What is making you successful?

Options
A lot of us focus solely on a number that is displayed on a scale but I think a lot of people are successful without ever even thinking about that. What is your motivation and what are the benchmarks you have reached to feel successful with your lifestyle change?

Our success can be driven in a variety of ways: tools (exercises you love, diets you love, etc.), life-changing events, family circumstances, etc.

Let's hear them!

Replies

• jkeeling39
    Options
    Mine are a few different things:

1) I've tried exercise regimes before but have seen very little benefit. MFP was that missing element of owning my nutrition and tracking where I was. I would not be successful without it.
    2) I think we've all had those "mirror moments" where we look at our self and all of a sudden we are just over our fitness level. Mine came about 8 months ago and I have been trying to fix that "mirror moment" since then. I'm getting close.
    3) Another was getting married and thinking about starting a family (we're expecting our first now). I want to be an active participant in my life. I don't want to think "I can't do that. I'm out of shape." I've been there, it's not a happy place. I also want to be around for as long as possible for my kids.
    4) I want to be able to pick up and just do something physical without any worries. If my friends want to play an impromptu basketball game I want to be able to jump in. I love being able to look at my wife on Sunday and say "let's run up to the mountains and hike for a few hours."
    5) I want to be able to run a 10k. I did my first 5k this last weekend but I want to keep going with my training.

I'm sure there's more but this is a start.
  • KristinAlys
    KristinAlys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lot of things have helped me.
    I think my first step was getting the supporting I needed. My parents love me the way I am, but they encouraged me to get healthy after living on my own for the past 3 years and generally eating whatever I wanted. Now I live with my sister, who is also doing her own lifestyle change and we support each other everyday! Before we decided to change we would encourage each other the eat badly because that's how we liked to spend time with each other.
    So here are some other things that are helping me not lose sight:

- I use MFP and Sparkpeople to track calories.
    -I bought myself a nice big lunch bag to carry around all my food for the day.
    -I have a good set of tupperware containers and I several waterbottles varying in size (always a few filled up in the fridge so I can grab on and go).
    -I go to costco maybe twice a month (I only buy food for myself!) and stock up whatever health foods I can buy in bulk.
    -I have a personal trainer that I see once a week.
    -I joined my local roller derby team and have been getting ready for fresh-meat training by hitting up the rink twice a week. The roller rink is a fun and great work out!
    -I have a lot of free time on the weekends so I cook my weeks meals (from scratch).

Lots more things help me, but those are some good ones.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I want it bad enough this time, therefore I can and will do it. I can't wait to get to the next level, the next size down in clothing, the next milestone in my life.
  • determined136
    Options
    Preparation is my key. If I am prepared to workout I will succeed. If prepare my foods in advance I will succeed. I take the time to prepare my mindset each day to know that things will come up and I will roll with the punches but before I go to bed I will have eaten healthy and gotten my exercise in.
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    0) tracking and having a real awareness of what I am eating and what I am doing
    1) accepting that I need to exercise and workout as much as possible - and to set myself up to work out with intensity and progress
    2) finding that support helps me when I am not seeing results
    3) looking at and celebrating the success of others and knowing I am not alone as I work towards getting fit
    5) continuing to read and research topics on health and fitness and working out the principles for myself
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    A lot of things have motivated me this time. It was like the 'perfect storm'. Everything just kind of fell into place at once. My husband had some health issues, I was diagnosed with acid reflux, I watched Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, and I became afraid that I would die of a young age from a heart attack, etc. I switched to a plant based diet and an all around healthier lifestyle. It has been 5 months and I feel like my life has changed completely.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    0) tracking and having a real awareness of what I am eating and what I am doing
    1) accepting that I need to exercise and workout as much as possible - and to set myself up to work out with intensity and progress
    2) finding that support helps me when I am not seeing results
    3) looking at and celebrating the success of others and knowing I am not alone as I work towards getting fit
    5) continuing to read and research topics on health and fitness and working out the principles for myself

AGREED !!!
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    A lot of things have motivated me this time. It was like the 'perfect storm'. Everything just kind of fell into place at once. My husband had some health issues, I was diagnosed with acid reflux, I watched Forks Over Knives and Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, and I became afraid that I would die of a young age from a heart attack, etc. I switched to a plant based diet and an all around healthier lifestyle. It has been 5 months and I feel like my life has changed completely.

I just watched both of those documentaries in the last week and they have definitely got me thinking as well. I started juicing for my breakfast and I've been looking for some ways to get more vegetables in my diet throughout the day. The juicing definitely takes some work and I hope I can stick to it.
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law passed away and may dad is really sick, all from lifestyle choices.

When my fil passed away we went to the funeral which as a three day drive for us so we decided we'd stay and visit family for awhile. Before this I wasn't even pretending to care about what I ate but I added fruits and veggies here and there. We started traveling and it was nothing but fast food and junk and soda for almost 3 weeks. By the time we came home I felt so sick I couldn't stand myself. It also hits me that my fil and my dad are not/were not old. I told myself that I am way too young to feel this crappy all the time AND if I feel this crappy at my age how crappy will I feel when I'm my dad's age if I make it that far. Plus I have three kids who I want to see grow and there is a whole lot of life I still want to live.

The day after we got back from the funeral I emptied out the fridge and pantry and went shopping. I gave myself a reality check and really started looking at my habits. I had this MFP account that I opened a year ago but I never did anything with it until the middle of June of this year.

I don't know what snapped in me but enough was enough. I tell myself this is for my health and my happiness. If weight loss comes with it thats just a bonus. I've only really been really working on myself for a couple months now but I'm down 34lbs and I can totally feel my body happily reacting to the changes I've made.

I'm kind of scared because I'm getting to the point where I'm chasing the burn lol. The stronger I get the harder I push myself. I like this though. I have a lot of weight still to go but I feel so good. Every time I feel like throwing out the same excuses as before I remind myself about how bad I felt before and I NEVER want to go back to that place.
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    My father-in-law passed away and may dad is really sick, all from lifestyle choices.

When my fil passed away we went to the funeral which as a three day drive for us so we decided we'd stay and visit family for awhile. Before this I wasn't even pretending to care about what I ate but I added fruits and veggies here and there. We started traveling and it was nothing but fast food and junk and soda for almost 3 weeks. By the time we came home I felt so sick I couldn't stand myself. It also hits me that my fil and my dad are not/were not old. I told myself that I am way too young to feel this crappy all the time AND if I feel this crappy at my age how crappy will I feel when I'm my dad's age if I make it that far. Plus I have three kids who I want to see grow and there is a whole lot of life I still want to live.

The day after we got back from the funeral I emptied out the fridge and pantry and went shopping. I gave myself a reality check and really started looking at my habits. I had this MFP account that I opened a year ago but I never did anything with it until the middle of June of this year.

I don't know what snapped in me but enough was enough. I tell myself this is for my health and my happiness. If weight loss comes with it thats just a bonus. I've only really been really working on myself for a couple months now but I'm down 34lbs and I can totally feel my body happily reacting to the changes I've made.

I'm kind of scared because I'm getting to the point where I'm chasing the burn lol. The stronger I get the harder I push myself. I like this though. I have a lot of weight still to go but I feel so good. Every time I feel like throwing out the same excuses as before I remind myself about how bad I felt before and I NEVER want to go back to that place.

I think my family is a major driver in my want for a lifestyle change as well. My grandfather had multiple heart attacks and actually had a heart transplant. He tried to take care of himself but had a severe case of diabetes and ended up succumbing to that. I have multiple other family members who have diabetes and it is such a cruel disease that I want to avoid at all costs. I don't want to end up like them.

I know what you mean about chasing the burn. When you start working out you can really feel your body struggling to make it through it but then when you start seeing results you push your body. Then you start getting to a point to where your body is handling it better so you keep trying to up your intensity to push to another level. Definitely not a bad thing just stay safe.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    DETERMINATION!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started to study Zen, it's amazing what your mind is capable of =] (Zen is a philosophy, not a religion)

"What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind." - Buddha
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My mind and soul are so determined now. That didnt come easy by any means. Ive learned...hard...over the span of the last 2 years that I am way bigger than I think I am and I hate it. Even with that said, being tall at 6' it helped me to carry my weight well and to never look my weight. However, even with my weight and all the titanium pieces I carry.. ...Ive always had and been proud of having very long, very tan, extremely well muscled shapely legs. At my weight I could still get by wearing short tight denim shorts and even leggings.

NOW? NOW? Now is a whole other ball game. I have fat legs. OMG it hurts to even type that. BUT it IS my resolve......my determination, my single-mindedness to FIX IT for once and for all!!!! And Im 30 some pounds in already

I
    WILL
    SUCCEED
    .............................THERE IS NO TURNING BACK THIS TIME.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Haven't reached my ultimate goal body, yet, but my motivation is my lifestyle change. I treat it that way every day. External motivations include other figure competitors and bodybuilders. They are my idols :heart:
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Wow I'd have to say my fear of failure this time...if I fail this lifestyle program there is a good chance I won't live very long and even though I could drop at any time...the desire to lose the weight and live a healthier life is so drastic this time. I have more drive and want it more than I have ever before. I want to prove that I can do this and stick to the plan. I still have a very long way to go...so very long but I will get there one step at a time.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    1. I feel fantastic. For the first time in my life I like my body, and I'm proud of what it's capable of now and what it will be capable of if I keep pushing. That feeling is utterly addictive.

2. We're doing a "Biggest Loser" contest at work, biggest body fat % change wins around $240. The money is nice, but a friend of mine has talked so much *kitten* about how he's going to beat me that I'm absolutely driven to stomp him. (It's working, so far I'm winning with 1 month left.)

3. My 30th birthday is this January. I can't count on my metabolism and eat what I want, and I want to age like Jennifer Aniston or Halle Berry. Damn those ladies look amazing.
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Determination, persistence, consistency, commitment, education and PATIENCE. The last one is a buggy, lol.
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    1. I feel fantastic. For the first time in my life I like my body, and I'm proud of what it's capable of now and what it will be capable of if I keep pushing. That feeling is utterly addictive.

2. We're doing a "Biggest Loser" contest at work, biggest body fat % change wins around $240. The money is nice, but a friend of mine has talked so much *kitten* about how he's going to beat me that I'm absolutely driven to stomp him. (It's working, so far I'm winning with 1 month left.)

3. My 30th birthday is this January. I can't count on my metabolism and eat what I want, and I want to age like Jennifer Aniston or Halle Berry. Damn those ladies look amazing.

I definitely can sympathize with the slowing metabolism as you approach 30 (I'll be there next year). It's weird to eat food now and at least think you can see your body storing it in places you don't want it to.

Good luck with your contest!
  • jkeeling39
    Options
    Determination, persistence, consistency, commitment, education and PATIENCE. The last one is a buggy, lol.

Patience. Love it. I think this is where so many people lose it. We now live in such an instant gratification age where when we want any piece of information all we have to do is type it in an internet-connected device that when we are setup to put in a week of hard work to lose a pound, most people just can't do it. They want to workout for 20 minutes and step on the scale and see results. Unfortunately, our bodies weren't perfected in the internet age.