommend it. :happy: :happy: Good luck!
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Start little by little. I used to do an hour of elliptical. Then I'd run for 15 minutes, do 45 minutes of elliptical. Run for 30 minutes slow, do 30 minutes of elliptical. Then once I was able to run 3 miles straight, I bumped up my time little by little. I was struggling to run a 12 minute mile, and now I can run 5 miles in under 50 minutes.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I too, wanted to be a runner...it just sounds cooler than sweating my butt off on the eliptical, right? "What do you do?" And being able to reply- Oh, I run... LOL...kidding aside...I went out, bought shoes and thought it was as easy as literally just starting to run...NOT!!! I hated every second of running....every.single.second!

I found the C25K app for my phone...and slowly I started learning to run....still hated it...but did it....my knees dont always cooperate, but I can say FINALLY...I LOVE TO RUN!!! I get so excited on my running days, and I definitely owe a lot of that to C25K!! Even signed up for my first 5k on Labor Day this year.... :bigsmile:
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Rob a bank.